Dark 4K picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bert2, Apr 16, 2018.

1. bert2

bert2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Watching the first 4K blue-ray I have bought on my new Epson EH-TW7300 4K-enhanced projector played by my Sony 4K Blue-ray player the film was very dark, unwatchable if fact, and playing with the brightness setting turned up did not improve the picture at all. . Watched on my old plasma, thus not 4K, TV the brilliance was normal. 4K from Netflix plays normally through the projector. I suspect the HDMI cable is not HDMI 2 let alone 2a which the Blue-ray indicates is required. Would this be right? If so I have a lot of carpet and floor boards to uplift.

2. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Might just be the projector. 4k content on projectors generally not as good as TVs - I can talk from experience. Can you see on your projector menu what input signal you are receiving? That will tell you if you are getting a 4k signal or not. I would have thought 4k content would work or not via the cable, not give you a 'worse' picture unless you source or projector are downscaling.

Edit: by 'not as good' mean projectors generally struggle with brightness levels on 4k, generally resulting in being too dark

3. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    I doubt HDMI cables are the culprit

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Sounds like an HDR problem which is pretty common in projectors.

If your pj has a range of 0 to 100 from dark to bright, it will use all of that for a normal SDR image. When it gets an HDR image it will use something like 0 to 50 for the SDR range, and reserve the 51 to 100 for the HDR specular highlights. So what you then get is an image that is generally dimmer than what you get with normal non HDR content.

If you go over to the 7300 owners thread and ask there, they will give you the best settings for your pj to get a more acceptable HDR image.

Luckily I doubt it's a cable problem.

5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Search for the harpervision settings on the Epson avs thread. I think from memory they work on the 7300 although I had used them on the 9300 with decent success.

As people have already mentioned, projectors can struggle with HDR content. The harpervision settings trick your projector into thinking it is still receiving an SDR image.

6. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    Although not the same brand/model, I too have a (laser) short-throw projector that accepts 4K HDR, and settings must be adjusted accordingly or picture will look too low in brightness, to high in contrast, and greyscale also totally different ootb from SDT playback