Dances With Wolves...Help

dts borg

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help here guys. Which is the best release of Dances With Wolves R1 Extended or R2 DTS ? Any other Region that I have missed will do.

Thanks for your help:smashin:

The extended region 1 edition has very good picture and sound quality but Dolby 5.1 only, the Japanese or Korean region 2 versions with DTS are the best ones buttttttt you would have to watch the entire film with the subtitles on as there are no english subs generated for just the indian speaking parts.

When looking at the two versions is it also not true that the Region 1 release is in fact much longer, does this not add to the film and do you know how this compares to the original extended laser disc or VHS release, I would like to purchase this and do not consider the DTS versus DD to be the main hang up.

Hi,

I have seen both the standard 3-hour and longer Director's Cut of "DOW", and I personally think the longer version to be better. There is more storyline integrated back into the film, and it seems a little less disjointed than the 3-hour cut.

Your best bet, though, is to try and got hold of the Spanish "DOW" boxed set, which contained both edits of the film, plus an extra disc of behind-the-scenes stuff, plus the CD score.

I don't know if an R2 or R1 boxed set of both versions of the film, are due out in the near future, but I soooo want the Director's Cut on DVD, with or without DTS sound.

Pooch

The directors cut is the extended edition and its out on both region 1 and 2, no version is longer, both the region 1, 2 and 3 versions are identical although region 2 Japan and region 3 Korea contain both versions of the film (( 3 and 4 hour versions ))
why is there confusion over this ?

Also the korean version contains both versions of the film and is available from this site but once again there is the subtitles problem, although english subtitles are available if you want to watch the entire film then you really need to leave the subtitles on from the start.

Although the site lists the running time as 236 minutes i can assure you it contains both edits of the film and the 3 hour version is available as part of the 4 disc package with this film.

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11749

Heres a dvd compare for every region.
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=668

Does anyone know if the DTS reg. 2 PAL version is pitch corrected ?

I have the movie on NTSC laserdisc and have seen it numerous times, so in this case I'm certain that PAL speedup of the sound would bother me.

Does anyone know if the DTS reg. 2 PAL version is pitch corrected ?

I have the movie on NTSC laserdisc and have seen it numerous times, so in this case I'm certain that PAL speedup of the sound would bother me.

The region 2 edition is an old print and vastly inferior to the new prints which were struck, as for Pitch Correction, i really don't think it does a good job as it also introduces unwanted side effects but i suppose if the price is cheap enough you might want to test the water and buy it.

Oops, sorry about the double post last night; dunno how that happened.

Thanks for the reply FoxyMulder. Sounds like the best option would be to get the extended region 1 release, as I don't really want to watch the movie with subtitles on all dialogue.

You mention the region 1 release having very good sound quality, despite only having Dolby Digital. Are the DTS tracks on the region 2 releases any better, in your opinion ?

I can honestly say i do not know, the Dolby 5.1 track on the new extended edition print is very good but from what i hear the DTS track adds some subtle pieces to the mix and is an impovement, at least on the Japanese and Korean Extended editions.

I've ordered the Korean set from MovieTyme as the package was too good to resist.

If it's advisable to leave the subtitles on for the duration, does it distract from the film at all ?

Also, going back to MovieTyme for a sec, the site claims that the region for this set is ALL - should it not be R3 ? Maybe just a typo.

Cheers

I recently bought the Korean version of this film as the packaging is sooo nice, and I do not see why the subtitles have to be left on all through the film. I just wait untill the indian parts, press the subtitles button and then press again to revert to no subtitles. I am not sure if all dvd players have this facility, I have a Denon.
I would hate for anyone to miss out on this version of the film unneccessarily.

Originally posted by PearlJam
I've ordered the Korean set from MovieTyme as the package was too good to resist.

If it's advisable to leave the subtitles on for the duration, does it distract from the film at all ?

Also, going back to MovieTyme for a sec, the site claims that the region for this set is ALL - should it not be R3 ? Maybe just a typo.

Cheers

I've ordered this from movietyme as well although I've still to recieve it. A quick PM to Craig@Movietyme though and I found out that movietyme.com may not be able to get any more back in stock. It's kinda 50/50 at the min as one of movietyme's suppliers has said they can't get it but another one said they can. So my fingers are crossed that movietyme can get a copy to me.

I'm sure movietyme won't let me down:clap: The again my luck this year has not been so good:laugh:

About the ALL and not r3, well I have looked at a load of sites and it seems this set is infact R0 = ALL

:thumbsup: I've got the Korean version and it is all region (it played on my Mothers R2 machine).
If you are waiting for this set you're in for a treat, starting when you open the package and smell the leather pouch mmmmm.....
The story benefits from being an extended cut and the dts is a treat. As for the subtitles issue... it's easy just to switch them on and off as and when you need them.
At the end of the day you can't go wrong with the Korean version and it's a great price (especially when you compare with the Japanese version) :thumbsup:

:smashin: Should have posted back that I now have the Korean version.

What a great film ;) and a Super DVD (A must have) :clap:

Thanks for the help..........dts ;)

hi all what does the dow work out in £sterling with delivery etc as dow has always been a favorite film of mine was not aware there was a vertion that could be played on my r2 only player.

thank you

When I ordered mine it was £17.43 inc shipping and under the customs value :laugh: sssh I would have paid £30 for it :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom