1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daredevil

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sgt.Colon, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watched the trailer for this movie and I can't say I'm keen. Just can't get with Ben Afleck playing a superhero. :thumbsdow

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh come on... with that jawline he was born to play a superhero!:D I'll be going to see it anyway. I think MCD as kingpin is a great piece of casting. Although Jennifer Garner looks really out of place on film (she looked so odd in Pearl Harbour).

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to say it, but I'm giving this one a miss just because of Affleck as well. Sorry, but the studio that hires him deserves to be punished. :p

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    director (not of this film) kevin smith is an authority on Daredevil as he wrote and some say reinvented the comic book series and he has said that it is good.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I’m with you James. Daredevil is one of my favourite superhero characters.
    Though I do have some doubts though about Karen Page not being his girlfriend but Electra. And Kingpin not being white:eek: , ((they did that with the original Batman film Harvey Dent was played by Billy De Williams(black) then he was Tommy Lee Jones (White) in as he should be in Batman Forever)), mind you he is a big rascal.
    Why do they always have to alter things.

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the MCD thing is pure genius. there are some shots in the Daredevil film of Kingpin standing at his window looking out on the city (they use the some shot of kingpin in the comics all the time, makes him look omnipotent) and MCD has exactly the same silohette as Kingpin. ignoring the colour of his skin MCD is kingpin.

7. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with Garrett .

Why do they alter things ?

Im a big Marvel Fan and ive grown up with the kingpin being white (i must stress this is NOT a racist thing at all) .
    I just hate it when they change things to either be PC or Hollywood freindly .
    Itll be strange if they bring out a Spiderman ll and Daredevil ll and we have 2 different colours of kingping .
    Perhaps in the Hulk we could have a Chinese one

Ben Affleck as Daredevil hmmm well ill have to reserve judgement until I see it but mabye the mask and Dark glasses may hide his wooden acting .

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who else has the natural stature to play kingpin?

it looks like the bad guy in Spiddy 2 will be Doc Oc anyway

9. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who else has the natural stature to play kingpin?

hmmm now are you asking if there are any fat white actors ??

because theres loads or is it the hard acting skills need to play him ?

this is the Kingpin fat crime lord in a comic not Richard lll

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats just it, he's not really fat in the traditional sense. he's very tall, very, very built with fat, a man mountain.

your point of view that you wouldn't need a good actor to play kingpin is exactly the reason why so many comic films are screw ups. if you start with that attitude what's the point in doing it at all.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Or any other role for that matter :D

12. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lmao. :D

I really like him and thought he was top in Good Will Hunting, Dogma and Changing Lanes.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I did not think he was that tall in the comics, and not really fat, more very odd shaped muscles that gave him the appearance of being fat, I think he surprised Spidey the fist time they fought, as he was able to move faster than what he though a fat man would move, Kingpin also grabbed hold of Spider-Man and swung him round like a wet rag as he was very strong.

14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends in which series he appears as the bad guy and who is drawing/writing the book. In the Punisher he is considered quite fat and of regular (albeit quite strong) abilities. In Spidy he is taller, faster and a dangerous man in a fight. Although when he has appeared in the Hulk series he is bordering on super status himself, not a man to be messed with.

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a few positive reviews, and this does seem to be more of a thinking man's comic book adaptation, and less of a big budget CGI-filled 2 hour toy commercial. (I won't name any names, but you know what I'm talking about)

But, Ben Affleck is one of those actors who I just can't abide. I'll wait for this one on video, unless word of mouth is really really good.

16. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your point of view that you wouldn't need a good actor to play kingpin is exactly the reason why so many comic films are screw ups. if you start with that attitude what's the point in doing it at all.

I didn`t make that point .
    I said he didn`t need to be a totally different colour and there are many actors who could play the part and no your wrong that is not why many comic films are screw ups .
    That is for the reason I am saying they change to much of the original story .

don`t make out as if i said the part could be done by anyone because i didn`t say that ,but to say and keep saying it can only be done be 1 black actor is wrong .

The Kingpin is a mutant he has powers he is near invulerable and has great speed but he is fat in his appearance.

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I’m not up to speed on the present status of Kingpin but I dident know he was a mutant, you description sounds a bit like Juggernaut but he isn’t a mutant as he got his powers buy magic. Sorry if I’ve got it wrong. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    didn't say that... said the casting was genius, simple as that I'm sure someone else could play him but who cares MCD looks great as kinpin.

I've never heard of Kingpin being a mutant either he's just a regular, if rather large, guy.

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, I've not read a bad review of this anywhere!!:eek: It was a toss up between this and Treasure Planet this weekend and it looks like DD has won, hands down.....

20. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haven't seen any reviews yet but that's certainly encouraging I think I'll see this at the weekend too.

21. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its true about the reviews .

I really want to like this film but I feel im going to hate it but everyone keeps saying how great it is so thats cool .
    Part of me wants to hate it as well because of Affleck

God sorry im confusing myself I better just go and see it and keep quiet .

Kingping is a mutant but he keeps it a secret . In one of the back issues of Spiderman he explains how he was teased as a child for being so large and beaten by his father as he was also not very bright I can`t quite remember how he became clever (i think he volunteered for some sort of experiment) but he swore is revenge on the world .
    He explained all this as he was fighting Spiderman as he is just as fast and as strong if not stronger .

Ok James45 ill leave it there on the casting thing was just making a point about hollywood changing stuff but fair enough we both have our points;)

22. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's cool... buy a big tub of popcorn, leave any preconceptions at the door and just enjoy. I have a feeling that's what I'll be doing on Saturday.

I definitely think the Affleck box office draw is a US only thing. I like him in Kevin Smith stuff because he shows himself he is prepared to take the **** out off himself in the biggest way and just have fun... but Pearl Harbour was unforgivably cheesy.

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Pearl Harbor all but killed him off. I thought he was very good up until then....a sort of young Harrison Ford type figure. Everyone deserves a second chance and I think he'll prove himself with DD.

HOWEVER, why didn't Pearl Harbor kill of Josh Hartnett??:confused: I don't think he's made a decent film since - BHD was average and 40 days, 40 nights was terrible.

:smashin: :smashin: for Daredevil I'm reckoning...though I'm sure we'll find out Friday or Saturday.

24. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ....a sort of young Harrison Ford type figure.

That wasn't a hint to "Sum of all Fears", was it? Actually I thought he did a good job there though generally I don't really like him either.

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch out for BEN AFFLECK - AS INDIANNA JONES JNR IN INDIANNA JONES IV :laugh:

26. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and roll around on the floor laughing as an evil 'british' Nazi says "Dr Jones!" and Affleck, Ford and Connery turn round at once saying yes in unison!!:rolleyes: