Daqus Bluetooth Headphones Audio Delay.

norfbech

Hi all,

Daughter ordered some Daqus bluetooth headphones as linked below:

DAQUS Bluetooth Headphones

These were to replace a Sony WH CD700n pair (which were actually relatively new and not used a great deal). We'd lost one of the signals from the ear and despite doing all the factory resets and me taking them apart and multi meter testing the wires (which seemed ok) but could not find a fault. I suspect it's in the main driver but this is all sealed up would need breaking open, ordering a new one and a bit of soldering I presume. Out of warranty but there might be an option for these to be fixed at a cost....which given I may have to return the Daqus above might be the better option?

The Daqus in question have a delay on video - at least 1/4 of a second and as my daughter mainly uses these for videos they've fast become intolerable. Nothing I can do has been able to fix it. I've read that it's probably down to low latency issues and that a possible fix would be an adapter (btw - the main use is headphones to either iPad or iPhone rather than TV) but is that even feasible with an iPhone or iPad given the lack of connections on those (never mind adding bulk)?

Many thanks.

nwgarratt

It does sound like the headphones are not low latency. Both the iphone/ipad as well as the headphones need to be low latency. Assuming the iphone/ipad has low latency, this adapter can make the headphones low latency by plugging into the 3.5mm socket as receiver mode and use it for bluetooth instead of the bluetooth in the headphones.

Glovery Transmitter/Receiver

norfbech

It does sound like the headphones are not low latency. Both the iphone/ipad as well as the headphones need to be low latency. Assuming the iphone/ipad has low latency, this adapter can make the headphones low latency by plugging into the 3.5mm socket as receiver mode and use it for bluetooth instead of the bluetooth in the headphones.

Glovery Transmitter/Receiver

Thanks nwgarratt. Interesting option - I have seen these mentioned. The only trouble with this is having that dangling from your headphones...may as well use the 3.5mm cable that comes with it!
In saying that, the only issue with the delay is with video (although possibly if taking calls too?).
I'll weigh it up with my daughter. Might be worth seeing how much a repair for the SonyWH CD700n's are first (as the combined cost of the DAQUS and the adapter will be over £50).

Cheers.

nwgarratt

I might be doing the same thing in the future. My current TV headphones are also not low latency. I found this on ebay which would mean the adapter just hangs a little down rather than using a cable

3.5mm adapter

norfbech

I had a look at that 3.5mm jack coupler but not sure how it's integrated with your headphones and adapter (can't picture basically) - any photos to show?

Looks like a good option btw and something I may need if my TV doesn't connect with any future bluetooth kit I get.

My daughter is autistic which means everything has to be just right so she wouldn't be happy with the dongle on her headphones (and as this is for iPad/iPhone it would be easier just to connect the cable direct).
I'm going to book the SONY WH-CH700N's in with the repair centre...I'd usually have a go at fixing myself but it looks like ordering a new driver, ripping apart and soldering and I don't have that time at the moment. Depending on the cost we'll see if its worth progressing with the fix.

Thanks!

nwgarratt

The coupler would connect to the cable socket input on the headphones and the other end into the bluetooth adapter. It would mean it be hanging down under one ear on one side. It also means any volume adjustment is done on the iphone/ipad. There are no volume controls on the adapter.

I have the previous version of the adapter which does not have low latency which I why I am thinking of getting the new one plus the coupler. I made crude attempt with a wire what it looks like.

it is probably better to fix the headphones.

bb.jpg

Jules Tohpipi

Neither the iPad nor iPhone support the aptX Low Latency standard (aptX-LL) which is the usual means for eliminating lag.

This doesn't necessarily mean you need to give up hope, rather it now becomes a trial and error process to see which headphones will be OK or not.

I've got an iPhone 6S Plus and a set of these headphones. I'm sensitive to lag and can't detect any lag when watching Youtube videos - be that in Safari or Chrome. No lag watching iTunes films on the iPhone either. Ironically, my Sony XM2s costing five times more have quite noticeable lag.

Amazon product
Bog standard aptX and aptX-LL are basically the same codec and vary only in the buffer settings. So I'm guessing the buffer on the August headphones (for its aptX-LL feature or otherwise) is much tighter compared to the Daqus headphones. And, of course, that my iPhone is not inherently laggy in its Bluetooth execution either, hence why it's all OK.

Assuming your version of the iPhone is not laggy also, then you might be golden with the August headphones.

Last edited:

norfbech

Thanks Jules. Another option. Same lag on the iPad so it's not down to the iPhone.
Be a bugger if I ordered that adapter and that didn't fix it either. Those Sony WH-CH700N were quite pricy so I'm sending them off for a fix (once I know how much they will cost). If relatively reasonable then we'll probably keep the Daqus for music (when she works out/goes to the gym) and the Sony's for home.

I"m the same as her...can't abide any lag (and that's coming from someone who grew up on badly dubbed Kung Fu movies....).

Thanks! I'll let you all know how I get on.

As another slight aside...has anyone gone into fix/replace the drivers in headphones like this?

norfbech

Neither the iPad nor iPhone support the aptX Low Latency standard (aptX-LL) which is the usual means for eliminating lag.

This doesn't necessarily mean you need to give up hope, rather it now becomes a trial and error process to see which headphones will be OK or not.

I've got an iPhone 6S Plus and a set of these headphones. I'm sensitive to lag and can't detect any lag when watching Youtube videos - be that in Safari or Chrome. No lag watching iTunes films on the iPhone either. Ironically, my Sony XM2s costing five times more have quite noticeable lag.

Amazon product
Bog standard aptX and aptX-LL are basically the same codec and vary only in the buffer settings. So I'm guessing the buffer on the August headphones (for its aptX-LL feature or otherwise) is much tighter compared to the Daqus headphones. And, of course, that my iPhone is not inherently laggy in its Bluetooth execution either, hence why it's all OK.

Assuming your version of the iPhone is not laggy also, then you might be golden with the August headphones.

These might be a good option for my son in that case (need to order some for his birthday).
He has an iPhone he uses a lot (with headphones) but this is generally used to group chat with his mates whilst he's on Roblox! I'll take a quick look - it's either these or go safe with wired options.

Many thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom