Daredevil - Director's Cut Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 16th November 2008
Ben Affleck’s finest hour before the cameras, Daredevil is tremendous fun. The character is treated with a great deal of respect, despite the goof-ball elements that are thrown in by Favreau. Part Greek Tragedy, part tortured Catholicism, part familial redemption – Daredevil can be many things. Mark Steven Johnson was the right fan for the job, but I can't help feeling that with a few more projects under his belt and a few more years under the bridge he would have been the right man to have brought home the power and majesty of the saga as well. As it stands, he defeats criticism with his main man's bonafide integrity within the part, a level of brutality that is still refreshingly unique in the genre and, in this director's cut, much more story to bite on.

Fox's disc carries terrific sound and an image that may have some slight niggles but is still far better than the SD version. The raft of extras is unsurprisingly padded out with some superfluous gubbins, but there is definite quality here too. The commentary and the vast-ranging making of are both excellent and the Marvel tribute to the character and those who helped him evolve over the years is worth its weight in gold. Even if you haven't seen the film before – in either version – this is definitely worth a blind buy. Oops, sorry … couldn't resist that.

Read the full review...

:rotfl:

The disc reviewed is coded Region A, for USA models only.

Amazon list the UK version release date as 20 April 2009 but I'm unable to confirm if this is correct

Cheers

Simon

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I Watched the film last night and more a less agree with you on all fronts Chris.

The surround early on in the film is probably the bet I have heard but tails of as the film goes on. The hospital scene is on a demo disc and rightfully so.

Although not one of the greatest comic book adaptations I really like the film. There are some things I did not like and come to live with others persist.
Originally I did not like Kingpin being black as hes white in the comics but the late Michael Clarke Duncan does a wonderful job. The only person I had issues with and still do is Colin Farrell portrait if Bullseye.
Why did he ask Kingpin for a costume and still never wore one.
Also h Daredevil's radar sense I always understood it was him sort of him receiving images from his own sense not having the need for the likes of rain or hitting railings to send out sonic waves for them to be bounced back. I'm sure in the comic the like of multi objects would confuse his senses rather that enhance them.

I did not like the mask either I don't know why they did not go with the original design.

The idea of the death of SPOILER and for the comic
Electra father is very reminiscent of Bulseye killing Karen page with the Daredevil's Billy Club although the twist is Karen gets in the way to save Daredevil.

The extras seem very extensive although I did not like the fact the opening of them was pure guess work as theyre in brail and who can use breail on a tv.

I watches a few and theres the obligary how great the actors though the chararter was.

John Romita one of the first artist on the comic got fame as the title of the boxer Matt's father fought in the film .

Frank Miller also is in the film who Bullseye steals the bike from.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom