Dan Dare New comic and poss film

dan-dare.jpg

Posted on Thursday 21 August 2008
Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future: Voyage to Venus Part 1

Audio CD review
Read by Rupert Degas, Tom Goodman-Hill, Kate O’Sullivan, Christian Rodska
Release date Out now

The archetypal British spaceman sets off on his first adventure – to the mysterious planet Venus!

Oh boy, this is a real step back in time. Dan Dare and the Eagle were an essential part of childhood for boys growing up in the 1950s and 1960s and Frank Hampson's classic tale is recreated incredibly faithfully in this audio adaptation, which simply uses Hampson's dialogue with an occasional interjection from the narrator.

Tom Goodman-Hill, recently seen as the Wasp-cum-Vicar in Doctor Who's Agatha Christie pastiche, makes an absolutely perfect 1950s gentleman, prepared for whatever the universe throws his way. Rupert Degas carries the brunt of the work, playing every other part, except the female Professor! Some of his accents are a bit iffy, but it's a tribute to the diversity of his performance that there are numerous scenes of him talking to himself which don't sound like a standard book reading with the narrator adopting different accents.

Anyone familiar with Independence Day, and David Arnold's fanfares for its soundtrack, will have a feeling of déjà vu when the discs start, as with one note altered, the Dan Dare theme is strikingly similar. Otherwise the post production and effects are competent. Paul Simpson

VERDICT: 7/10
An interesting version that proves that you don't always need the pictures in a comic strip!

New Dan Dare comic in November and talk of a film.

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/2007/08/virgin-comics-dan-dare-film-to-come.html

A film could be nice.
Bri

That article is nearly a year old, is there any update at all?

Like the remake of The Prisoner I have mixed feelings about any possible film. I worry that it’s either going to be played for laughs or so modernised that it bears little resemblance to the original comic version. On the other hand, it would be wonderful to have another Dan Dare adventure if done properly…

I seem to remember many years ago there was talk of a screen version with Rodney Bewes to be cast as Digby, which obviously came to nothing. It’s quite sad to think the only thing there is that captures something of the feel of the comic strip are these Mobil Dan Dare spoofs:

Rocket to Nowhere

Passage to DelMik

Mekon Ahoy

Thanks for the Audio CD info. :)

captain america looks more promising

That article is nearly a year old, is there any update at all?

I seem to remember many years ago there was talk of a screen version with Rodney Bewes to be cast as Digby, which obviously came to nothing. It’s quite sad to think the only thing there is that captures something of the feel of the comic strip are these Mobil Dan Dare spoofs:

I've not heard anything else about the film. There's been seven issues of the comic.

There was going to be a TV series with Bewes. It was to be part animation. There was also an animation version which was tucked away on Channel 5 on Saturday mornings some years ago.

Who would really be interested in watching a Dan Dare film?

It'll be straight to DVD.

Looks like australian actor Sam Worthington has signed on as the lead in "Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future" movie for Warner Bros. Worthington was born in England, so he qualifies...

No director or writers in place.

Looks like australian actor Sam Worthington has signed on as the lead in "Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future" movie for Warner Bros. Worthington was born in England, so he qualifies...

No director or writers in place.

An Australian even if born in England? Rai, do you have a link?

Cheers
Bri

Much as I'd like to see a Dan Dare film, with past experience of hollywoods treatment of UK material, I have zero expectations. Thoughts of The Avengers, Thunderbirds and Judge Dredd make me shudder. If they get a british director and not interfere then maybe it has a chance.

A major part of the problem with The Avengers is that Steed is Patrick McNee and Mrs Peel is Diana Rigg. It's hard to imagine many or any other actors in those roles regardless of anything else. Given that I thought it was ok but I had very low expectations. There's a film called Undercover Blues in which the couple played by Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner are clearly based on Steed and Mrs Peel. They played them very well.

With Judge Dredd you knew it was dead in the water as soon as they cast Stallone. There was no way they were going to pay his fee and keep him masked throughout so it wasn't to be a faithful adaption. Again it was ok but it wasn't Dredd.

What can you say about Thunderbirds? The original idea was to make a big budget action film which may've worked but they went for a lower budget "family" film and gave it an American director who didn't know anything about it. It was terrible but don't forget there were two previous films made by the original cast and crew which worked pretty well.

Bri

A major part of the problem with The Avengers is that Steed is Patrick McNee and Mrs Peel is Diana Rigg. It's hard to imagine many or any other actors in those roles regardless of anything else. Given that I thought it was ok but I had very low expectations.
I agree it was badly cast but I don't think it couldn't work without Patrick McNee who had 3 different co-stars and not just Diana Rigg. I think the big problem was they had an american director who didn't understand the querky sensibilities of the show.

There's a film called Undercover Blues in which the couple played by Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner are clearly based on Steed and Mrs Peel. They played them very well.
I know that film and it was based on The Thin Man series of films from the 1930's. Sorry but I thought Quaid and Turner were terrible in it. The two leading actors in The Thin Man films conveyed a casual, lassez faire attitude to the perils they found themselves in. Quaid and Turner each conveyed this attitude by wearing an incessant grin throughout their film.

I agree it was badly cast but I don't think it couldn't work without Patrick McNee who had 3 different co-stars and not just Diana Rigg. I think the big problem was they had an american director who didn't understand the querky sensibilities of the show.

Ms Rigg as Mrs Peel was the best of those three by far. I don't know if it's true but it was said that there was a longer cut of the film which worked better.

I know that film and it was based on The Thin Man series of films from the 1930's. Sorry but I thought Quaid and Turner were terrible in it. The two leading actors in The Thin Man films conveyed a casual, lassez faire attitude to the perils they found themselves in.

Pretty much like Steed and Mrs Peel. I know of The Thin Man films but I haven't seen them. From what you say they may have been an influence on the Mrs Peel episodes. I thought Quaid and Turner were brilliant but the supporting cast not as good. My god this has turned into an Avengers thread, it deserves it's own.

:D
Bri

Pretty much like Steed and Mrs Peel. I know of The Thin Man films but I haven't seen them. From what you say they may have been an influence on the Mrs Peel episodes. I thought Quaid and Turner were brilliant but the supporting cast not as good. My god this has turned into an Avengers thread, it deserves it's own.

:D
Bri
The couple in The Thin Man films were married, idle rich and solved murders/mysteries for fun.

A rumour at the moment?

Cheers anyway
Bri

not anymore

Sam Worthington Confirms 'Dan Dare' Involvement

MTV News spoke to Sam Worthington during a "Titans" press junket, the actor confirmed rumors that he's attached to a movie based on British science-fiction hero "Dan Dare".

"'Dan Dare,' same type of thing — we're seeing how they're going to develop it and where they want it to go," he said. "I'm at that stage now where I want to do movies where I get my $16 worth. ... Something like 'Dan Dare,' there was something in the reboot by [Garth Ennis] that was amazing."

Garth Ennis reboot? I forgot Dan Dare has had several incarnations, as well as originally appearing in The Eagle he used to appear in 2000AD but it was DD in name only and there was a TV show a few years back. I wonder which one they'll opt for? I can't imagine it'll be the original.

Why not? I'd imagine it'd be tongue in cheek though. There was a pretty good take on Biggles quite a few years ago.

Bri
I don't think they've got the right sensibilities to use the original and make it work. With Sam Worthington in the frame I doubt this will be at all subtle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom