Danger Read Now About 32pf9986

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jdl, Jun 2, 2004.

1. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before 5 minutes Philips Hellas called me and told me DO NOT OPEN THE TV this is not a joke this model have some malfuction and can catch fire.
    They will come tomorrow to take it back.
    All the owners of this model 32PF9986 CALL NOW YOUR NEAREST PHILIPS I really don't thing that this problem is only for Greece.
    When i have more news i will inform you.
    Nice one Philips. :clap:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sounds a bit funny to me..... just make sure that you are giving it back to the right people and no just a bloke in a white van.... :eek:

ad

3. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I phoned a lot of people at Philips and they confirmed the problem, they coming to take it back.
    I know its funny but know i don't have a TV. :censored:

4. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to order a 32PF9986 today from BE Direct and was told that Philips have recalled them all because of a risk of fire - so will have to wait several weeks I guess for them to be available again

5. ctodd

ctodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because a number of people have reported other problems such as screen interference and dodgy remotes BE-Direct confirmed to me yesterday that they are recalling sets they have sold. Having my set collected soon. I am going to try out the New Panasonic 32".

6. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I have just got of the phone from Philips customer services and the retailer I brought from, unbeatable.

Both knew nothing about ANY faults with the TV.

Philips has not recalled the set.
    Unbeatable have had none returned.

Please post if you know any different.

7. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set is due to arrive on Saturday from Electrical Discount UK and they have just been made aware of this problem entailing a recall of all units still in stock. Not much detail on the problem only that a chip will need to be replaced. As my set is in transit I have been informed that a Philips engineer will be sent out to my house to perform the necessary mod locally. No mention of any fire hazard and Philips customer care know absolutely nothing about this (strange???, pity I can't speak Greek!).

Has anybody else noticed the recent price increase? I ordered my screen on Monday at £2179.99 + £19.99 delivery - not the cheapest but customer service was excellent and they offered a 3 year warranty (two additional years over standard) for just £110. The price today is £2299.99 + delivery and the same warranty has gone to £130?

Have any other owners of this screen (apart from Howbury) heard anything from either Philips direct or their supplier?

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can't believe, a major recall, so soon after the launch.

Not good for their reputation for quality I reckon.

Wasabi

9. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am very concerned even rang philips again spoke to someone else, they said there were no problems.

Now if this set catches fire Philips are liable, so I cant see that customer serivces wouldnt know nothing about this if its true.

10. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well you can always see the bright side of a situation if your set catch fire Philips will make you the richest man in UK. :clap:
    Just kidding.

11. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;) I sit here with crossed fingers every night

12. alasdair

alasdair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just had an unprompted phone call from someone on behalf of Phillips telling me that a Phillips engineer will contact me over the next few days to arrange a time to come out and fix my lcd panel.

In the meantime i was to switch off the ambilight and leave it off as there was a fault with it.

Good news that it appears Phillips want to contact us rather that the other way around !!

Once the engineer contacts me I'll ask about the progressive scan update and about the interference patterns i still occasionally get on EXT2

Interestingly BE Direct (where I got mine) no longer have these Phillips panels on their site......

13. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alasdair, these problems you refer to, have they been present since you got your screen or did they develop later? I've had mine since Saturday and everything works fine - no interference and the remote control works perfectly even with the ambilights on. What is the issue with Progressive Scan?

Cheers.

14. alasdair

alasdair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've had the interference problem since day 1 - however i'm hoping its just one of the cables i use on EXT2 - I'm using a joytech box to allow 4 scarts into the one connection at the back - its the hassle of testing and disconnecting the cables to see which one it may be, if any, that puts me off doing it.

Im guessing the ambilight issue is that its either a fire hazzard or its interfering with the remote; i'm guessing the former as they told me to keep it switched off and to switch the panel off when not in use.

The prog scan issue was in another thread - basically there is a rumour that a firmware update will allow a component connection through the DVI socket and allow prog scan.

Well done in getting a "working" panel !!!

15. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yesterday Philips recalled and all the 42pf9986 panels :hiya:
    Latest info about the 37pf9986 is that this TV will be out around september the sooner.
    Philips realy screwed up this range of LCD's and the sad thing is that those TV's are realy awesome.
    No news about the new firmware.
    Keep it going.
    Portugal vs. Hellas 1-2 :clap:

16. DeekosRSV

DeekosRSV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone care to send me pictures of their TV in 'situ'?
    I'm thinking about getting one and am just surious to see how you lot have them installed.

Better than Plasma?

[email protected]

17. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Guys, I just got off the phone with Robert Whyte. I was told that the 32PF9986 has been recalled. They have no ETA as to when these sets will be available again! I was advised there could be a months wait or more and that I should look at another set! This is a real pain for me as I have been waiting for 2 weeks already only to find this out at the last minute.

I got on the phone to Philips customer care to see if they knew anything but all I got from them was a "we do not know". I gotta say that is a pretty ****ty response. The guy did not even offer to find out more and didn't sound too bothered. Anyway, I'm really stuck as to what to do. I don't know if I should wait it out or take the plunge for the Panny TX32LXD1. The Philips is an amazing set though it has to be said. I saw it at House Of Fraser and it is defintely the best of the LCDs on the market.

Does anyone have any contacts at Philips to get some more info as to when these sets will be available again?

18. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Received phone call from Philips before 10 minutes, they give me my money back because NOBODY knows when those TV's will be available again.
    Waser is right it can take months, seems the problem is bigger that it apears to be and includes the whole range (32/37/42 PF9986).
    I confess that i am in love with this TV and Pixel Plus 2, allthough the lack of components was a major drawback.
    I don't think that i will wait anymore after all i gave a hell lot of money a month ago and I DONT HAVE A TV.
    Anyway if i have any news i'll keep you posted.
    Good luck to all of you guys. :hiya:

19. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    So jdl, what are you going to go for instead? I am seriously thinking of cancelling my order and going for a 30PF9975.

20. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I really don't know, 30PF9975 is a fine set but it can't stand beside the 32PF9986 and it's small TV.
    Imagine even the 32 was kind of small for my place, the ideal is the 37 because 42 is too large.
    But to tell you the truth if the 42 was on the market i will be more than happy to get one.
    Anyway there is no option for plasma i had 2 in the past and i can't say that i was amazed (Samsung 42P3S :suicide: and Pioneer 434HDE :boring: ) i know a lot of people in these forums will not agree with me especially with the 434HD but this is my opinion.
    So right now i am more than confused feels like i am on a dead end. :rolleyes:

21. DeekosRSV

DeekosRSV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. Just phoned Philips customer care.
    They have indeed been recalled and she was under the impression that they should not have been released AT ALL and was supprised when i said people and suppliers had them!! I asked when they would be available and she said a 're-launch' should only be a few weeks away.
    Didn't know when the 37" would be available though. :(

22. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Damn it! What's a "few weeks"? Are we talking within a month or not? That's all I want to know!

I was just about to order a 30pf9975, I honestly don't know what to do now.

23. DeekosRSV

DeekosRSV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the position where i wasn't going to get anything for about 6 months. However, that doesn't stop me looking and making my mind up and wanting one now!! (still don't know which is better, LCD or plasma??) but I REALLY do like/want the ambi-light and Pixel Plus2 (more importantly, so does the wife - lol)
    Thing is, 6 months is a long time in electonics...... :censored:
    A few weeks in 'big manufacturer' terms could be anything really :(

24. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I think I may go for the 30PF9975. I don't think I could take anymore uncertainty. :thumbsdow

25. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    FYI, found this on the Philips support web site. Doing some digging around:

IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION

For this specific model a potential electrical fault may exist. Philips will take action to solve this problem on short notice

Until Philips has checked your TV, you can continue to use it safely if you switch off the Ambilight function. This function can be switched off by pressing the Ambilight on/off button on the remote control.
    Your TV will still work correctly without any problem.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that other persons within your household could switch on the Ambilight function again. Please instruct your household members that the Ambilight function must not be used temporarily.

We ask you to register your name and address details via the "Contact Philips" link on the right-hand menu on this site and to submit these details via e-mail. Please make sure you complete the web form and additionally provide the following information:
    - the serial number of your TV
    - the name and address of the store where your purchased your TV,
    - how we can best contact you and at what time.
    If you wish, you may also contact us by phone.

Philips is sorry for the inconvenience this situation may cause. We will take care to solve the issue to your full satisfaction.

Philips Consumer Care

26. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other companies bringing out new LCD's?

27. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing !!! I phoned Philips again today and they took my details and told me that there is sight fault with ambilight and an engineer would be sent out to me.

1 weeks theres nothing wrong with it, the next its a fire hazzard!

I must say my set works fine, but I would really like to know which settings other owners have found to work best?

28. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem as you dmoggie, can't seem to get the settings right especially on SKY which is absolute s :censored: e! Just replaced my old Grundig box with the latest Amstrad SKY+ offering (recommended on this forum over the Pace). Gotta say though, the screen format options are brilliant and the autoformat is seriously slick - especially when compared with my old CRT. DVD isn't as good as I thought it would be through RGB scart (any other connection options that come with long leads) but the signal through RF is absolutely brilliant (weird) except for the football on ITV which is bobbins.

Looks like we were lucky getting hold of these sets before the recall (as long as the fix works) as a big delay looks likely before they are back on general sale.

29. dmoggie

dmoggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just had sky+ installed my local installer only had pace boxs (fell out with sky)
    Most of the big channels are fine but like you some are c!*p. Its a better picture than my grundig receiver and just as good as the panny reciever I was borrowing.

Im using the ixos flat scarts coz again like you they were the only cables I could find in 3M length. Im very happy with the picture from my DVD player cant decided what settings work best though.

Has anyone connected a DVD player via the dvi socket???

30. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3