Danger of Permanently Ingrained Image?

Bexlee

Standard Member
I have had my beautiful new Toshiba 32ZP38B for a few weeks now. The accompanying leaflet warns that if stationary images (eg teletext, i.d. logos, on screen menus etc) are left on screen 'for any length of time, they could become permanently ingrained'.

It then advises to reduce both the contrast & brightness settings if the TV is to be used in this way. Well, that would mean watching virtually every SKY programme on a darkened screen!

Of most concern is that Mrs Bexlee likes to put audio CDs on our (very cheap- but effective) DVD player. When used in this way, it displays a great big bright blue image. When I am around I do turn the contrast & darkness to '0' as there is no setting on the DVD player to generate a moving image- would more expensive players have this feature?

So, is the danger of finding a permanently ingrained image on a TV a real one?

Bexlee

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Yes.

Bexlee

Standard Member
Thanks nigel

So what is meant by 'any length of time'? I have watched 90 minute football matches on SKY without their logo being permanently ingrained.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
How long is a piece of string?

It depends on numerous factors - relative brightness of each of the three primary colours - brightness and (more important) contrast settings - and what mix of stuff you watch ie what proportion of the total time is spend with whatever static image.

Minimise the effect (prolong the life of your tube) by keeping contrast as low as you can comfortably bear.

It is unlikely to affect you visibly for many months; with sensible use for several years.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom