Dark and moody home cinema/lounge area

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hey guys, so I've bought my house.

I have a 'dedicated' space available of 4.4M x 6M (okay it can be 6.5 or 7M) as I'm doing an extension.

However, I am not happy for it to be 100% dedicated as I'm extending and designing it from scratch so want it to first and foremost look really nice, rather than it be a dedicated film viewing space.
I want to try and combine
1. Dark moody living room
2. A bar type vibe/setting with ambient light
3. the latter half/third being a home cinema room

Therefore a compromise has to be met. I'll post drawings later. I have chimney breast which will occupy the first third of the room and I for a short while thought about knocking it out but I've decided to dedicate the first half of the room to a whiskey drinker/traditional fireplace seating area as TBH I want the room to look beautiful, more than I want it to 100% light control for my HT lust.

I'll likely keep with an ALR to minimise the small amount of reflected light still there. GOd knows where the architect will choose to put windows.

These are my design inspirations for the room to let you guys see where I'm coming from:

Design ideas:

1. I have fairly tall ceilings so I'd like to ideally have the projector on the top shelf of a custom made bookshelf rather than ceiling mounted, at the back of the room.
2. I aim to have some leather tub chairs near the fire place for a seating area with a semi-precious little table.
3. I am to try and fit like the guy in video 1 has, bar area with whiskey and controlled with some back lighting.
4. I hope to have my rear speakers in the custom made bookshelf cabinet too.
5. The second half of the room will have a four seater long sofa, with the hoverBOSS underneath. The people form the tubchairs will hopefully be able to still see. I might sack off the hoverBOSS if it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the room, in which case I'll sell the parts I gathered. I might have a few single chairs at angles beside the four seater too for additional seating.
6. The screen will be ceiling mounted and electric coming down and ALR with an OLED TV behind it. I am not doing acoustically transparent because I need a TV.
7. wall facing the audience with the projector will obviously have the arendals, all the gear and a subwoofer. I REALLY like the look of my arendals in this dark moody room so I'll probably not need to hide them.
8. The wood panelling from the second video I am very eager to use a feature wall. I have no idea how. Ideally I want it around the whole room but everyone I've asked says I should only do it on one wall. Otherwise I might just go for the detailing in video 1 as IMO it looks very.. moody.

Any ideas or suggestions on improvements and any design inspirations?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Hey guys, so I've bought my house.
Fantastic, congrats :)

6. The screen will be ceiling mounted and electric coming down and ALR with an OLED TV behind it. I am not doing acoustically transparent because I need a TV.
Couldn't you have a TV in a different wall?

I completely understand that your priority is for it to be a nice room to enjoy. The size of your room is really well suited as a cinema room though, rather than a cosy whisky room, and I feel it would be a missed opportunity to not try and get the cinema aspect closer to ideal. If you don't want the screen on show when not using the projector, you could have some lush curtains covering the screen, making it look like they're covering a window. They could even double as masking.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I completely understand that your priority is for it to be a nice room to enjoy. The size of your room is really well suited as a cinema room though, rather than a cosy whisky room, and I feel it would be a missed opportunity to not try and get the cinema aspect closer to ideal. If you don't want the screen on show when not using the projector, you could have some lush curtains covering the screen, making it look like they're covering a window. They could even double as masking.

I have toyed with this idea but in my heart, I'd rather have a compromised cinema room which looks aesthetically pleasing with more traditional features than a dedicated space.

TV will have to be on the same wall because of the speakers. I need the TV I use in that room to benefit from the Arendals :) And I cannot afford in my mind ANOTHER separate 5.1.2 speaker setup. I'll post my (very rubbish) drawing of my plan for the house so u guys get a better idea). The reason for TV (hopeflly 83'' OLED) is for gaming and for entertaining people (e.g. Christmas) when maybe the lights shouldn't be off during daytime hours.

I might need to make the room 7.5M long to accomdate both ideas. I will post a drawing of where the fireplace is. I did do a 'mock up' in real life space felt short trying to incorporate both ideas.

Cinema room wise, I am only worried about 4 seats in my cinema room TBH. so For people I don't like, they can sit at the back in a whiskey chair or on the floor for all I care :D

I also messaged my architect. My parents came over and felt I should be extending out further if its possible as the garden is a decent size.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I have toyed with this idea but in my heart, I'd rather have a compromised cinema room which looks aesthetically pleasing with more traditional features than a dedicated space.
Yes I know, but I wasn't suggesting a dedicated space, I was meaning keep it as you're planning, but try and find a way to have a fixed screen. Not the end of the world if you can't.

TV will have to be on the same wall because of the speakers. I need the TV I use in that room to benefit from the Arendals :) And I cannot afford in my mind ANOTHER separate 5.1.2 speaker setup.

How far up will your pj screen be from the floor? I wonder if the TV could fit underneath, touching the floor, and then raise up (using one of those motorised gadgets) when needed.

The reason for TV (hopeflly 83'' OLED) is for gaming and for entertaining people (e.g. Christmas) when maybe the lights shouldn't be off during daytime hours.
Sounds good. 83" might be overkill, since you also have the projector, but go for it if that's what you want.

I might need to make the room 7.5M long to accomdate both ideas. I will post a drawing of where the fireplace is. I did do a 'mock up' in real life space felt short trying to incorporate both ideas.
Why does the room need to be longer for both ideas? (since the speakers/screen/seating can all be in the same place)?

Cinema room wise, I am only worried about 4 seats in my cinema room TBH. so For people I don't like, they can sit at the back in a whiskey chair or on the floor for all I care :D
Sounds good.

I also messaged my architect. My parents came over and felt I should be extending out further if its possible as the garden is a decent size.
Well it costs more to extend further, but if you've got the space, more is generally better if you can afford it.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yes I know, but I wasn't suggesting a dedicated space, I was meaning keep it as you're planning, but try and find a way to have a fixed screen. Not the end of the world if you can't.

How far up will your pj screen be from the floor? I wonder if the TV could fit underneath, touching the floor, and then raise up (using one of those motorised gadgets) when needed.

Sounds good. 83" might be overkill, since you also have the projector, but go for it if that's what you want.

Why does the room need to be longer for both ideas? (since the speakers/screen/seating can all be in the same place)?

Sounds good.

Well it costs more to extend further, but if you've got the space, more is generally better if you can afford it.

Ah I get what you are saying. I can't do a fixed screen sadly as it will ruin the aesthetic of the room! I ideally want the PJ hidden. I think Arendals (personal taste) look quite sexy.. I don't think a massive white screen does lol. I really really did contemplate this but the issue is I can't afford or find reason in having 2 cinema setups due the cost of receiver, subs and speakers. I can barely afford one setup! (I still lack good sub, dedicated amp/avr, a JVC PJ .. )

I did an estimate of how much the seating will take up. If I follow that guys design idea with the tub chairs and the fire place, ideally I need a fair bit of distance between the tub chairs and the row of cinema seating which faces the PJ without it looking cramped. I'll draw a diagram to illustrate it better.

Yeah. I'm only extending once and we have contacts re:
1. Builder
2. Architect
3. Gardener/landscaper

who are sorting us out so it should HOPEFULLY not be too costly. I'm estimating the extension is 10metres out from the farthest wall and the house is about 14M wide... so its going to be a big extension. 10x 14 = 140 square metres. god damn i didnt realise that.

My dad thinks the builder (kind of family friend) will charge us £25k for the structure because luckily most of the foundations are there due to a stone patio which we have.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Sounds good.

I agree! 83'' will likely be overkill. Its the last thing on my shopping list. If needs be, I will go without a TV for 6-12 months and prioritise the money into structure!

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Ah I get what you are saying. I can't do a fixed screen sadly as it will ruin the aesthetic of the room! I ideally want the PJ hidden. I think Arendals (personal taste) look quite sexy.. I don't think a massive white screen does lol. I really really did contemplate this but the issue is I can't afford or find reason in having 2 cinema setups due the cost of receiver, subs and speakers. I can barely afford one setup! (I still lack good sub, dedicated amp/avr, a JVC PJ .. )

I did an estimate of how much the seating will take up. If I follow that guys design idea with the tub chairs and the fire place, ideally I need a fair bit of distance between the tub chairs and the row of cinema seating which faces the PJ without it looking cramped. I'll draw a diagram to illustrate it better.

Yeah. I'm only extending once and we have contacts re:
1. Builder
2. Architect
3. Gardener/landscaper

who are sorting us out so it should HOPEFULLY not be too costly. I'm estimating the extension is 10metres out from the farthest wall and the house is about 14M wide... so its going to be a big extension. 10x 14 = 140 square metres. god damn i didnt realise that.

My dad thinks the builder (kind of family friend) will charge us £25k for the structure because luckily most of the foundations are there due to a stone patio which we have.

10m x 14m for £25k? That’s more than a close family friend!!!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
10m x 14m for £25k? That’s more than a close family friend!!!
We'll see how it works out haaha.. Its only the structure.

I personally think structure will be closer to 40k! maybe 45k.

I kindly had 25-30k knocked off the asking price so I'm content with the initial structure cost

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Ah I get what you are saying. I can't do a fixed screen sadly as it will ruin the aesthetic of the room! I ideally want the PJ hidden. I think Arendals (personal taste) look quite sexy.. I don't think a massive white screen does lol.
Will the room have windows? Why not have it so that the screen is basically like a window, with lush velvet curtains closed in front of them?

I really really did contemplate this but the issue is I can't afford or find reason in having 2 cinema setups due the cost of receiver, subs and speakers. I can barely afford one setup!
I don't understand, I'm not suggesting 2 setups. Just having the TV in a box underneath the screen, such that is raises up when in use.

I'm estimating the extension is 10metres out from the farthest wall and the house is about 14M wide... so its going to be a big extension. 10x 14 = 140 square metres. god damn i didnt realise that.

Wow that's big. £25k will not pay for labour and materials for that size.

And why does a stone patio have foundations large enough for an extension? I trust your overall budget is quite a few times more than £25k.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Will the room have windows? Why not have it so that the screen is basically like a window, with lush velvet curtains closed in front of them?

I don't understand, I'm not suggesting 2 setups. Just having the TV in a box underneath the screen, such that is raises up when in use.

Wow that's big. £25k will not pay for labour and materials for that size.

And why does a stone patio have foundations large enough for an extension? I trust your overall budget is quite a few times more than £25k.
its a massive stone patio. difficult to explain.

I have £100k in reserve for this project. A lot of the floor and kitchen will be stone work which is at cost for us due to business.

My parents have done a smaller version of this project in the family home already and managed to do it for a song. my dad project managed ours himself. honestly don't know how he did it but i trust him to work his magic again lol.

Room will have windows to the left side of the room because that'll be the only way to get light into the room TBH. I'll draw some rubbish diagram to scale at work tommorow and take a photo of it so u guys can tell me where I'm going wrong.

You'll have to link me this idea as I struggle to imagine/understand the TV in a box thing!

Last edited:

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
We'll see how it works out haaha.. Its only the structure.

I personally think structure will be closer to 40k! maybe 45k.

I kindly had 25-30k knocked off the asking price so I'm content with the initial structure cost

I don’t think your patio counts for much when you’re sorting the foundations for the extension out ad the 40/45k is still very generous. At that price, he’ll be closer to a relative than a close family friend!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I don’t think your patio counts for much when you’re sorting the foundations for the extension out ad the 40/45k is still very generous. At that price, he’ll be closer to a relative than a close family friend!

We'll see when the dust settles and the job is done! :) I have cash in reserve regardless so price isn't a gigantic issue for me at present. I can stretch farther if needed TBH.

From my fairly basic research of property prices of my neighbours and how much they paid for their respective houses with the end-game house in mind once construction is finished, I'm fairly confident I have a lot of wiggle room to ensure it is a good investment.

Otherwise I'd literally not be doing this and just pumping money into the next deposit fund or other investments.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

God damn this curtain double as masking idea sounds like genius!! How did I miss this post!!!

I NEED to do this for the next justice league film in that stupid aspect ratio at the least!!

This is why so important to ask for advice on this forum. That idea in itself is absolutely invaluable.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
its a massive stone patio. difficult to explain.
Weird. The patio could be the size of a football pitch, but it wouldn't normally have foundations suitable for a house. But if yours do, that's a handy saving.

I have £100k in reserve for this project. A lot of the floor and kitchen will be stone work which is at cost for us due to business.

My parents have done a smaller version of this project in the family home already and managed to do it for a song. my dad project managed ours himself. honestly don't know how he did it but i trust him to work his magic again lol.

£100k in reserve is good news. I don't know how your dad has been able to do work so cheap (I'm suddenly picturing the Godfather, and 'famly'), but great if he can.

Room will have windows to the left side of the room because that'll be the only way to get light into the room TBH. I'll draw some rubbish diagram to scale at work tommorow and take a photo of it so u guys can tell me where I'm going wrong.

You'll have to link me this idea as I struggle to imagine/understand the TV in a box thing!
Well you're not necessarily going wrong at all. While I fully understand the desire to prioritise getting the room looking great, in a room that size (ie, as good as that) I'd really try to also make a great cinema room.

TV in a box: some people have flat screen TVs hidden in a box at the foot of their bed. Push a button and the TV comes up. You could do the same with the box under a projector screen.

And then I'd just come up with a solution to hide the screen. Making it appear like more windows seems like the obvious solution, but you could do something else.

Or you could do as planned, and have a screen pull down. But if that's the only solution, I can't help thinking you might as well just stick with an 83" tv and not bother with a projector.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Weird. The patio could be the size of a football pitch, but it wouldn't normally have foundations suitable for a house. But if yours do, that's a handy saving.

£100k in reserve is good news. I don't know how your dad has been able to do work so cheap (I'm suddenly picturing the Godfather, and 'famly'), but great if he can.

Well you're not necessarily going wrong at all. While I fully understand the desire to prioritise getting the room looking great, in a room that size (ie, as good as that) I'd really try to also make a great cinema room.

TV in a box: some people have flat screen TVs hidden in a box at the foot of their bed. Push a button and the TV comes up. You could do the same with the box under a projector screen.

And then I'd just come up with a solution to hide the screen. Making it appear like more windows seems like the obvious solution, but you could do something else.

Or you could do as planned, and have a screen pull down. But if that's the only solution, I can't help thinking you might as well just stick with an 83" tv and not bother with a projector.

Big difference between the two. I don't think an 83'' comes close to the PJ. PJ is my top priority.

Ideally plan is to still have an electric screen AND a TV long term.

I'm not a fan of the TV hidden in a box TBH. I prefer a nice flush mounted TV to the wall with a hidden ceiling recessed PJ screen electric for when it needs to come down and up.

Using this method, when the PJ screen isn't in use, it'll be hidden and the TV wil be visible at the back of the room. I quite like the design of the GX and hopefully sony's new 83'' will look nice wall mounted too.

I also think drawn curtains across the screen would feel awfulyl claustrophobic and I'd hate having to undraw the curtaind and draw them whenever the screen isn't in use. The black screen of the TV will look fairly sleek against the black/matte black wall.. a drawn set of curtains or a white screen peeking through won't imo.

Sadly a 130+'' PJ screen.. especially if I want ALR is going to cost a decent wedge of cash. :(

Last edited:

beechy06

I wouldn’t right off the idea of the TV being motorised to come up infront of a fixed screen just yet, have a look at @KelvinS1965 build thread as he has his that way round and it looks great.

I’m struggling to get an idea of the space you have to work with (although clearly massive!) so would be good to see some floor plans of the existing house / planned extension to see what you could fit in.

Subscribed in anyevent as i’m sure it will be a good build thread :clap:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I wouldn’t right off the idea of the TV being motorised to come up infront of a fixed screen just yet, have a look at @KelvinS1965 build thread as he has his that way round and it looks great.

I’m struggling to get an idea of the space you have to work with (although clearly massive!) so would be good to see some floor plans of the existing house / planned extension to see what you could fit in.

Subscribed in anyevent as i’m sure it will be a good build thread :clap:

Good idea! I need to put more meat on the bones. Will take a photo of a VERY bad plan that I will draw myself tommorow. please forgive me for this... once I get a better plan from architect I'll share that.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Firstly, let me be clear that I understand this if for you, not me, so the goal is to get it as best as possible for you, and if that's a pj screen coming down from the ceiling, that's cool.

Big difference between the two. I don't think an 83'' comes close to the PJ. PJ is my top priority.
IMO if the PJ was your top priority, you'd have a fixed acoustically transparent screen. Your images above show that there's still a sizeable difference between an 83" screen and a 120" screen, but if the centre speaker is under the screen, with the L&R to the sides, it's not the same. That's not to say it won't be great, and you won't still love it, but if the PJ is your priority... :)

Ideally plan is to still have an electric screen AND a TV long term.

I'm not a fan of the TV hidden in a box TBH. I prefer a nice flush mounted TV to the wall with a hidden ceiling recessed PJ screen electric for when it needs to come down and up.
Screens are often on rollers, so having that moving, instead of the TV, is generally the obvious solution. Can you have AT pull down screens? That could give a solution.

Using this method, when the PJ screen isn't in use, it'll be hidden and the TV wil be visible at the back of the room. I quite like the design of the GX and hopefully sony's new 83'' will look nice wall mounted too.
If the TV raised in front of the screen, it would also then be at the back of the room, because you'd have a false wall with the 3 speakers and 2 subs in, with the screen and curtains in front. With the TV wall mounted, you'll have some speakers showing in front of it. That's fine of course, but I'm not sure it's neater than the alternative.

I also think drawn curtains across the screen would feel awfulyl claustrophobic and I'd hate having to undraw the curtaind and draw them whenever the screen isn't in use. The black screen of the TV will look fairly sleek against the black/matte black wall.. a drawn set of curtains or a white screen peeking through won't imo.
A pair of closed curtains over windows don't make a room claustrophobic, and your room is a really good size so I don't see it, but that's cool, it's not for you. I also don't see opening and closing curtains as being more effort that having a screen drop down (either can be electric).

Re looking at a sleek TV or set of curtains: I assume that if you're not watching content, then you'll change where you sit, and you won't be looking straight at either?

So it seems the only solution would be if you can have a retractable AT screen?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Firstly, let me be clear that I understand this if for you, not me, so the goal is to get it as best as possible for you, and if that's a pj screen coming down from the ceiling, that's cool.

IMO if the PJ was your top priority, you'd have a fixed acoustically transparent screen. Your images above show that there's still a sizeable difference between an 83" screen and a 120" screen, but if the centre speaker is under the screen, with the L&R to the sides, it's not the same. That's not to say it won't be great, and you won't still love it, but if the PJ is your priority... :)

Screens are often on rollers, so having that moving, instead of the TV, is generally the obvious solution. Can you have AT pull down screens? That could give a solution.

If the TV raised in front of the screen, it would also then be at the back of the room, because you'd have a false wall with the 3 speakers and 2 subs in, with the screen and curtains in front. With the TV wall mounted, you'll have some speakers showing in front of it. That's fine of course, but I'm not sure it's neater than the alternative.

A pair of closed curtains over windows don't make a room claustrophobic, and your room is a really good size so I don't see it, but that's cool, it's not for you. I also don't see opening and closing curtains as being more effort that having a screen drop down (either can be electric).

Re looking at a sleek TV or set of curtains: I assume that if you're not watching content, then you'll change where you sit, and you won't be looking straight at either?

So it seems the only solution would be if you can have a retractable AT screen?
I think our tastes differ. I think the closed curtains will look awful.

I am content with a retractable alr screen because I sometimes like content on with some ambient light especially when entertaining guests, parties etc.

As I said, I don’t want to go down a fixed screen for aesthetic reasons. I don’t think they look good.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So when you close your window curtains, do you think that looks awful?
I think curtains feel claustrophobic, definitely compared to open spaces. I will already have a set of curtains either side of the wall. The last thing I want is a room full of curtains (there will be a window on the left side of the room for natural light).

I want to emphasise and show of the architecture of the room, not a pair of curtains!

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I think curtains feel claustrophobic, definitely compared to open spaces.
Well it's not an open space, it's a wall, right?

I will already have a set of curtains either side of the wall. The last thing I want is a room full of curtains (there will be a window on the left side of the room for natural light).
Either side? You'll have curtains on the wall to the left of the screen for your window. Why will you have curtains on the right wall? Indeed you don't want a room full of curtains.

I want to emphasise and show of the architecture of the room, not a pair of curtains!
Exactly what architectural wonder are you going to have on your flat wall that's got an 83" TV on it?

Anyway, you've decided to go for a fixed TV with a drop down projector screen, so that's cool.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Well it's not an open space, it's a wall, right?

Either side? You'll have curtains on the wall to the left of the screen for your window. Why will you have curtains on the right wall? Indeed you don't want a room full of curtains.

Exactly what architectural wonder are you going to have on your flat wall that's got an 83" TV on it?

Anyway, you've decided to go for a fixed TV with a drop down projector screen, so that's cool.

By open space, I mean exposed architecture. Being able to see coving, detail, light fittings.. you know something other than curtains.

Yes, the curtains will be either side of the room similar to @mb3195 in order to eliminate wall reflections when the room is in proper cinema use (i.e. to maximise perceived contrast).

The room detail and design are all still in my mind and things I need to iron out with the architect but rest assured, it will be something which looks better than a closed pair of curtains hopefully.

I think I might be better asking for advice on an interior design forum first on these rooms!

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
By open space, I mean exposed architecture. Being able to see coving, detail, light fittings.. you know something other than curtains.

But a screen, if covered with curtains, wouldn't hide coving or light fittings. The only thing is would cover is a blank wall, which you're going to cover with an 83" TV. And that's fine, I'm sure it will look good. Let's just not pretend that the reason is that you don't want to cover up some architecture.

Yes, the curtains will be either side of the room similar to @mb3195 in order to eliminate wall reflections when the room is in proper cinema use (i.e. to maximise perceived contrast).
Oh ok, I didn't know you were doing that, I thought you were going to just keep the room dark and stylishly moody, without the need for blackout curtains. With curtains to the side for blackout, and separate curtains for a screen, it would become a bit much.

The room detail and design are all still in my mind and things I need to iron out with the architect but rest assured, it will be something which looks better than a closed pair of curtains hopefully.
There would be other options, but you want the TV on the wall and don't seem as bothered about having an AT screen, so you can move on to the next decision.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
But a screen, if covered with curtains, wouldn't hide coving or light fittings. The only thing is would cover is a blank wall, which you're going to cover with an 83" TV. And that's fine, I'm sure it will look good. Let's just not pretend that the reason is that you don't want to cover up some architecture.

Oh ok, I didn't know you were doing that, I thought you were going to just keep the room dark and stylishly moody, without the need for blackout curtains. With curtains to the side for blackout, and separate curtains for a screen, it would become a bit much.

There would be other options, but you want the TV on the wall and don't seem as bothered about having an AT screen, so you can move on to the next decision.
The wall is going to have more than an 83 inch TV on it. 83 inches is really not that big against a wall that is 4-5m wide imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
JBL Synthesis SDP-55 processor and SDR-35 AVR now available separately
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Technics launches SL-1200MK7 DJ turntable in silver
  • By Andy Bassett