Dark (Netflix) Season 3

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
German thriller “Dark”, which is described as a “family drama with a supernatural twist”, from acclaimed Swiss director Baran Bo Odar (Sleepless, Who Am I?) and the producers of Oscar winner The Lives of Others.

Dark_US.jpg

Bump to the top, started this and have so far watched 3 episodes and loving it, weirdly entertaining, very surreal, well worth a watch.

Is it subtitles?

In English I mean [emoji16]

I watched the first two episodes on Friday but haven't had chance to continue yet. I decided not to watch it with the American audio dubbing and watch it in its original German with English subtitles. I think if youre gonna watch something then you might as well watch it the way it was made. Interesting start. Not really as humorous or charming as Stranger Things but there are definitely some comparisons. I might watch another episode or two before I go to bed.

@Enigma, its got an English voiceover. That's how it actually comes up on Netflix. So you can either watch it like that or switch to German and stick on the subtitles. I just thought it was a bit distracting listening to them talk in English in American accents when they're in Germany.

I watched the first two episodes on Friday but haven't had chance to continue yet. I decided not to watch it with the American audio dubbing and watch it in its original German with English subtitles. I think if youre gonna watch something then you might as well watch it the way it was made. Interesting start. Not really as humorous or charming as Stranger Things but there are definitely some comparisons. I might watch another episode or two before I go to bed.
It's nice to know it's got English dubbing for someone like me who might feel too lazy to read and watch!! :)

:) To be honest sometimes I forget to read em and I've gotta skip back a minute or two:facepalm:

@Enigma, its got an English voiceover. That's how it actually comes up on Netflix. So you can either watch it like that or switch to German and stick on the subtitles. I just thought it was a bit distracting listening to them talk in English in American accents when they're in Germany.
Yes the dubbed English is dreadful, so i switched to German and subtitles.

Almost finished and it gets going in later episodes after a fairly slow start. Brings together various themes like time travel and religion all set against an ordinary German town. It is well worth the effort of sticking with.

I’ve finished it now and they’ve left it setup nicely for a second series. Well worth another go out.

The English dub is awful I turned it off (selected German 5.1) during the first episode and put on the English subtitles. I've watched three so far and it's getting more interesting as it goes along.

A fantastic show. My girlfriend and I couldn't get enough of it. It has the same power and effect of alcohol, it should be warned. It needs to be moderated so it can be appreciated. It's all too easy to over do it in one sitting with a show like this.

It's a heady cocktail and requires your full attention - there are a bevvy of characters, in three separate eras, to keep track of. Then there's the "supernatural" element to throw you for a loop too. It's a daring show, in that regard. Like a whole town isn't enough to make your head spin! Dark works where it shouldn't though. It's full of emotion, great character work, stunning cinematography and a powerful score - to name but a few of the fantastic aspects of this show. Well done.

Looks great. Wanted to love it but was disappointed by the end.

Started this the other night due to the rave reviews it's receiving. Only up to episode 4 but enjoying it so far. Nice slick production values. Moody and atmospheric too with some effective scoring. Some of the music reminds me of something Philip Glass would create.

Looking forward to seeing how the mystery unfolds. Love a good time-travel mystery.

I was going to mention that film in my post but was waiting to see how it all pans out! Definitely reminiscent of that film - and many others - in various ways.

I watched the creator's earlier efforts, although in film, "THE SILENCE" the other day. My, my what a dark story that was. Although different, elements of the plot, visuals and themes are used here and in "DARK". My notably, someone goes missing in 1986 and then the same thing happens 23 years later, in the same place.

I don't think I can recommend it - it's a good film, don't get me wrong - but it's subject is difficult to stomach and far removed from the graphic novel qualities of "DARK"

Upto Episode 4 at the minute, really enjoying it and you guys were right about the crap english dub, german and subs it is!

Through 3 episodes. Really enjoying it. It's like a cross between Scandi-noir and Stranger Things.

Incredibly well acted, beautifully shot, with a mesmerising, mind-bending plot. It is much like Stranger Things but with much darker overtones and a teutonic clarity; rather than paying homage to 80s movies, it simply sets much of the show in 1986.

Excellent Atmos sound track.

The German language actually makes it even more effective. Make sure you set audio options to German, plus English subtitles.

This show is so good that now we've watched this, we're going through it again so that we can more deeply understand what is going on.

Absolutely thoroughly recommended.

Loved this - just finished it and my brain is hurting from trying to keep up with the story.

While nothing like it i was reminded of the head scratching that TIME CRIMES provoked when I watched that

Los cronocrímenes (2007) - IMDb

Awesome reference, love that film, definitely up there as one of the best time travel films of all time, imo. I think the locations looks identical more than anything and the use of paradox.

Anyway, this show was quality. Me and the missus finished it last night and sort of binge watched it starting from two days ago. Awesome time travel concept and really skilful three (four?) dimensional storytelling.

I mean, some of the twists and turns I could see coming from miles away, but the feel of the show, tone, concepts, cinematography and performances meant that whatever predictable plot element was revealed didn't matter.

Love the infinite possibilities of time travel.

Well worth your time this show is and roll of season 2.

Just finished it last night as well. German audio with English subtitles. I hate dubbing period. One of the most engrossing and thought provoking shows that I have watched in a while. I don't really agree with the comparison to Stranger Things. This is a far darker show and one of the few shows that does science properly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom