Dance music 5.1 speaker £750 budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jeerablade, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jeerablade

jeerablade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking for a 5.1 speaker system that will handle dance and hip-hop, i have no preference be it floorstanders or wallmounters. I am looking at a budget of £750 although could squeeze to £1000 if necessary. I was looking st B&W 683 for fronts and 684 for rears but that is likely to blow my budget, does anyone have any other suggestions?:lease:

2. Ash_May

Ash_May

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does it have to be 5.1? If movies come before music fair enough, but if you are playing music (dance music) predominantly, a 2.1 system will afford better quality speakers.

3. jeerablade

jeerablade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at both. I have a Pioneer PDP 4280XD. Looking at an amp surround sound amp with both 5.1 for a budget of £500. Ideally i could use the seperate Power/Pre to play music when i play just music, but i would want to be able to simply unplug the banana plugs from the dedicated hi-fi, plug it into the back of the surround sound av and use it that way. I just don't want 2 sets of front speakers if you understand what i mean. I am not worried about the fact that this will be tedious.

4. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
  5. jeerablade

jeerablade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission look very tasty. Never thought of them. Will audition, thanks.

6. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Monitor Audio BR2 AV or BR5-AV package are worth looking at.

7. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i listen to all kinds of music but i do listen to alot of drum and bass (older 'jungle' mainly) and have found my acoustic energy neo 3's do the bussiness. they are known for there 'gung ho' presentation and certainly deliver with the basslines, even with the bass set to 0!!! if you can get an audition i would take it, the neo 3's are on fleabay for £201 delivered and the whole 5.1 av package is £532, all brand new form ae's ebay shop.

i have the neo 3 fronts and the neo sub, the sub is very impresive and delivers a tight fast and punchy bass that extends down to 25hz and is also powered by a 200w amplifier.

as iv said before on numerous threads, i dont think there is better value for money system out there for the same price. plenty of ang for your buck ;)

andy

8. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also suggest looking at a Monolith sub as it works great for me, for a similar app :)

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    In all honesty I think you would be better off forgetting about Surround Sound, and concentrating on a 2.1 or 2.2 stereo system. Trust me your movies will sound fine in stereo.

Next, I must ask which is more important, sitting around the house with a few friends listening to music, or throwing big-arse parties and DJ-ing.

If you are only going to 'DJ' on a small just-for-fun scale, then a nice set of stereo speaker and one or two subs will do the job. But if you are more serious about spinning stack of hot wax for big parties, then I think you are better off buying some PA speakers and one or two subs to go with it.

The PA speakers won't give you the absolute best in high fidelity but they will be very very close, and they will take substantial abuse.

Several speaker makers make speaker specifically for small time Dj's, Wharfedale Xarus and Zaldek.

Wharfedale and many other speaker makers also make first rate PA speakers.

Just to give you a general idea, check out this link -

PA Equipment : Pa Speakers @ Millennium Music

A solid stereo amp, a good pair of 12" or 15" full-range PA speakers, and one or more subs and you are ready to party.

Again, other than the style of music you like, it is not clear what you intend to do with this system.

But, whether for home use or party use, I think you are much better off with a solid stereo amp, and one or two pair of stereo speakers, and one or two subs.

While you may think your budget of £750 is pretty big, for a solid system like this, it is actually pretty lean. Essentially, it leaves you £200 for each front speaker (£400 total), and another £350 for a single sub, for a grand total of £750.

Again if you are serious about the 'Drum and Bass' style music, you might even want to consider Cerwin Vega speakers. You can see and hear several examples of this particular speaker on YouTube -

DJ Equipment, Decks, Mixers, Headphones, Buy DJ Equipment - decks.co.uk

Cerwin Vega Homepage - Decks.co.uk

Cerwin Vega Speakers, DJ Speakers - DJ Equipment from Djkit.co.uk

More details -

Cerwin-Vega - The LOUD Speaker Company

Cerwin-Vega CLS-215

As you can see, these are not 'pixie' speakers.

A quick look at the links will show you that the CLS model is available with a single 12" woofer, a single 15" woofer, or two 15" woofers. In all cases, even the single 12" woofer, you have low end response down near 30hz. The 15" go down closer to 25hz.

Though in your budget range, it would be a stretch to get the CLS-10 with a 10" woofer and response down to 38hz (still very good) (£250 each) plus a 12" subwoofer (28hz; £370 each).

Still if you dumped the whole load into a pair of CLS-215, you wouldn't need a sub. CLS-215 have two 15" woofers, low response down to 24hz, 500 watts power handling, 97db sensitivity (loud). Even the single woofer CLS-115 has response down to 26hz. The single woofer version is under £400 each, and the twin woofer version is just under £500 each.

Again, a reminder that there are YouTube videos available for the CLS-215.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. jeerablade

jeerablade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not looking atDJ'ing, this is just that I have heard criticism on so many occasions that the 5.1 was excellent etc for movie and then it seems they loose their voice when i ask about music. All of you have given exceelent suggestions and I am looking right into them as we speak. Thanks Again guys.:thumbsup:

11. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    If you are set on a 5.1 system, then you want to concentrate on your front three speakers (left, right, center) as they carry the bulk of the load. In the rear you can have small bookshelf speakers and they will get the job done.

So, as an example, the Cerwin Vega CLS-10 for left and right, a C-W CLS-6C center would come in well within your budget. Then just use whatever you currently have laying around for the rear.

I've seen CLS-10 for as low as £156 each, and the CLS-6C for as low as £98 each. CLS-12 for as low as £180 each.

That would give you the solid front you need for heavy music, but still provide fidelity and weight for movies.

I'm not necessarily pushing the Cervin Vega, but for 'Drum and Bass' style music, they rock the house.

If you check out the YouTube videos, keep in mind that in every case they are pushing the speakers to the limit, which means they are massively overdriving the MICROPHONE in the video camera. So, while you can get a sense of the size and nature of the speakers, it is not a fair test of their fidelity.

Now, if you are restricting you listening to one location. That is, for the most part, you are not going to be moving these speakers around. You would do well with B&W tower, though they are not going to be cheap, Also, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6, and various Monitor Audio speakers. Any of these quality tower speakers is going to push you budget above and beyond the limits by the time you add a center speaker.

In bookshelf speakers, the bigger the better for your style of music. Take a look at the Acoustic Energy MTM-style Aelite 2 -

ACOUSTIC ENERGY AELITE 2 SPEAKERS (PAIR) (BLACK) - available from Superfi UK

and the matching center channel -

ACOUSTIC ENERGY AELITE CENTRE SPEAKER - available from Superfi UK

That puts you well under budget. The specs on the Aelite 2 are pretty impressive, though I confess I haven't heard them. But this is Acoustic Energy's top line of speaker.

But again, concentrate on the front three speakers if you want top notch music playback. And when you are playing music, be sure to switch the AV amp to 'direct' or 'pure' music mode.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  12. pijjin

pijjin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably find this is more like their top line of speaker....

reference series : acoustic energy

tho absolutely no idea what any of them are like, (was just looking at their neo's....) if they sound like their cost then immense...and way beyond everyones budget...... so why am i even waffling..... ahhhh, i know, it's late and my brain has been numbed by just being subjected to enrique iglesias on tv in background.....truly awful experience...

pijjin