Dances with Wolves - new German special edition

RickDastardly

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been tempted to get the German blu-ray from amazon.de for sometime now, as I really want the extended edition (which I like very much! :thumbsup:).

I noticed that there is a special aniversary? edition coming out in Germany which looks very nice:

Der mit dem Wolf tanzt - Jubiläums Edition [Blu-ray]: Amazon.de: Kevin Costner, Graham Greene, Charles Rocket, Tantoo Cardinal, Robert Pastorelli, Floyd Westerman, Rodney A. Grant, Mary McDonnell: DVD & Blu-ray

Can anyone tell me if a similar version will be released in the UK that features the extended cut? If not, I am tempted to purchase the above German release (which I believe is out next month).

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Go for the German one, I have. Can't see another version being released over here for a while, We wouldn't get the nice digibook either just a normal case probably.

Whats "special" about it? I have got the regular german version.

It's the 4 hour director's cut with all the extra supplementals from the DVD edition (the regular german doesn't have all the supplementals).

That's the "special" part.

Cheers

It's the 4 hour director's cut with all the extra supplementals from the DVD edition (the regular german doesn't have all the supplementals).

Cheers

Thanks. Is that confirmed? :confused:

Cheers

So it's special because they've included stuff they should have included in the first place :rotfl:

Got my copy today in a very nice padded case with 22 page book (in German) built in and individually numbered.

2 x BD Discs both with movie trailers at the start :(

Disc 1 Jubiläums Edition DTS HD-MSTR 7.1 3:56.39 Long
Disc 2 Directors Cut DTS HD-MSTR 5.1 3:01:04 Long

Disc 1 has strange startup warning message which you have to click on to Ignore (all in German).

EDIT: I think it says to check your Firmware is up to date.

Movies default to German sound so remember to select Englische Fassung DTS-HD

And yes one is 5.1 and the other 7.1

HummerUK

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be aware of a audio glitch I encountered on the Kinowelt release!

I received my set yesterday and found disc 1 (the long version) to have a faulty Enlglish audio track. The LFE channel seems to be inactive throughout the whole movie! I switched between the German and the English audio track on several scenes, and when the LFE symbol lights up on my receiver on the German track, it does not on the English track (actually I think it NEVER lights up on the English track). So the English audio track on the long version actually is a kind of 7.0 instead of 7.1 :thumbsdow. Maybe others can confirm this.

I also found some comments over at avs stating exactly the same problem with the older single disc release. So I assume, that disc #1 is a clone of the old release.

The English audio track on disc 2 (the short version) seems to be fine. Here the LFE lights up on the scenes I checked.

I sent an according E-Mail to Kinowelt (please note that I am German) yesterday evening where I described the problem, asked for verification and a possible replacement. If I don't get a satisfying answer I will (have to) return the set, which really would be a shame.

Last edited:
Please be aware of a audio glitch I encountered on the Kinowelt release!

I received my set yesterday and found disc 1 (the long version) to have a faulty Enlglish audio track. The LFE channel seems to be inactive throughout the whole movie! I switched between the German and the English audio track on several scenes, and when the LFE symbol lights up on my receiver on the German track, it does not on the English track (actually I think it NEVER lights up on the English track). So the English audio track on the long version actually is a kind of 7.0 instead of 7.1 :thumbsdow. Maybe others can confirm this.

I also found some comments over at avs stating exactly the same problem with the older single disc release. So I assume, that disc #1 is a clone of the old release.

The English audio track on disc 2 (the short version) seems to be fine. Here the LFE lights up on the scenes I checked.

I send an according E-Mail to Kinowelt (please note that I am German) yesterday evening where I described the problem, asked for verification and a possible replacement. If I don't get a satisfying answer I will (have to) return the set, which really would be a shame.

I am expecting my copy through the door soon. I hope it's ok :(.

Let us know if you get any reply from Kinowelt.

If anyone else experiences a problem, it would be grest if you could post it here so we can determine if this really is a widespread issue.

Cheers

Hi i have the 1 disc set, the lfe on both the Ger & Eng DTS master is the same on my disc.

I can hardly believe this. Did you actually check the LFE channel, and the LFE channel only? Sometimes people mix up bass coming from their sub with actual LFE content, due to their front speakers set to small. It's not that there is no bass on the English track at all, but there simply is no LFE channel content. Also, did you check for the lossless track or the dts core ? (I didn't check for the core).

I can only say what I encounter on my disc, and here the LFE content is completely missing/inactive on the English DTS-HD MA track of disc 1. And there are at least two members over @avs who state the same for the old disc:
Dances with Wolves!?! - Page 2 - AVS Forum

So I am pretty sure, that the old disc is identical with disc 1 of the new set, and therefore is lacking the LFE content too. It's not that I don't believe you, but it seems quite unlikely to me, that your disc has an active LFE channel. But I might be wrong of course since I don't own the old release.

Let us know if you get any reply from Kinowelt.
I will if I don't forget it (I am mostly only reading foreign forums like this one).

If anyone else experiences a problem, it would be grest if you could post it here so we can determine if this really is a widespread issue.

I'd welcome more comments on the issue too, since I cannot completely exclude an issue with my setup or my disc of course.

Last edited:
Received mine this morning. It's certainly a great looking package!

Put it in for a quick spin, and I thought it sounded fantastic. I don't have a 7.1 set up though.

Can't wait to settle in to watch it as it's one of my all time favourites, and well worth breaking my £10 max rule for blu-rays.

How's the transfer look RD, I hear it's a stunner :)

How's the transfer look RD, I hear it's a stunner :)

Looked good from what I saw. I didn't skip to any of the prairie scenes, but I am sure they will look great. The source certainly still has a few flecks of dirt here and there, but it doesn't detract from what is a good looking picture.

I was getting emotional in the first 5 minutes after putting in on...I forgot how much I love the score too!

I can hardly believe this. Did you actually check the LFE channel, and the LFE channel only? Sometimes people mix up bass coming from their sub with actual LFE content, due to their front speakers set to small. It's not that there is no bass on the English track at all, but there simply is no LFE channel content. Also, did you check for the lossless track or the dts core ? (I didn't check for the core).

I can only say what I encounter on my disc, and here the LFE content is completely missing/inactive on the English DTS-HD MA track of disc 1. And there are at least two members over @avs who state the same for the old disc:

So I am pretty sure, that the old disc is identical with disc 1 of the new set, and therefore is lacking the LFE content too. It's not that I don't believe you, but it seems quite unlikely to me, that your disc has an active LFE channel. But I might be wrong of course since I don't own the old release.

Hi all my speaker are set to large,and the lfe is showing up on my amp,as i said i tried the DTS master, Ger & Eng,will tried again tonight to confirm :)

Ps i did read a review of this disc before buying,also no mention of the lfe being missing ?

Last edited:
Hi all my speaker are set to large,and the lfe is showing up on my amp,as i said i tried the DTS master, Ger & Eng,will tried again tonight to confirm :)

Ps i did read a review of this disc before buying,also no mention of the lfe being missing ?
Thanks for the clarification.

I just did some more testing. I also compared with my old DVD. Result: After all, I cannot hear any real differences in the overall bass performance between the German dts track of my old DVD, the German track of the blu-ray and the English track of the blu-ray.

It's a fact, that the LFE is inactive on the English track of the blu-ray. But I got a comment today from another owner of the disc in another forum, that, while the LFE symbol lights up on the German track, it basically seems to be silent too. Since I am letting my front speakers do the LFE job, I don't notice if the sub is running or not. I only notice missing bass and/or the LFE symbol not showing up on my receiver.

So what I think is the following: Both, the English and the German track of the blu-ray basically seem to be 7.0 tracks, with the bass completely lying on the front channels, but the result (at least for me) is practically the same. But I think they should've called the audio tracks 7.0 instead of 7.1 then...

This are my observations/conclusions after rehearing my DVD and the blu-ray today.

Anyway, I'm still curious about the response from Kinowelt.

Disc 1 Jubiläums Edition DTS HD-MSTR 7.1 3:56.39 Long
Disc 2 Directors Cut DTS HD-MSTR 5.1 3:01:04 Long

Can anyone confirm the running time of the second disc? 181 minutes isn't the director's cut: it's the theatrical cut. (224 minutes is the extended cut; 236 minutes is the director's cut).

I had previously heard that the second disc was the extended cut, and was considering double dipping, as it's my favourite of the three. If it's the theatrical version I shan't bother.

Apparently the French blu-ray was the extended cut, but I heard the picture quality was poor. Can anyone confirm this?

Can anyone confirm the running time of the second disc? 181 minutes isn't the director's cut: it's the theatrical cut. (224 minutes is the extended cut; 236 minutes is the director's cut).

Runnning times are as stated by HummerUK. There's always some confusion in regard to our 'German Dances With Wolves' releases, because the short version (the one you'd call the theatrical cut) is called the director's cut in Germany. So disc 1 is the Extended Cut (what you'd call the director's cut) and disc 2 is the short version (what you'd call the theatrical cut). I hope, I could clear it up :).

There's always some confusion in regard to our 'German Dances With Wolves' releases, because the short version (the one you'd call the theatrical cut) is called the director's cut in Germany. So disc 1 is the Extended Cut (what you'd call the director's cut) and disc 2 is the short version (what you'd call the theatrical cut). I hope, I could clear it up :).

You certainly did clear it up. Thank you! :) It looks like I won't be buying this release. It's a shame about the French blu-ray...

Apologies to HummerUK! I'm so used to people muddling up the different versions of this film that I did not realize he was translating the German names for these cuts literally. The joys of international communciation... :D

It looks like I won't be buying this release.

Why not? Disc 1 contains the version you want. I watched the disc two days ago, and I was satisfied with was I heared and saw (I was listening to the English audio track).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom