Dark City

J

jrwood

Just watched this last night, all I can say is WOW what a movie!. I really like the beginning which makes you want to know more about what is going on, it soon picks up pace and the special effects were amazing. I was very surprised how much detail was there even on an LCD projector, very impressed indeed :)

I saw this a few years ago and I wasnt impressed. Having said that, I wouldnt mind seeing it again, just to make sure.

My girl and me saw it in an empty cinema.
Both loved it. I couldn't understand why it sat on New Line's shelf unreleased for a good year-or-so before it made it into cinemas.
Nice Kafka/Metropolis/noir overtones. Keifer Sutherland was trying to be Peter Lorre a bit too much but even that didn't marr my/our enjoyment. Great R1 disc too.

An overlooked film, very enjoyable, better than the semi-similarly themed 'The Matrix' in my opinion.

And Jennifer Connelly's in it, what more could you want?

Amazing movie - one of my all time favs now :)

Totally just my opinion.

I thought it was one of the worst movies of recent years.
They give away the entire plot of the movie at the start. (very tenuous as it is anyway)
The first hour is supposed to be mysterious but as a result of the give away voice over prologue just tedious. The red herrings in the story are similarly tedious . (William Hurts entire character and story could be removed and not be missed)

Jennifer Connelly has all the character of a mannequin. William Hurt is just William Hurt as usual. Rufus Sewell just wanders around with his mouth open and his eyes wide. Richard O'Brian is.... Richard O'Brian. The art direction is ridiculously overwrought and overtly stagey. The music seems to have come from a completely different film probably one with Jean Claude Van Dame in it and it never shuts up. The visual effects are either cheesy or downright bad. The cinematography is plain ugly even when its not supposed to be.The bad guys look like something out of Dr. Who. The finale is laughable.

But worst of all is the editing. Its so choppy it gave me a headache: a simple dialogue between any two characters turns into an editorial tennis match.

The best thing about this movie is the trailer which is way more mysterious , intriguing and exciting than film itself. Also the music is an improvement.

I'd rather sit through Battlefield Earth or Ghosts of Mars than this overwrought drivel.

no offense

I like Dark City.

Nothing like The Matrix if you ask me though. They're very different movies, apart from the fact that they both "question reality".

The Thirteenth Floor is another movie that is pretty good (not as good as Dark City though) and fits into the same mould.

I too like Dark City, one of my favs Sci-Fi films. As well I wouldn't compare it to The Matrix which I do like, too.
Dark City has a certain feel to it which I miss with most newer movies.

Originally posted by Reiner
I wouldn't compare it to The Matrix

It's not comparable as a film in terms of the way it's been made and overall look and feel but the premise at the heart of the plot is similar, questioning the nature of identity and reality.

As he did with The Crow (compared to most comic books turned celluloid), Alex Proyas made a film that had an noticeably different atmosphere and visual slant.

I do however tend to agree with Mr. D that the start of the film *may* be considered slow by most people.

I thought it was pretty good but it could have been better with a slightly bigger budget, a few of the special effects were a little bit Doctor Who. Nice atmosphere and look about the film. Something was missing which I can't quite put me finger on to stop it being truly great. Still above average none the less.

Originally posted by kevb
but it could have been better with a slightly bigger budget,

I reckon the Director would agree with you there Kev :)

I agree, the plot similar to the Matrix and IMHO a great film.

I saw it in the cinema first and I thought the effects were pretty cool at the time.

Kiefer (sp?) can be underated at times. He manages to bring a darkness to the film with his commentry, put that with the dark overtones of the scenes and camera angles and you get a very dark film (which I enjoy).

Jennifer Connely is a bonus and of course Angel (from Home and Away NOT Buffy) 'gets them out'.

Not in the same league as other films but still very underated.

Originally posted by Giles
I agree, the plot similar to the Matrix.
On the R1, comparisons are made with Metropolis. This is a comparison I would agree with more.

Kiefer (sp?) can be underated at times. He manages to bring a darkness to the film with his commentry,
For me, Kiefer Sutherland was the worse part of the movie. He didn't manage to pull off the snivelling aspects of his character at all. But then I've never rated him highly as an actor anyway.

Jennifer Connely is a bonus and of course Angel (from Home and Away NOT Buffy) 'gets them out'.
Perhaps it's because I've only seen it once and this was many months ago, but I don't recall any nudity in the movie. :confused:

Dark City opening scenes R1 is probably one of the top 5 Projector Test Discs IMHO.

Originally posted by Squirrel God

Perhaps it's because I've only seen it once and this was many months ago, but I don't recall any nudity in the movie. :confused:

I have thr R1 perhaps is was cut from the R2, but definately breasts.:D

Yes dead breasts you sicko.

I'd forgotten about them and I wasnt refering to them BUT theres live ones too!

Giles is, of course, correct. The whore (Angel from Home+Away) definitely fetches them out for the lads for a brief moment.

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Giles is, of course, correct. The whore (Angel from Home+Away) definitely fetches them out for the lads for a brief moment.
I have the R2 and as far as I know it is uncut so I'll have to watch it again soon then - I must've missed it the first time.

PHEW!

I thought I was going mental then. I was going to watch it tonight after the beer shop just to make sure.

Mr D. Thank you. You succinctly tore the film up.
Absolutely perfect dissection.
Just one thing missed.
They ripped off the costumes wholesale from Hellraiser.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom