DAP virgin - desperately needs advice

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dmjohnson123, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Please be gentle - as stated I am a DAP virgin.

I am looking to buy my first DAP player.

I'll be mainly ripping CD's but may do some downloading of tracks/albums.

When downloading is there a download site/service that will allow me to use the files downloaded on my PC, record them to CD for playing in the car, on my MP3 player and on another MP3 player (my wife wants one for christmas).

I am looking at the following players:

iriver H10 20GB.
    creative Zen Sleek 20GB.

Is one of these players better given my need for flexible downloading.

Any constructive comments greatly appreciated :smashin:

2. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What brought you to this shortlist? There may be other things you want to consider, such as battery life, ease of use, format support (for ripping CDs you can use any format and bitrate your player supports, music downloads are obviously limited to whatever format is available on the site, and there may be DRM limitations about what you do with the file you buy), gapless playback (you say you want to rip CDs, note that most players add their own really annoying gap between tracks so you have been warned, sony with ATRAC and Rio Karma with ogg/mp3 will playback the same as the CD if you want to listen that way and not just in shuffle mode), general sound quality, looks etc etc.

Any 20GB player is going to give you a couple of hundred albums in your pocket (depending on the quality you rip at), no player is yet perfect, but some players will be better suited to how you want to play music than others. Unless listening to downloads from a specific site is your top priority, you might be best to get the best player for your general listening needs and then find compatible download sites.