dark channels

wazel1950

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi everyone just got freesat bought 2 humax hd boxes one for main tele one for bedroom.main tele is sandstrom onthis tele a lot of channels are dark while other tele the pictures are great.main tele has great pics on freeview. do you think box with dark channels has a problem sorry not very good with electrics thanks

Hi and welcome to AVF.
You can easily answer your question by swapping the receivers between the two TVs.
If one produces poor results on both TVs there's something wrong with it, though that would be unusual for a Humax.
HTH - Logi

hi logiciel never thought to change over,still dark channels do you think it could be the box then thank you

hi logiciel never thought to change over,still dark channels do you think it could be the box then thank you

Which channels are dark - HD/SD varies? What %
p.s.
perhaps a freesat tune is called for.

Last edited:
That's OK and it certainly confirms that there's a difference between the receivers!
If it's so bad that you can't fix it by adjusting the associated TV then I'd consider a replacement.

Last edited:
That's OK, and I'd do the same - I expect a new purchase to be 100% working right.

It's a HD receiver so you need it to work with a HD connection.

just take it back and get a new one no point having a faulty box which you have paid for you should want za perfect working box.

hi i did take it back guy at currys tried it on one of there tele picture was a lot better than on my tele which is only 6 m0nths old[sandstrom 40 inch bought from same currys]he was not going to refund me until told him make of tele then got refund so hope tele not duff getting sky+hd now so hope its ok thanx john

hi i did take it back guy at currys tried it on one of there tele picture was a lot better than on my tele which is only 6 m0nths old[sandstrom 40 inch bought from same currys]he was not going to refund me until told him make of tele then got refund so hope tele not duff getting sky+hd now so hope its ok thanx john

I hope the move to sky+hd is not to resolve the darkness issue, it is extremely unlikely to help.

From reading your third post it seems to me you've tried the two Humax boxes on the same TV and gotten a dark image, where as the boxes work ok on another TV. I may have missread this.... as others seem to have interpreted the opposite. If I have read it correct, and the demo at the store seems to suggest I have the Humax boxes are working fine and your TV is the problem.

It will continue to be a problem with Sky also. Either it has a fault on the HDMI input or perhaps it has image settings specific to that input? You could test this using a scart connection instead.

I am not familiar with the quality of the Sandstrom TVs. However past experience with cheap DSG specific products has not been good. You may wish to consider a different TV?

if it is your tv it should still be under manufacturers warranty and i would possibly think about getting in touch with them and saying its a faulty tv they should replace the unit or repair it. you should get at least 1 years warranty if not 3years. (it may not be the manufacturers you contact it may be where you bought the tv from depending on the company it can change)

Looking back to post #3 - OP's second post - I see that it could be taken that way, in which case it is the TV that's the problem.
I saw a suggestion somewhere that they were offshoots of Samsung,

Projectors: Like everyone else he has the cover of UK Customer Protection legislation for at least two years.
The initial responsibility is on the supplier, in this case Currys.

to let you all know it wasnt the tele as it worked ok with the second box. was trying to say that currys thot it may be tele guy never said so but his attitude changed when mentioned make of tv and said could get refund thankx all for replies wazel

OK - thanks for the clarification.

to let you all know it wasnt the tele as it worked ok with the second box. was trying to say that currys thot it may be tele guy never said so but his attitude changed when mentioned make of tv and said could get refund thankx all for replies wazel

Glad it's sorted, hope you enjoy Sky.

Me too - out of interest what's the motive of changing from Freesat to Sky so quickly?

hi logiciel i like to watch documentries and nature progs.as one of the freesatboxes i bought didnt work very good thot was a chance to get sky sooner for main tele.

Quite right - There's a lot of them on the free channels, but I wouldn't be without Sky for a few more. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom