1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance Mat, games & systems advice needed!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by new, Jun 19, 2003.

1. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the kids would love these so Im going to get them it for Xmas.

I have a GameCube (that was free thanks to Argos & necter points ) & I think its th DB's, BUT they dont do dancemats for it .

So I was thinking about getting a PS1 2 dance mats, the 2 Disney dance games, & another for the wife & me

Can anybody recomend which games & dance mats to go for & the best place to buy them?

I was at one time thinking about getting a PS2 & using this as 2nd dvd player as well as hooking the dance mats up to, but I have heard that it is crap as a dvd player so I have gone off this idea. Am I right here?

Does the Xbox do anty dance mats/games (they will need to be sutible for 5 year olds like PS disney's ones) & what is the Xbox like as a dvd player?

Thanks for looking & for any advice left.

Report this po

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    just get a playstation (PSone) and a couple of dance mats from any high street shop (all pretty much the same) and then get Dancing Stage Euromix and Dancing Stage Party Edition and Disney Mix.
    If you want the Jungle Book dancing game then it is only on PS2

There are no dancing games for Xbox here yet..

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As has already been said, the PlayStation/PSOne versions will meet your needs. There's plenty of mats and titles out there, with an 'official' Konami 'game and mat' package supposedly scheduled for September/October (with a projected price of about £25).

Around the same time, Konami have scheduled the release of Dancing Stage Fever for PS2 - which contains licensed songs from the 1960s through to the 80s. If I have read correctly, a version of this title is being developed for Xbox too and currently includes on-line play via 'Live'. The Xbox release is supposedly around the same time as the PS2 version.

Incidentally, I garnered all of the above information from www.computerandvideogames.com

Re: DVD playback, in my experience, the PS2 was okay with the Xbox (for me) being more compatible and more detailed in terms of the visuals - to be expected, considering that the UK PS2 is 'crippled' to have only s-video and composite output for DVD playback (RGB is available for gameplay). Your mileage may vary, however. In my case, on a decade-old Toshiba television, an RGB connection is less than ideal - giving a detailed, but relatively dark image when compared to that provided through the s-video or composite methods of connection. Just so you know! :D I do find my since-purchased Pioneer all-in-one :smashin: to be a little better and so far, totally compatible; but some of that is undoubtedly down to the s-video connection now used.

Finally, to put the compatibility issue into perspective, the PS2 had appeared to have issues with Disney titles (which, notably, don't carry the 'DVD' label), the 1999 TV-movie, Merlin and some cover-mounted DVDs from PC magazines. If memory serves me right, the PS2 was unable to play the 'extras' discs of Disney films or the second-half of Toy Story 2 and Merlin (in both cases, it crashed at the layer change). With the Xbox, I think that it may have failed with Merlin (though I can check this), only one or two of the magazine cover-mounts. As you may have gathered, I don't currently have access to a PS2 and things may have improved greatly since the early-release console that I used.

Hope I covered some of what you needed to know... ;)

P.S. I've just noticed that comment re: The Jungle Book. It is in fact available in PS and PS2 versions. I know this because I have been close to buying one or the other on several occasions. I have just checked computerandvideogames and amazon too, and both editions are listed (if not readily available).

4. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thannks for the info guys!