1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dap dilemna

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by marooned, Aug 10, 2005.

1. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my refurb karma for £120 and now I'm undecided. The karma is absolutely amazing in every way. The UI is years ahead of the nw-hd5 and there are way too many other things to list. Problem is I'm not too keen on the refurb idea and I can still return it. The cheapest place I've seen karmas brand new is about £177 incl. delivery and vat. This is the same price I managed to get the nw-hd5hs for. The other worry is the hd issue. The refurb karma I got did "freeze" when powering it off once and only once. Choices choices. If only the sony had added album, artist as well as track search to the "initials search" thing. Trying to get to a song quickly when you've got 30gb of music on this thing is a pita even with the remote. The Karma makes it easy to get to anything in a matter of seconds. Not sure what to do heh

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it depends how well you know your CDs. Ask me what's at track 5 on Tori Amos' 4th studio album, and I'll know straightaway that it's 'Mr Zebra' - so straight into the HD5H's initials search for me.

(NB: I'm counting 'Y Kant Tori Read' as her first album, not 'Little Earthquakes', in case any other Tori anoraks like me are reading this!)

3. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it's not that I don't know what or where stuff is, it's the length of time it takes. It's kind of sluggish going through track search for me, probably because
    the player is full. Shadow have you ever used a karma? Just curious... Anybody who hasn't really should hehe. There are 3 downsides as far as I can see. It's ugly. It's fat. It's tempermental. Jesus, that could be... nevermind! ;)

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've just listed three of the reasons I WON'T be trying the Karma, regardless of its plus sides! While the HD5 ain't exactly an iPod when it comes to finding stuff fast, it is at least small, relatively light, LOUD and rather prettier than the Karma. Especially in its pink case!

5. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dunno about that pink case of yours, shadow :)

6. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No contest get the Karma !!!!

Road tested them all prior to buying and nothing comes close to the Karma for sound quality and the software.

Looks ok in the dock when playing thro the hi fi and do the looks really offend that much when its in your pocket ???

7. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the nw-hd5 here... I've been playing with them both. I also have an nw-hd3 which is going to be sold. I think I'm going to return the refurb karma and get a new one. The features on the karma are just too good to pass up. Yes it's bigger, bulkier and uglier but all that doesn't bother me and makes up for all the other wonderful features.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) I need to take a decent pic of it. Just doesn't look as :cool: in my thread as it does in real life. Had admiring comments from girls about it, though ... so there are other pluses! :smashin: