1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark display? - Minolta S414

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by EV@, Jun 7, 2003.

1. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I just bought a Minolta S414 for my Dad's birthday, before I give it to him I wanted to learn how to use it so I could show him on his Birthday.
    Problem though!! After installing new and fully charged! batteries, (the battery door on the S414 is flimsy and hard to close!) then after switching it on, it made some noise's the lens moved out etc, but the LCD display seemed to be off, after reading the manual and trying to work the damn thing I noticed the LCD is on but is very very dark, I managed to get to the set-up menu and find LCD brightness control but that made little difference, and its still to dark to make out any detail!
    What is wrong is it knackered or am I not doing something right? anyone else had similar problems?
    Also the sealed set of batteries that came with it died in 10 minutes and got very hot in that time, the batteries were probably duff but should they get so hot so quickly? I've tried some new batteries thats not solved the LCD but I've not checked to see if those batteries die so quickly!
    Any sugestions would be appreciated.

I will be taking it back tomorrow if I can't get it to light up properly anway!

Evo

2. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I didn't experience the same problems as you. First time I switched mine on after charging the batteries (didn't bother with the supplied AA's) the display sparked into life no problem.
    I'd take it back & get them to compare it with another for you, then you can see if it's anything to do with faulty AA's or not. Either way your Pa is going to need rechargables - normal batteries are worse than useless. Good Luck.

3. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K I charged up some Ni-MH batteries and still the same problem, I'm guessing that the LCD lights up with a seperate bulb? as the display is working just to dark to make out detail! am I right in thinking its use's a bulb behind the screen??

Evo

4. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm no techie by any stretch of the imagination but I would say it's an LCD display. I'd take it straight back and get them to look at it for you and replace if necessary.