Dark HDR content on TU8500

JamieBee

Hi

I have had a 55TU8500 since last Sept and this has been an issue since I have had it to be honest. Every time I watch HDR content on either my Sky Q box, the Netflix app on the TV or the Sky box or on the Amazon Prime app, the screen is so dark, is it virtually unwatchable. I have my brightness and contrast turned almost all of the way up and seem to have to turn Contrast Enhancer up to high just to make it watchable (which doesn't look great apart from the fact it's brighter) and then turn it off again to watch all other content. All non-HDR content looks fine with no issues.

When I read reviews of the TV after I bought it, it did say that HDR content didn't look great and google search shows me that HDR content being too dark is quite a common theme on various TVs (not just Samsung) and devices. I have just been on the phone to Samsung Tech Support, which was a bit of a waste of time. I shared my screen with the agent but all we did was reset the TV to factory settings and change a few things on the hidden engineer menus (white levels I think?) but it made no difference. Is it just something I have to put up with the TV or can it be fixed ? Thanks in advance

A20

Standard Member
Something you have to put up with unfortunately. I think your Samsung has ~300 nits peak brightness - HDR material ideally requires ~1000 nits peak brightness.

mmj

It's not really worth enabling HDR on a 300nit TV, it's like trying to watch the snooker being broadcast in colour for the first time on a black and white TV.

It should really be treated as false advertising, I mean TV manufacturers are marketing HDR on low end sets but the technology just isn't capable, it'd be like old black and white TV's having a colour mode even though the tube is only black and white. I think there needs to be a minimum criteria introduced.

IMO you'd be much better off calibrating SDR mode and running with that.

JamieBee

Thanks for the replies. I have disabled HDR content on the Sky box by changing from 10 to 8 bit, which has helped. It's strange that Netflix does not give you the option to watch content in whichever content you want.

Jay53

Have you tried watching Netflix through app again on sky box as now you've downgraded to 8bit it might force Netflix into not showing HDR?

chrissyman

I have the same TV though a 50 inch version and although HDR content is not the best on this TV, I generally haven't had a problem with it being too dark.
And if so set contrast enhancer on low is enough.

JamieBee

Have you tried watching Netflix through app again on sky box as now you've downgraded to 8bit it might force Netflix into not showing HDR?
Hi - yes, that is exactly what has happened so only HD and 4K is available now. No more HDR !

JamieBee

I have the same TV though a 50 inch version and although HDR content is not the best on this TV, I generally haven't had a problem with it being too dark.
And if so set contrast enhancer on low is enough.
Hi - most HDR content is virtually unwatchable I have found, which is disappointing

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom