1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance belongs to mom and pop...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by gringottsdirect, Jul 1, 2002.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    O.K. when I was 15 my parents liked Des O'Connor, Engelbert Humperdink and Perry Como. To fight them we had punk.
    2002 kids parents listen to rap, trance, garbage, house, techno, any dance it's basically just new disco, right. I mean exactly how cool do these guys look driving 'round town in their fat pipe Novas with A Guy Called Gerald frightening the old ladies outside the post office? C'mon guys...
    Wake up, chicks like rock 'n' roll like always, it's you know, more dangerous, hence cool.
    It's time to chuck out your chintz.
    Bring on loud guitars, say goodbye to mom's girly ice cream dance jingles... I wanna be teenage!
    Let's Rock !

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got no sodding idea what you're on about, but I got to agree completely.

Metal!

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea what your point is either, but can I ask if you have been partaking of any stimulants? ;) :p

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    God and pointon,
    Firstly I was sipping a coffee, so I admit the influence of stimulants:eek:
    ....every generation there comes a Slayer.
    No, not the Buffster, kids always rebel against the music of their parents. When watching Top of The Pops my Dad used to take the P out of Alice Cooper, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, T.Rex, Black Sabbath and the like. It's just noise, there's no tune and they can't sing for toffee, and they all need a wash! Andy Williams was more their cup of tea, he could sing in tune, you could hear the words and his pullovers were so tidy, those nice Osmond boys too.
    The fact that "old people" didn't like punk made it "ours", even better if oldies were frightened by it or didn't understand it.
    Kids today will turn against the music of their parents, as always happens, the music that's been dominant for the past 15 years is Dance, in all it's various incarnations. So kick out the Dance stuff, girly boy bands and let's see a resurgence of aggressive rock.
    There is a college nearby, over the past year or so you can't help notice that all the cool kids are grungy rock chicks and they sneer at the boy racers driving 'round and 'round the block with their boom, boom, tizz, boom jingles vibrating their rear windows, man that's so 1998. You even see Ozzy lookalikes carrying guitars again... great!
    I'm feeling really positive about the music scene of today, kids are turning their back on Gareth Gates and all these silly turntable mixers. Write your own songs, play your own instruments... real music for real people.
    Thanks due partly to Joss Whedon, I'm sure the popularity of Buffy the iconic culture within. The fashions within are seen everywhere. Let's see todays upcoming generation of youngsters slay the demon that is Dance with a stake through it's heart.

Hey ... Let's Rock!!! :devil:

5. Dittohead

Dittohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your enthusiasm for rock music is great, but surely music is better with a wide variety of styles. I have been into metal for one hell of a long time and hated every other kind of music. All I would ever listen to were Pantera, Slayer and Metallica albums and would never consider anything else. This was at a time when rock had long been declared dead and people like me were subject to constant ridicule for wearing Sepultura T-shirts. Now how different could things be?

A couple of years ago I opened my eyes and realised that there were other types of music which I could enjoy as well as heavy music and these days while I still go to Ozzfest and have a superb time watching Slayer and Ozzy I can also go to clubs and enjoy the music and appreciate it for what it is and not hate it just 'cos its not metal.

Believe me 5 years ago there was no way you would ever find Euphoria CDs sitting along with my beloved Metallica back catalogue but how things change.

And maybe I'm just being a cynic but I can't help feeling that the only reason that you see so many kids into rock music these days is not that dance has been put to rest, more that metal is just the coolest thing at the moment and tomorrow it'll all be something new.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to agree with Dittohead, it all pretty much comes full circle anyway... I mean, is Rob Zombie's music *really* that far removed from The Prodigy's more recent stuff for example?

I take your point about kids/parents/rebellion etc. but I bet there's a lot more parents into the likes of Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth than there are parents into real hardhouse music.

I grew up loving metal, Kiss were always my favourite band, and during the late 80s and early 90s I was a huge fan of the more extreme metal also.

Then I noticed acts like Nine Inch Nails, Ministry and Young Gods who were basically bringing the dance feel to heavy, guitar driven music. That led me to listen to more straight ahead dance music and eventually into the harder sound of euro trance, techno and UK hardhouse.

Trust me, I can remember almost being pinned to the back wall of Wembley Arena when Slayer played the 'Clash of the Titans' show there and I've gotten exactly the same feeling in clubs when a truly standout hardhouse track comes on.

It's wrong to suggest all dance music is fluffy and easy accessible. If you look beyond the Ministry of Sound compilations there's some equally twisted and hardcore dance stuff out there to rival any Slipknot tunes (even they use a DJ and some dance influenced beats!).

One thing I will say though, if the likes of Eminem and So Solid Crew made music with 10% as much effort as they put in to trying to make themselves look 'dangerous' they might just come up with something worth listening to.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well how about Def Leppard?

Also I like Van Halen (Roth version), Garry Moore, Deep Purple and a load of others, I had friends in bands, one friend had released a few albums with different bands, been in Killers, Lionsheart and Friction - but haven't heard Friction!

If I copy a vcr sound track (mono) to MD can anyone MP3 it and share it about? It was a gig by a rather good local band called Idol Rich - I filmed it about 1986 on my HVC4000P/SL-F1UB combo

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But can anyone tell me what's new about nu-metal?
    Did anyone hear Mutha's Day Out 1994 debut album My Soul is Wet. Sounds exactly like Papa Roach and Linkin Park to me.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nu-metal is a load of middle class/rich American white kids, usually in groups of five or more, who wear a combination of baggy chinos, plaid shirts, US sports/skate/yachting wear and ill-fitting jeans and invite at least one of their non-white mates to join their band and then play bad appropriations of every song off of Faith No More's 'The Real Thing' and pretend that they are:

(a) their own and/or original songs
    (b) good in any way other than as a means to sell clothing merchandise

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they nicked that look from Suicidal Tendencies. If you think the american acts try and ape FNM, listen to Welsh band The Lost Prophets' first single Fake Sound of Progress... put it this way if Mike Patton had never sung for FNM these boys wouldn't have a clue what to do.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "they nicked that look from Suicidal Tendencies"

Yup, big time.

Fieldy's (bass player for nu-metal 'Gods' Korn) look is virtually identical to Psycho Mike from Suicidal from around the late 80s.

Another 'old-school' band that nu-metal bands have ripped off royally, both musically and visually, are the vastly underrated Mordred.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your dad had no taste.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't talk daft.

Those stupid kids wouldn't know real rock or metal if it stole their drugs, pulled out their piercings and ran them over with a fork-lift. Rubbish pop dance and toss should be burned, but not all dance is cheesey pop crap.

With no style of music do you hear the truely original works of art, made with passion which become 'underground'. This happends to dance and rock and all other 'genres' of music all round. They are lapped up with equal passion by genuine fans, who don't just want to seem different by being exactly the same, unlike those moronic sheep-like nu-metal kids.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My wrath is aimed at the likes of Scooter.
    Take Supertramp's Logical Song from Breakfast In America, play snippets at 78rpm instead of 33rpm, overlay an ice cream van jingle and a dodgy white boy rap. Instant Top 10 hit. Doh!
    Musicians that are genuinely creative, write their own material and play their instruments, regardless of genre are deserving of respect.
    Hard House tracks, quality Trance, Air, Faithless, Orbital, and such, even Moby recreating obscure spirituals fair enough. Frank Sinatra was famed as an artist who interpreted other people's material, didn't actually write anything he sang. That's on a different level.
    Will Young's Light My Fire by numbers...just awful and pointless.
    It's a valid point about things turning in a circle, I'm just content that for a while maybe we'll see the last of formula Hip Hop clones, scratching their Technics 1210s to no great purpose.
    Nu-Metal, can't argue with what's said, but at least they play instruments and can take it on the road.
    As The Smiths put it... Hang The DJ.

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    pointon,
    Sorry I seem to have hit a nerve there, you haven't a Citroen Saxo with Fat Pipe by any chance:clown:

Ian J,
    He did like Seaside Shuffle by Terry Dactyl and The Dinosaurs, also Bryan Ferry's A Hard Rains A Gonna Fall and Birdie Song by The Tweets, so two out of three ain't bad. :rolleyes:

16. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's what nu-metallers are all about. Trying to be different by being exactly the same as each other, and segregating themselves from other people with prejudiced nonsense such as that boy-racer remark.

No, gringottsdirect, I am no boy-racer. I am a true metal and rock fan. I listen to decent music, not the latest Korn clone or what MTV2 or Kerrang tells me to listen to. I don't listen to all this corportae light-weight metal-pop garbage like Linkin Park, Papa Roach or Limp Bizkit. I don't dress the way I do because everyone else does. I don't live life for my guitar. I don't think some idiot greedy suit such as Durst is God, and I don't wear stupid hoodies or band T-shirts or drink snake bite and black (because that really is so cool!).

Total moronic sheep, that give true metallers and rockers a bad name.

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    pointon,
    Top post, I enjoyed that:cool:

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I might have done as well if I knew what he was talking about.

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair play regarding Scooter, that 'band' is basically taking the p*ss out of the very people that buy their happyhardcoretechnolite.

That said, they were also the people behind Ratty's 'Sunrise' (one of the best trance tunes of last year) and Guess Who?'s 'Posse (I Need You On The Floor)' another class hard trance stomper!

Pointon's basically got the nail on the head, most people only see and hear music that's not in their preferred genres from Radio One and the numerous Sky video/radio channels... and that means you're hearing 80% of the worst from those genres 100% of the time.

Some nu-metal is excellent, Tool for example could be classed as nu-metal, broadly speaking, but it's not often you hear them played on Radio 1 six times a day a la Papa Roach etc.

What really annoys me are bands like Nickelback who aren't even trying to pretend to do anything but rip off the grunge acts of 10 years ago.

That Spiderman 'Hero' song makes me laugh almost as much as Scooter.

20. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Fieldy's (bass player for nu-metal 'Gods' Korn) look is virtually identical to Psycho Mike from Suicidal from around the late 80s."

i`ve got a single taken from korns first album from back in 1995 - not exactly nu metal..... (only 3 years after angel dust..)

know what youre trying to say though

i pretty much gave up on rock after about 92/93 - not much happened after nirvana went under, and metallica started playing with orchestras..

listening to hard electronica these days, and finding metal less and less heavy all the time- never any real bass in it :devil:

oh and sahb - superb -gamblin` bar room blues is a classic(as is gangbang :D )

pointon - last few rock gigs i`ve been to have still been full of the requisite jeans and black t-shirt brigade . the scene hasn`t changed for about 15 years as far as i can see (first got into metal around 85) btw - alcopops seem to have replaced snakebite and black !

rob

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    :cool: Yeah!

22. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    :cool: Yeah !

23. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahahaha! - just whacked 1st side of "next" on - - -

swampsnake :eek: :D

(a prematurely old)

rob

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It must be 25 years since I heard Swampsnake. I must go shopping tomorrow but I don't suppose I'll find it in sleepy Telford

25. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blimey - you must have heard it last when i was 3:eek:

dont think you`ll find it in sleepy anywhere!

i think i`ve got nearly all the sahb albums, but my copy of next is cr*p(bought 2nd/3rd/4th hand) - gonna have to search out a vinyl re-press - bound to be a £25 "heavy vinyl" pressing going somewhere........

they were a funny bunch - either superbly great or absolute kak never inbetween - bit like the doors?

rob

26. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ....that's an open and shut case.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Rob, What a thing to say in public :)

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ya mob of Hippees

The only real music is country and western

But then again some of us speak through the proverbial

:clown:

29. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by robwells
    either superbly great or absolute kak - bit like er indoors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob, What a thing to say in public

hahahahaha :D

when my wife is good she`s superb, when she`s bad shes even better:devil:

ian, did i mention that my missus browses these forums? you`re gonna get me in trouble........

hippies - what are they?

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Then I suggest that you use a different name for risque posts. I hear that Alfred Saunders is now going spare :)

your wife shouldn't have time to browse the forum anyway, she should be out polishing the Nova.