1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing green pixels on black bars? Viera th37pe30.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GalacticaActual, Sep 4, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Right. I wish I did not have such a keen eye sometimes. I have noticed recently on my new veira pe30 that the colour seems just a tad to green. I thought it was my imagination but today when up close to the tv I noticed what can only be described as lots of fast moving green pixels dancing around on the black bars you get at the top of some movies. This is in all inputs ,dvd via component pal ntsc . sky rgb. Even on my vcr. They disapear slightly when the brightness is lowered below the level it should be using the dve disc but then the picture looks to dark :confused: . Any one else have this problem? is my plasma faulty? Is there some thing I can do to fix it myself?
    I must admit that from a normal viewing distance you cant really see them but now every thing I look at seems even more green all the time :rolleyes: :suicide: . I really dont want to get engineers out I can help it. What really bugs me now though is that I was pleased with it the other day and now I have found something that bugs me! :mad:
    Please any one out there with a viera, tell me I am not the only one on the planet with this problem . Surely I am not that unlucky!!!!!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The green dots are on all plasma's at just above black and a little higher. They are an artefact caused by dithering, the method used to make plasma's go darker.

The fact you can set the black level to remove them on real picture content...but that this makes black level appear wrong on DVE means possibly several things. Your plasma may change the level it shows black at dependant on the average brightness of the image (most likely). Or perhaps your DVD player changes the level it sticks black out of dependant on other factors (less likely in your case).

If you feel that the mage has an overall green cast that may be due to the greyscale being incorrect. Calibration, if possible, should help this.

I am sure it will be impossible to remove all the green dots...although it may be possible to make them go away in total black bars.....

Gordon

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't noticed the green dots, but I agree I think the picture can take on a green cast at times. This seems to be more apparent on certain channels.
    However before this turns into another Viera slagging, I have noticed this on all Panasonic plasmas, and have mentioned before in this forum.
    If there are bright colours there is no problem, but I find the flesh tones can look dark and greenish at times.
    I'm thinking of having mine calibrated.

4. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Greenish fleshtones? I've heard that this was a hitachi only problem.

5. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an Hitachi and do not get green flesh tones or green dots.

6. PLASMATU

PLASMATU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great Gordon thanks was looking for exactly for that info thanks again.

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks for the input guys.
    ON further testing last night I descovered the following. Pressing the progressive scan button on my dvd player made the green dots worse on n.t.s.c material. On well encoded pal dvds(starwars, lord of the rings, they are not present)

8. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I looked close on mine today aswell, and you are right there are green dots on dark areas, but if you step back 2 feet you can't see them. I think as Gorden says, this is a feature of the Panasonic panels with the high contrast ratios.

9. whirlpool

whirlpool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are connections are via RGB SCART, it's worth noting that there may be an interaction from the S-Video signal which can cause a green tinge from some equipment. Consider using unidirectional SCART cables or checking the pinouts and snipping the pins from the unwanted signals.

I have a Humax Digital Terrestrial recorder connected to my TH37PE30 which outputs a slight green tinge when playing back via a fully wired SCART cable. Disabling the S-Video pinouts on the SCART cable fixed the problem.

Has anyone seen the Viera's own Digital Terrestrial picture exhibit the problem ? Mine seems fine on Digital terrestrial, after setting up using the DVE disc.

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The green tinge , wich is only very slight and really not that much of a problem is present on all inputs, even via component. The wild green pixels that are noticeble on any thing black are also there. I am woundering if it is because of the dancing green pixels that the screen seems a bit green?

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I doubt it's the green pixels dancing that makes the whole image seem green. They are two different issues. All plasma's I've seen have dithering pixels dependant on the make is how dark it is for you to see them and how easy. For instance Pioneers don;t go as dark but they dither as well. As the image isn't as dark it's harder to see them. It's also harder on higher res screens.

Gordon

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    ON further testing there does seem to be an awfull lot of green pixels standing out on anything dark!. Surely this must contribute to giving the screen an overall green cast to the image? Whatched the new battlestar gallaticca on skymovies last night. On any dark images there seemed to be more green pixels(almost like a snowy green picture up close) Than anything else. If you lower the brightness below half way they disapear. The picture is just two dark then :confused: . Also on ntsc discs when progressive scan is used on the dvd player it makes it a lot worse. Why is this?
    Any input would be apreciated.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

14. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    its taking me a while to get used to the viera's picure,allthough stunning at times,i do get this effect of shimmering colours,one way to describe this is like the effect you get when putting 3d glasses on,of course the colours on the tv are still bright and normal not just red and green.i am going mad or will it just take getting used to?

15. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mrfurious, I must say I have never experianced the shimmering colours that you are describing, I would say something is not quite right.
    Do the colours shimmer which viewing via the inbuilt tuners?

16. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    its a strange one,when the pic is white,say the lines ona fottie pitch or boards around the grouns,the white just doent look right,it seems to shine a bit??maybe its just my eyes need time after watching a 100htz tv for so many years.i have it set on dynamic with about 70% contrast and 40%brightness,this seems to be best for me at the moment.i thnk i might need a new scart to svhs that i use for my sky,i am using a teck link one are they any good

17. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you have just diagnosed your problem. Dynamic mode is not a good setting for normal viewing.
    It's easy to switch to it and think wow that's a good vivid picture, but it's to over the top with the gamma settings.
    I know you will initially think the picture looks dull, but try either the normal or cinema settings. It is a much more natural picture and once you get used to it, you will begin to appricate the more natural tones.
    Just try it for a few days, you can always switch it back if your not convinced.

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Using the digital viseo essentials dvd I have managed to calibrate my viera so that the green has now gone :thumbsup: . I have found that to do tis you need to be in normal mode . I have the contrast at about 3/4 of the way up Maybe a little below. the brigness was adjusted useing the patterns on the dvd. It is actually one click below the right setting(arcording to the pattern) the picture does look a little dark at first but you do get used to it. Put a dvd on and turn the lights down low and :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: .
    Dave.

19. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    i will have to try something because its doing my head in,everytime i move my eyes i see the shimmering,it must be dynamic mode?

20. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Ive got no problem with the green dots or green tinge on any signal except my pc connection, VGA to VGA. The 'green dots' dance at the bottom as mentioned before in this thread. I've also got an overwhelming red signal, making my screen look like its got sunburn! I'm hoping its just a poor quality cable.

Gonna try http://www.bettercables.com/vgacables.html or similar to see if this sorts the image.

Anyone else had this problem or managed to rectify the problem?

Ref: Installations that use VGA cables (RGBHV) require special parameters in the cable design. Chief among them is 'timing'. Since the signal is split into red, green and blue primary colors, and then reassembled, the signals must arrive at the same time at the destination. Do not mistake these very high-performance, well-shielded vga cables for other cheap, image-damaging cables readily available.

21. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thought I would join in.....

I have my PC connected to my PW7 via VGA and the red colour was way too strong, I got help from this forum to go into the service menu and turn it down - much better.

I also have used the DVE disc (well complicated) and my settings are quite dark, which is fine for nighttime viewing, but makes it difficult to watch in the day.

I notice a slight green tinge to the edge of moving objects in some freeview broadcasts, particularly Eastenders, My Pace Twin is connected via Scart, I do not notice it on any movies I watch through the PC.

Interested in this removing pins from scart lead theory, can you give some more info, I have a cheap scart lead I could try it on first, before ruining my expensive one!

thanks
    lisa
    :)

22. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not sure whether this works or not, but I have heard that the Gamma setting on some Panny plasmas can help remove the green dots when combined with the brightness. On the 6/7 series this setting can be found under the advanced pictures settings labelled as "Gamma". A setting of 2.2 comes to mind, but not 100% sure.

Maybe Gordon or one the other regulars can confirm or deny this! :D

JJ

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can of course adjust the Dynamic mode settings for day time viewing and just swap between them............. pro calibration can sort most if not all of these issues but the veira is a pain to get spot on and has that stupid normalise button on the remote so when you get a good picture note the settings.............the difficult thing is setting things like the internal tuner.............if only they would still broadcast test patterns when channels are off air......

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Goodness me this thread is still around :D

The problems I described on this thread have now been sorted. I have had the Viera pro calibrated by gordon from convergent. I use cinema mode for all viewing, and once the calibration was done the actuall plasma settings in the user menu were set again using DVE. This is probably the best the set is going to look.
    One of the major draw backs on the Viera is it seems to use the PD30 crt panasonic models acuity chasis. This can cause reall problems on poor quality transmissions for sky, but can make dvds look :smashin:

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes the veira uses 2 chassis and getting them to talk to each other is quite hard.....but more proof that Calibration works and is worth the money....

26. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Horny, what exactly is the difference between the two chaissis and do you know if there is a way to actually turn of the acuity proccessing for RGB sky inputs? I would imagine that that might actually clean up the sky picture if the acuity was not trying to keep up with the poor broadcasts :eek:

27. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    i have the dancing dots now,a few weeks back it annoyed me so much that i considered getting rid of the viera,worst example is on the dvd screen logo when i load a dvd up,the dots are dancing everywhere!!!

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Chassis number 1 from PD30 takes your normal video inputs (Scart component etc) and processes them all to a specific signal (RGBHV i think but not sure, the native signal for CRT tubes may be YPbPr) then the output of chassis 1 and the VGA front panel input are fed into Chassis number 2 and processed to the palasma native display in the case of the 42" 852x480 pixel array (red green blue sub pixels) at native refresh for panel hence why matching the VGA and other screen inputs is nigh on impossible!!
    This is my take on it.

29. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

What input are you watching the Viera on , Cinema, Normal ect, are you using component, rgb?
    Have you calibrated screen with DVE or Avai.
    Setting the brightness and contrast correctly should get rid of it so that from a normal viweing distance, it is not noticable anymore.

30. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    i have it set on normal mode and have only set it up to my eye,i dont have a calibrationdisc unfortunatly,its not that noticeable when i sit about 9ft away from the screen,its a 37".....and i cant find any gamma function thsat was mentioned ealier on in this thread.