Dangerous Driving

duffbeerdrinker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just stumbled on this game. Apparently it's the successor to Burnout!
Release date is 9th April 2019. Anyone else picking this up?

Looks like a carbon copy of the Need for Speed Rivals game but with the Burnout crashes. I haven't even heard of this before seeing your post, going on the video posted I don't think I will be buying it.

I've been following the development of this since the start. Three Fields Entertainment are a really small team of ex Criterion staff - the core of them worked on the original Burnout games. They have done Dangerous Golf, Lethal VR and the Danger Zone games, prior to this.

This is their largest game so far and they are putting all their available budget into it. It won't be as polished as a AAA, Criterion NFS game, but they need it to do well to fund futher games in the series.

Now there's a blast from the past.

I thought "Burnout 2" on the Gamecube was one of the best driving games EVER! But I'd completely forgotten how manic it can be, especially when you're boosting.

One of my favourite side games was the one whereby you had to deliberately crash and cause the maximum amount of damage/explosions for artistic effect to get the highest scores.:)

Mind you, I was playing this 20-odd years' ago when I was in my 30's and still sharp, my reflexes have plummeted since then so I dread to think how rubbish I'd be now.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!

It does look very like NFS - various ones of those have been favourites but nothing consumed more time than Hot Pursuit.
I'd love to pick it up but if I'm honest with myself I'll never get around to playing it so I'll pass :(

It does look very like NFS - various ones of those have been favourites but nothing consumed more time than Hot Pursuit.

Hey, thanks for the heads up about this!:)

I loved "Burnout" in all its iterations and didn't realise that Criterion were responsible for this. I've got "NFS: Most Wanted" but never played it.:blush:

Just picked up the Limited Edition "Hot Pursuit" for £3 on PS3, that only leaves "NFS: Rivals" I haven't got, which I understand is an amalgamation of "Most Wanted" and "Hot Pursuit".

Seen it for £5 on PS3, do you (or anyone else reading this) think it's worth having or is it a fiver wasted?

Thanks!

I loved "Burnout" in all its iterations and didn't realise that Criterion were responsible for this. I've got "NFS: Most Wanted" but never played it.:blush:

Just picked up the Limited Edition "Hot Pursuit" for £3 on PS3, that only leaves "NFS: Rivals" I haven't got, which I understand is an amalgamation of "Most Wanted" and "Hot Pursuit".

Seen it for £5 on PS3, do you (or anyone else reading this) think it's worth having or is it a fiver wasted?

Thanks!

You're welcome. I have played Rivals and Most Wanted and enjoyed them both.
Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit were brilliant as online games; the team games in HP were brilliant and the dynamic in MW meant you raced for real, then charged to the next start point and raced again. There was no tedious hanging around in lobbies watching players join then leave IIRC.
I enjoyed the single player on both of them too but IIRC MW was a bit easy.
Rivals mixed online and single player - doing sp challenges in open lobbies which was usually just frustrating as you'd be most of the way through a race and some numbskull would appear and take you down.

Looks from Wikipedia like I've missed another 3 games since but as my play time is seriously limited I doubt I'll get to them.
Need for Speed (2015)
Need for Speed: No Limits (2015)
Need for Speed Payback (2017)

I know there have been a few NFS that stank but I've played most of them and not felt short changed - an arcade racer through and through - quite a bit different from Dirt Rally though so perhaps we should get back on topic ? :)

I know there have been a few NFS that stank but I've played most of them and not felt short changed - an arcade racer through and through - quite a bit different from Dirt Rally though so perhaps we should get back on topic ? :)

We are on topic!:)

This Thread is about "Dangerous Driving", which is in effect a Criterion game, which is in effect "Burnout"!

The "NFS" games that Criterion were involved with also resemble "Burnout", so less off topic and more a slight diversion!;)

Thanks!

I didn't like Rivals much. It just felt like a worse version of Hot Pursuit.

NFS Most Wanted was the closest we ever got to a new Burnout Paradise.

Dangerous Driving will be more track based, like the old Burnout Games, rather than open world.

Maybe if it sells well, they'll do something like that in future.

I didn't like Rivals much. It just felt like a worse version of Hot Pursuit.

NFS Most Wanted was the closest we ever got to a new Burnout Paradise.

Dangerous Driving will be more track based, like the old Burnout Games, rather than open world.

Maybe if it sells well, they'll do something like that in future.

Doh! I've just bought "Rivals"!:facepalm:

Oh well, we all like and dislike different things and it wasn't too expensive.

At least it means I've finished off my collection of Criterion console driving games for now. I just love their completely over-the-top style, especially when it comes to crashes and their sound design is usually exemplary.

I will get "Dangerous Driving" in due course once it's dropped in price.:)

Doh! I've just bought "Rivals"!:facepalm:

Oh well, we all like and dislike different things and it wasn't too expensive.

At least it means I've finished off my collection of Criterion console driving games for now. I just love their completely over-the-top style, especially when it comes to crashes and their sound design is usually exemplary.

I will get "Dangerous Driving" in due course once it's dropped in price.:)

Rivals wasn't Criterion. It was the first NFS from Ghost Games (which did have some of the old Criterion team). Criterion just did Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. Rivals isn't a bad game as such, just that Hot Pursuit did everything better.

Rivals wasn't Criterion. It was the first NFS from Ghost Games (which did have some of the old Criterion team). Criterion just did Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. Rivals isn't a bad game as such, just that Hot Pursuit did everything better.

That's interesting as Wikipedia call "Rivals" a "collaboration" between Criterion and Ghost:

Need for Speed Rivals - Wikipedia

Of course, that doesn't indicate just how much input Criterion had into the development of the game, but it does acknowledge their presence to some degree.

Perhaps it's Criterion-lite!:)

The game has been all approved and is ready for release in a few weeks. There should be new screens and video out soon. They are also showing the game at PAX East, at the end of the month.

The game was also featured in Game Informer.

e6efb878-710c-40b8-bd29-affa33856aae.png

eef1f5b9-ee43-441d-bdf4-9979746efcf1.png

Funny, I was recently lamenting the lack of such a game on the PS4! DD looks like a lot of fun and at a little over £20 was a no brainer purchase for me, loved the Burnout games :)

Thanks to the above link, I read reviews and looked up footage on "Danger Zone" and "Danger Zone 2" ("Dangerous Golf" looks terrible).

Anyone played either of the "Danger Zone" games? "DZ" is £11.99 on PSN, "DZ2" is £14.99, but a bundle of both games is £15.49!

Looking at the footage, "DZ2" is more expansive with more variety and "DZ" smaller and more limited, but you never really know how you'll get on with a game until you play it.

Last edited:
Okay, have just bought "Danger Zone 2"!:blush:

Reading around online, there's not a lot of love for "DZ" and it gives me something to play and enjoy until "Dangerous Driving" drops in price.

If anyone does get "DD", please update the Thread with your thoughts.:)

I have Danger Zone 2. It's quite addictive, if you are going for the top level in each stage. I have Dangerous Golf too, and it was good fun. I also have Lethal VR that they did.

I'll likely pick up Dangerous Driving

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom