Question DAP with USB C to outboard Dac

killie77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m looking for DAP which has usb c out to something like a Cyrus portable Dac. Was looking at a Sony Walkman but not sure which model has this.
Thanks
Ian

I have not heard it but I am not sure a Cyrus offers better sound quality compared to any competent dap? Or that this offers any advantages to going from a usb C smartphone to the Cyrus. Anyway:

Sony A55
Sony A105
Sony ZX507

Last edited:
Thanks
was considering the A55 or A105
do these offer USB C connection ?

Thanks
was considering the A55 or A105
do these offer USB C connection ?
The Sonys use their own specific DPort connection in the device, and it terminates in a standard USB 2 Fitting. You can of course adapt that to mini, micro,. nano or USB C . The Dport is similar but not identical to the older Apple connection

Now there would be no advantage in feeding the output from these Sonys into a DAC..why would there be?. The Sony is a DAC. And using it that way would be no better than a SD memory card.
The way to look on these Sonys ..and I am a fan, is as a stand alone device, giving excellent audio for hours and hours into good quality headphones. They have an ancillary use as an input source into a hi fi ,using their headphone socket and internal memory and an extra role as a systems DAC, by taking digital music files from external sources . I see these roles as very much auxiliary, as the output voltage level of the Sony is not loud enough for standard Aux inputs.

Stephen, I have both the Cyrus Soundkey and the Sony A45 and Sony A35. The Soundkey will drive the same headphones much louder..even with the soundlimiting off on the Sony. I have only given up the use of the Cyrus with my Samsung S7, because the nano usb on the phone is wonky,..not enough to bother charging, but enough to cause dropouts on audio. Anyway the Sonys are good enough, but I think the Cyrus +S7 + UsbAudio Pro software shaded it on Headphones.

Thanks fro the very informative reply.
I have the Cyrus Soundkey was using it with a Samsung Note 9,, Sold the Note now have an iPhone XS Max. I guess I could buy the apple adaptor which would then let me use the USB C connection.
I like the Sony Walkman's and believe the sound output would be better than the iPhone.
just bought a portable Dac Headphone amp off the Classifieds not sure what to do now.
Might put the Cyrus up for Sale which would take that out of the Chain.
Thanks
Ian

Thanks fro the very informative reply.
I have the Cyrus Soundkey was using it with a Samsung Note 9,, Sold the Note now have an iPhone XS Max. I guess I could buy the apple adaptor which would then let me use the USB C connection.
I like the Sony Walkman's and believe the sound output would be better than the iPhone.
just bought a portable Dac Headphone amp off the Classifieds not sure what to do now.
Might put the Cyrus up for Sale which would take that out of the Chain.
Thanks
Ian
I am pretty sure that any of the Sony Wna35,45,55 will be better than any iPhone. I suspect ..based on my experience, that the Cyrus if fed from the iPhone with whatever adapter is necessary, will surpass the Sony. But there is a caveat... It will look naff, and , any of these inline DACs eat phone battery charge. I learned my lesson when the phone died after arriving at the airport terminal in the rain and having a two hour wait for a bus.

Thanks again
I have a pair of cheap Bluetooth buds for use with the iPhone, so pretty much sorted their. Have a pair of Shure in ears that I’d like to use with something like the Sony or similar. Would prefer something with Android if possible that could stream Spotify and Apple Music.
Thanks
Ian

Ah well lead with that next time 😎 :D

Shure have had several attempts at wireless Bluetooth adaptors. The 2020 effort is under the "aonic" branding

Maybe let others be the guinea pig tho, Shure's previous bluetooth adaptor efforts got reviews about dropouts and stuff

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom