1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAP - General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 17, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, bit of an experiment here. The Mods may decide it's not appropriate and take it down, but we'll see ...

We seem pretty fond of going 'off topic' on posts in this forum, so how about we do all our general MP3/DAP-related chit chat in this thread? Like I say, it's just an experiment, but one which may help keep other threads 'pure', making life easier for those wanting to follow them solely for the reasons they were created.

Can I get a high five? :hiya:

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. So, officially the loneliest man in this thread now, huh ..?

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I think I've found the ultimate accessory for you HD5 owners :)

Chip on your shoulder ;) :devil:

Attached Files:

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Ha Ha brilliant John. :rotfl:

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My knickers are now wet. Thanks! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, gerbilly ... thought I'd return the favour. Perfect iPod accessory. Even do them in white ...

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    :D He's obviously demonstrating that the iPod is so easy to use, he can control it with his teeth !

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the iPod's shortcomings have driven him insane ...

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    On a more serious note everyone, please ignore and delete any PM that you had today from a member (now banned!) called goofie23. As soon as I received a PM from him I terminated his membership but I'm not sure how many other people he managed to spam with this illegal offer. I do know that Shadowritten received one so I'm assuming he didn't just spam us with it !

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Don't forget that there is also a Genereal Chat forum in AvForums :)
    see here

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, since this is a general topic thread, anything is relevant..it can be used if one cant be bothered to find the appropriate thread. ehehe :)

Today, during class, I saw one of my friends start to pack away their headphones, i took a quick look at them, and they, what i thought, looked like canal phones. Me desperately wanting to test out the sony EX71's stopped her in her tracks and asked if they were the Ex71s by any chance, to my luck they actually were. And also to my luck I had my HD5 in my pocket. She let me give them a quick test. At first I couldnt figure out how they went in, apparently they were meant to be comfy and noise cancelling, I tried to put them in with no luck, kept falling out, then i remember that you had to push them in, and far out, i pushed them in and the feeling gave me a big shock, didnt think anything could go in your ear so far! Anyway after i got over it, they feel OK, not as good as people say, they do cancel lots of noise but i could hear everthing happening to the wire, if the wire moved, i knew about it, also dont touch them with something hard, i tapped it with my fingernail and OUCH, thats loud.
    After having two scary moments i then pulled on the wire when trying to plug it in, and it pulled the left phone straight out of my ear......what a wierd feeling.

Ok finally played a song, much to my disappointment, they sounded crap!
    The bass was good but not that clear, The treble and rest of the sound was sooooo bad, its really high pitched and sounds like im using mp3 at 48kbps...I tried turning down the treble and it just didnt do what i wanted, just made the crappy noise quiteter, making the bass sound worse, since it was the only thing i could hear properly.
    I tried moving the phones around in my ears, not that you can much without hurting yourself. I played a different song, and the bass was good, but everything else was aweful. All this not to mension that the wire is covered in soft rubbery stuff that feels like you can peel it off.

Hmm, im much happier with my headphones now, they are so good.

anyone else experience this?

12. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've never tried one of those canal phones myself, but think about all the ear wax you and that girl shared.

Andrew

13. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eww, yeah, I would never let anyone borrow my canal phones. Unless, maybe, I was really interested in that person... hmm...

Björn

14. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont have any of those problem with my ex71's except that when i first got them i kept pulling them out of the extension cable, but i use them with a remote now. and dont you think its kinda gross sharing canal phones?!?

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I can't get on with any in-ear phones at all so always use the px200s.

16. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you still in school sasso? i finished 9 weeks ago! getting GCSE's this time next week though :(

17. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm feeling like I have to rant, and this thread seems to be a good place for that.

Today I had to send in my Sony NW-E99 flash player, as it no longer responded to some of the buttons. The first malfunction I had in a portable audio device since... 1988, I think. (I don't count failing headphones, though. I'm rough and reckless with my phones, and I don't expect them to last for more than a year.)

As a replacement I dug out my trusty old MZ-R900 MD-player. What a beautiful device - while no longer looking exactly like new (it had been my daily jogging companion for years, and it had survived multiple drops on asphalt, mostly protected by its belt case), it was still in a much better shape than the five months old flash player. The chrome metal looking parts still look like chrome metal, because apparently that's what they really are, not painted plastic that turns white with use. The brushed magnesium still looks like brushed magnesium, unlike the dark metal on the flash player, which turned out to only have been painted dark and has now worn bright along the edges. And the MD-player's screen is still scratch-free, unlike the acrylic of the flash-player, which looked nice and stylish when new, but turned into a mess within a few weeks, even when I was still babying it. The MD-player has aged gracefully, and I know the history and events behind every scratch, they are like proud scars from surviving the hardships I put it through. The MP3-player on the other gets scratched by pretty much anything, and I have no idea how most of its countless flaws came to be. It just looks like old junk.

To be fair, in part I blame the flash-player's bad shape on its lack of a remote. The MD-player never left its case during use, it was always well protected. It was the remote that had to face the elements, and it is looking rather battered today, even though it is still working fine. And if I wanted to, then I could replace it with a new one for comparably little money. Ever since my first remote-equipped Walkman in 1992 have I insisted on remotes for my portable audio gear. On MP3-players, however, they are a rarity, especially on the flash players that I favour above the not so jog-proof HD-devices. I do not understand why flash-players hardly ever come with remotes, or at least the ability to use one - I would gladly purchase a remote as an accessory. Instead the manufacturers insist on making the players themselves smaller and smaller. I tried getting used to the tiny and remote-less NW-E99 for months. It has no clip, like most players, which meant I could not attach it anywhere. Sure, there is a neck band, but the dangling was unbearable. A carrying case would have been useless - the player is so small that the control buttons are everywhere, so putting it into something would have made controlling it close to impossible. The only way to use it was to carry it in my pocket, and to pull it out every time I wanted to adjust the volume, skip a track, etc. I don't get how people handle their iPods without a remote; it was such a relief to use the MZ-R900 today, I'm seriously thinking about going back to MD.

Why do current audio devices have to be so small and light (and cheap, for that matter)? I had no problem toting around my first Walkmen around in the eighties, nor did I hear others complaining. And I'm a rather fragile person, not some body-builder. But try selling something that is not a matchbox-sized piece of plastic today, and you'll have people (both consumers and reviewers) start whining about having to carry such a colossal "brick". And all that smallness and lightness and cheapness comes at the cost of durability and usability. But apparently the vast majority of consumers is happy with reduced durability anyway. Why do people accept all that silly painted plastic which starts to wear ugly within days? Why do people accept built-in lithium-ion batteries, which will die within a few years, and which have to be replaced at horrible cost by the manufacturer? Just to save a few millimetres, and to make the device look "sleek" and "smart"? I want my gadgets to work reliably, for a long time; if they also happen to look good, then that's a nice bonus, but for me it's secondary to reliability. And if I'm strong enough to carry a quality device, then everyone is.

Often I hear from people who don't care about a long lifespan, because they'll replace the device anyway with something better when it dies. I hate having to replace gadgets, I prefer repairing them. When I buy something for more than an insignificant amount of money, then I want it to last until I'm dead. Two of my watches are actually older than I am, and they are working fine, both because they are high quality, and because watch manufacturers don't use planned obsolescence; unlike electronics companies they can maintain the products they put out decades ago. And with portable audio devices I'm not sure how necessary future improvements are anyway. I can only listen to music for a maximum of 24 hours a day, using my very own ears. Neither of these limitations is likely to change for the better in the future. Maybe audio quality will be improved, but I'm happy with what the machines can do today, I was actually happy with my first tape Walkman, too. It's not that I have bad hearing; I passed all the levels of this distortion hearing test, something that the majority of the audiophiles on headfi.org didn't when the link was posted there. I just don't care that much about the quality of the sound reproduction; it's the music, its structure/composition, the voices and the lyrics that are important to me, and if I like a song, then I can enjoy it even on my cheap car stereo, where the highs make my ears hurt and where the bass sounds like the speakers are about to break.

The current level of technology would allow for the perfect audio player for me. Playing music and a long battery life with standard rechargeables are possible today, as are a solid metal construction and remote control. 1 Gigabyte is actually enough storage for me - it was not storage space that made me get an MP3-player, it was the hope for better ease of use and faster music transfer than old fashioned real-time recording. But I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to this, so I think I could handle the cost of a 4 to 5 GB flash player. A device like that would be all that I needed for the rest of my life. I would pay a 1000 Euros for it, maybe more, if only anyone made it.

But no, instead of producing something that I would regard as a decent quality DAP, all I see is a constant stream of tiny, cheap toys with in-built lifetime limitations. All "improvements" manufacturers care about are stupid features like battery-consuming colour screens, video playback at uselessly low quality and unnecessary software features, all of which just add more things that can break and fail and which make the on-board operating systems so buggy that these portable audio devices actually can crash. My MD-player never crashes. Just the thought of it is... ridiculous, downright implausible. At this point there is not a single DAP available that I like. I had some hopes for the NW-HD5 (eww, a HD, but at least finally a replaceable battery, and a remote, and a metal case), but we all know how that one turned out.

Phew, ok, that's it. I think I'll head off to Ebay now and get a tape Walkman. Maybe the companies will run out of ideas for useless features in a few years and try some quality instead. I'm patient.

Björn

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Five-star rant!!! Bloody good read!!! :clap:

19. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one!

20. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember these people have been sharing their earphones with their partners - so I don't think they are put off by eachother's ehrm... canals... :)

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Could this become known as canal sex ? :D

22. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehehe:) or something like it!

23. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Yes and why are things so fragile nowadays?

Whats a case? I never needed one for my old tape walkman from my childhood

Just got my AS level results today....one more year of studying to get the full A Levels and experience the critics saying I'm stupid thats all over the news

24. Leprekorn

Leprekorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    What did you get Lfc?

25. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took that distortion test (link to which buried in Grey Area's rant). Not sure I understand the results, though. I screwed up twice at -12dB. Then I carried on identifying which sample was distorted right down to around -30 ... something dB. Then it stopped testing me.

Any of you tech gods care to explain what this means in layman's terms? Are my ears as knackered as I thought? I was using rubbishy headphones, btw, plugged into equally rubbishy PC speakers - so I started with a considerable disadvantage! Oh, I didn't alter any of the default test settings, either - except to choose headphones, naturally.

Be gentle with me. Just want to know what this actually means ...

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    1 'A', 3 B's, 1 'D'

Although the 'D' was in psychology, which I'm dropping anyway

27. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done, what school do you go to, im assuming you live in liverpool from your name? If you dont already know, i live in liverpool and im currently waiting for my GCSE results

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grey Area bemoaning the decline in quality of electronics (and, I'd say, just about everything else these days), is yet more proof of manufacturers ensuring they sell more products in the future, no? Good for business, bad for consumers ...

29. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent rant there, Björn!

There are people who want durable and reliable devices. There are those who hate mobile phones with cameras, colour screens and tiny buttons, but as long as there are enough people willing to keep spending their disposable income on the latest gizmo, no matter how flawed they are, they'll be the ones the manufacturers are trying to make money from.

But consider how far prices have dropped. Remember how much Discmans and MD players and mobile phones used to cost when they were first introduced? How much the iPod used to cost? The technology has been improving, yet things are getting cheaper all the time. Are you still willing to pay the sort of prices that were being commanded for these things a few years ago before they became popular?

That's not a realistic expectation. Different products have different lifespans, and often the lifespan is related to how quickly the technology is moving in that area. Your two watches are not technology devices. Assuming they're tasteful, they won't become obsolete. If they last until you're dead, that's great; you can hand them down to your children. But why would you want an old television to last until you're dead? Or a brick-sized mobile phone? Or a computer from the 1980s? "Planned obsolescence" doesn't just mean the manufacturers make them cheap so you have to keep replacing them. It also means they don't unnecessarily expend cost and effort on making something last longer than it needs to. It costs money to make things last. How much do you think your watches cost? A lot more than the $2 ones you can buy from discount stores, I'm sure. Would you want to pay the cost of making a mobile phone last until you're dead when you're not even going to be using it in a few years time? As technology moves on, technology devices become obsolete all the time. It's true that a lot of them aren't built to last: sometimes it's just because they're shoddy, but it's also because the manufacturers don't really expect you to be using them in a few years because they'll be out-of-date and obsolete by then anyway.

Andrew

30. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but don't forget im in australia. Whats GCSE? If we want, we get a UAI - University Admissions Index, mark out of 100. We finish, I think somewhere around october or November, I never really checked. But we are on the home stretch now.