Darbee 4k Video Processor (coming spring 2021)

I wonder if this might be available via the Lumagen as a software upgrade

most displays have enhancement features who do something alike, so if you prefer to lower resolution and get a more aggressive look, to help definition when your eyes get older and having a hard time focusing on the screen, Deabee is not the only solution.

Big movie studios make pristine 4k video-releases with the best available equipment in the world, and people feel the need to process the hell out of it. Make no sense to me.....

Last edited:
most displays have enhancement features who do something alike, so if you prefer to lower resolution and get a more aggressive look, to help definition when your eyes get older and having a hard time focusing on the screen, Deabee is not the only solution.
Not a fan then .....

Not a fan then .....
Ill think as i get older and my eyes worse it might be useful to sharpen up the edges, i have quite a few Darbee processors in OPPO and Lumagen products, and done a lot of testing, one thing is sure, its destroying resolution and fine details, i can make Tom Cruise look 90 years old with Darbee, thats how powerful it is.
All enhancement processing is deliberate image distortion, and it can never compensate for flaws in bad displays. Its a subjective thing, and if people like it, then thats what they should get, objectively its the wrong direction from a purist standpoint.

I guess it’s like film grain and acutance, sometimes helps

Looking forward to it. Best image enhancer I have seen and works great with madvr as well. On my, now sold sony 500es, it worked wonders. I hope its added to other products like lumagen etc. Looking at getting a jvc nx9 now would love to try out darbee 4k on that!

I had the Darbee Darblet for my JVC-HD350 and Epson 9200 for a while, but ended up selling it as I didn't think it added a huge amount for my tastes anyway. As I moved to the Epson 9400 with 4k content I didn't see the need for it. Others really like them, which is great as it made it easy to sell on.

It will be interesting to see if the 4k version is as effective. I think the HD darblet is/was great if used on lower settings.

The most interesting part of this is the availability of cost effective HDCP capable hardware able to use an FPGA to process video. I can think of other more interesting uses for that - like 3DLUT, tone mapping, etc etc...

Looking forward to it. Best image enhancer I have seen and works great with madvr as well. On my, now sold sony 500es, it worked wonders. I hope its added to other products like lumagen etc. Looking at getting a jvc nx9 now would love to try out darbee 4k on that!
I thought MadVR was supposed to be the best image enhancer ever?
Why on earth would you need a Darbee in that case, let alone want to use one to enhance the 'best ever' enhancement?

I am struggling to see why one would be needed, especially with native 4K devices. These already tend to have great enhancement tech already built in too.
Curious to read reviews when it finally hits though.
I hope they make it a standalone DTM box. That would be something that would go down well with many at that price.
They missed a trick if it is just an image sharpener for 600 sovs though.

There is no mention of dolby vision or even if it can do a passthrough.

I will wait for the reviews.

I'm struggling to see how there can be a market for a 4k darbee, don't get me wrong I've got a darbee in my chain and love how it appears to sharpen a 1080p image, but surely a 4k film would sharp enough already wouldn't it?

I'm struggling to see how there can be a market for a 4k darbee, don't get me wrong I've got a darbee in my chain and love how it appears to sharpen a 1080p image, but surely a 4k film would sharp enough already wouldn't it?
Indeed. Making it a standalone DTM box (on which you enter some simple parameters such as screen size, gain and basic colour of room etc) that simply sits between your Source/AVR and projector would be far preferable to me.

Anyone know a release date
It can be pre-ordered worldwide from Pixelgen Design, but the shipping charge to northern europe is steep, $52.00, total was $651.00 should be the same to the UK? regardless I will wait on some hands on reviews first. On the plus side it comes with a 3 years limited warranty. My dvp5000s from cable solutions, Cable Solutions had a 1 year warranty. Just found this for the delivery date to start...
PXLVISION
(Qty: 1) M/N: PXLVISION
Available for PRE-ORDER only, you will be notified upon shipment. Estimated ship date begins 06/21, looks like a summer release in 2 months.

Last edited:
There is no mention of dolby vision or even if it can do a passthrough.

I will wait for the reviews.
  • Max High-speed Bit-rate: 17.91Gbps/5.94Gbps per/CH (4K60 8-bit 4:4:4)
  • 4K60/50/30/25/24, 1080p120/60/50/24, 720p60/50, 1080i60/50 (With DVP™)
  • Standard Dynamic Range: 4K SDR formats with sub-chroma sampling up to 4:4:4, 60 frames per second & 12-bit colour depth
  • High Dynamic Range: 10-bit 4K HDR formats (HDR10, HDR10+, Hybrid Log Gamma) at 60 frames per second with DVP™ enhancement available with future firmware release
  • Colour space: BT.2020, BT.709, BT.601

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom