DAP Battery Question

WelshBluebird

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 6GB to 20GB player to replace my Creative Muvo V200 512MB which now has too little capacity for me. It has to be able to play WMA files and to be able to drag and drop the music onto it and have a colour screen. Idealy, i want it to be compatible with Linux aswell.
However i'm not sure whether to get one with a removable battery or not? I'm worried about getting one with an internal battery as i've seen reports of them lasting only a year. Is this true? How long does a internal battery usually last? because I dont want to spend 150 quid +, and it only lasting 1 or 2 years.
Any ideas which is better, internal or removable? and any recomendations on any players that would be suitable for me?

Thanks in advance

(ps - I would like the battery to last more than 12 hours)

If you want longer battery life, you might want to rethink the color screen. Do you want to listen to more music, or see pretty colors when you periodically select music to listen to?

I would never go back to an old style screen, you might as well go with color screen they are the future and look so gorgeous, I mean I remember people arguing against color screens in mobiles now who would buy a mobile if it didn't have one?.

I spend a decent amount of time looking at my DAP screen so of course it's essential that it looks nice. Plus album art if a nice touch and photos if your into that.

There won't be many players that fit your needs as you've ruled out Appld (no wma) and Sony (no color).

Not sure about the Linux compatibility but how about the Samsung YH-J70, I have one and love it. Colour screen - check, battery life 20 hours - check, drag and drop - check. :thumbsup:

Cloysterpeteuk said:
I would never go back to an old style screen, you might as well go with color screen they are the future and look so gorgeous, I mean I remember people arguing against color screens in mobiles now who would buy a mobile if it didn't have one?.

This mobile verses DAP colour screen is a non issue. A DAP is not the same as a mobile phone. Phones have colour displays becuase they need more graphical information on them, menu's and such which are less complicated when there is a bigger, high resolution screen.

The fact of the matter is, I spend about 10 minutes a day looking at my HD5 screen, and about 12 hours listening to music. What on EARTH do I need a colour screen for?

Okay, if the new iPod really does do video, then yes, colour screen is essential. But for a standard MP3 player, YOU DO NOT NEED ONE.

menus are not essential to be in colour...photos on DAPs are a total waste of time in my experience. 90% of the time that I look at my HD5 screen, it is the artist names or the track info so I don't care if the time is in colour or the artist name...what the hell is the point of that.

If anyone excludes a DAP just because it does not have a colour screen needs a slap imo :D. Priorities for a DAP should be a combination of:

Sound quality (music!?!?)
Battery life
Storage
Requirements specific Features

Unless you must see your favourite bands name in colour with some crappy album art then just get the best damn player. When they are all in colour it won't matter anymore, but while they aren't I stand by my opinion.

If you want the best looking colour screen get the Toshiba Gigabeat, or the best overall player with a colour screen then get the iPod (imo). Otherwise get the HD5 or the bulky Zen Touch (seen this for £119 recently) and just listen to some music.

If you are stepping up from a smaller capacity player you may want to consider the likes of the Rio Karma (discontinued but nice and cheap and good, minus colour screen), the iRiver H10 (colour screen and already decent), the iPod Nano or other similar players.

Dan, I agree completely. For an AUDIO player, color is a waste. Sound quality and battery life are generally high priorities. If you want a video player, then color is essential. But for a DAP, just to have color menus or look at album covers is silly IMO. My player sits in my pocket 98% of the time while I LISTEN to it. (Actually more, as I generally use a remote with my HD5.) And being an HD5, it almost never needs recharging. :D

Then again, I might be wrong. After all, color is the FUTURE! (Whether or not we need it...)

ok, since there don't seem to be any ticking all the tick boxes im going to shorten it

needs
Drag and Drop support
WMA support
Removable battery

would like - but don't really mind
Linux compatibility
colour screen

D12sale said:
Not sure about the Linux compatibility but how about the Samsung YH-J70, I have one and love it. Colour screen - check, battery life 20 hours - check, drag and drop - check. :thumbsup:

Didn't warrant a reply? Granted no replaceable battery but I regularly get over 20 hours out of my 20Gb colour screen model. price £169.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom