1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark RGB picture (Philips)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AndyZetec, Feb 23, 2003.

1. AndyZetec

AndyZetec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any problems with an overly dark RGB picture with Philips sets (mines is a 32PW6506) ?. My NTL digibox gives a fine picture through it, but dark areas from XBOX and PS2 lack any kind of detail. Had 2 different sets and both did the exact same thing.

Also anyone know of any SCART switch boxes which dont cause interference ?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

2. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was just having a search for the same thing, i too have a philips tv and tried RGB for the first time on my dvd player yesturday, i too have experianced that it is far darker on RGB but saying that the colour fedlity is far better imho.

so can neone shed any light on the issue (no pun intended:p )
    tom

3. AndyZetec

AndyZetec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, i find bright areas are fine, its just dark patches are so black you cant make out any detail what so ever, takes out all the enjoyment from watching a DVD :(

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    some people have cured this problem by using the remote to enter some sort of menu and adjust some rgb settings dont know about the philips though

5. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The philips 6006 is well known to have this RGB problem, although mine and a few others seem to be okay.

Try a search on dark RGb problem philips 6006, there is something in the service menu that will adjust contrast, but I doubt it will really solve the problem, sorry. :rolleyes:

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Do a search on Philips and RGB issues as there are many threads pertaining to this.

7. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the problem on my 32 inch 6006(search my previous posts), my philips ex-itvdigital box is perfect thru rgb, my ps2 is way too dark and unwatchable and my sony dvp-ns305 dvd player is ok with light and bright areas but no detail on dark scenes and dark areas. i have to use s-video except digibox. its funny how some items are fine some so-so and some useless? :confused: i have tried tweaking all service menu settings with no luck. have not adjusted the ops settings as i do not know what they adjust, but they must adjust something important. anybody any ideas?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <THINKING ALOUD>

I recall members in the past discovering that Philips own kit works fine with RGB, but other brands are dark, as you say.

In fact, I recall some members, when discussing the matter with Philips themselves, being advised to use a Philips-brand DVD player.

I don't know if this is true or not, but your post has made me think about it again. Makes me think that there is something about the make-up of the RGB signal that is output from a Philips product that is more 'compatible' with their own TVs, or which 'compensates' for some 'deficiency' in the set. Of course, a similar RGB signal might be output from other brands (but obviously not Sony in this case, based on your post).

This doesn't affect all of their TVs though (e.g. I used to have a PW6515 for a bit and that looked great with RGB via my Sony DVD player).

Very frustrating if it does mean that you can only use certain brands though :rolleyes:

</THINKING ALOUD>

9. fred67

fred67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi - I am also having the same RGB problem with my 32PW6506. There is a noticeable darkening of the picture with a blue tint when RGB is selected on either my DVD or Digibox. Anyone know how to cure this?

10. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    My brother has the same problem with his Philips 20" 4:3 flatscreen tv, when using his PS2 player.
    He uses composite because of this.

11. Patriarch

Patriarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    atleast you guys GET RGB :D