• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Dark screen = Speakers power cycle

tomcannon

Morning all. I'm in need of a little assistance. I shall try to keep it brief. I have a pioneer vsx 323, Tannoy 5.1 speaker system and Samsung uhd TV. When the screen goes dark (say for instance at a transition between scenes in a movie) the speaker system seems to click off and on again. This happens whenever the screen goes dark. I hear the av click but sound isn't actually cut from the speakers. A second or so after the av clicks the subwoofer pops back in to action as though it's just getting power again. I don't understand how or why this is happening, it's manageable with the subwoofer unplugged as the sound doesn't cut out and a gentle click from the av isn't too frustrating but I want my subwoofer on for obvious reasons without it popping every 5 mins.

Anyone have any idea on why this is happening and a solution on how to stop it?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

fraggle

Are you sure it's happening, as you say, between transitions of scenes in a movie?

That's very strange.

I know that when a broadcast channel changes from adverts to a movie / programme the output audio format may change. It totally depends on what format the movie / programme and advert was made with, if the advert was 2 channel and the movie 5.1, the audio output from the Sky box (in my case) will change from 2 channel to 5.1 channels and the amp clicks to itself a bit as it's reconfiguring for 5.1, this also causes about a second drop out in audio but this is amp dependant.

I've also had the same thing happen going from a DVD menu (in 5.1) to a "special feature" (in 2.0).

tomcannon

Are you sure it's happening, as you say, between transitions of scenes in a movie?

That's very strange.

I know that when a broadcast channel changes from adverts to a movie / programme the output audio format may change. It totally depends on what format the movie / programme and advert was made with, if the advert was 2 channel and the movie 5.1, the audio output from the Sky box (in my case) will change from 2 channel to 5.1 channels and the amp clicks to itself a bit as it's reconfiguring for 5.1, this also causes about a second drop out in audio but this is amp dependant.

I've also had the same thing happen going from a DVD menu (in 5.1) to a "special feature" (in 2.0).

I could well be confused there then. I've had it running with the sub for a while today and haven't noticed it strangely. Hopefully it's Sod's law and it has now disappeared! Thanks for your comment. If I notice it again I'll comment when it's happened.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom