Damson S-Series Home Cinema System Review & Comments

This is an odd product. Lots of good ideas, and seemingly aimed at the "lifestyle" market, so why does the sound bar looks like a laminator?

I agree, decent ideas, odd execution. So odd in fact, I double checked to see if it was posted yesterday.

The height speaker seems more suited to perching on top of the TV, rather than directly on top of the soundbar.

Over-branded considering it's price point and target market - it looks like something you may have picked up for £60 in an Aldi clearance special IMO.

Last edited:
We're getting there. Close, but no cigar.

We need the 'amp' section of this, with wireless connection for all 5.1 (or 7.1) speakers. Front LCRs instead of a soundbar. All the satellites the same as the rears here. Better sub.

I agree completely with your review (although I didn't realise the S-Cubes were more bassie than the sub). I had this system for nine months, sold it and went back to my Sony 9.1 headphones, but the 'good' news is that Damson are working on a larger sub & sound bar, although you might say they should have got it right at the beginning, but most users seem well satisfied with it as it is. Probably ideal for bedroom TBH.

Last edited:
This reminds me of early soundbars and sound bases: all the elements were there but the execution wasn't quite complete.

But we always need someone to stick their head above the parapet and take the first, stumbling step. Wires are the last hurdle because they're messy, inconvenient and unsightly, unless you're prepared to chase them through false walls.

And bass is absolutely vital to rich and full sound, any system has virtually no impact when it's thin and weedy.

Just one question, Greg: you say that the S-Cubes use rechargeable batteries (I think), but how do you recharge them? USB? Remove the batteries or charge in situ via wall socket?

This reminds me of early soundbars and sound bases: all the elements were there but the execution wasn't quite complete.

But we always need someone to stick their head above the parapet and take the first, stumbling step. Wires are the last hurdle because they're messy, inconvenient and unsightly, unless you're prepared to chase them through false walls.

And bass is absolutely vital to rich and full sound, any system has virtually no impact when it's thin and weedy.

Just one question, Greg: you say that the S-Cubes use rechargeable batteries (I think), but how do you recharge them? USB? Remove the batteries or charge in situ via wall socket?

Via wall socket; just leave them connected.

There's something I've advocated before - a 'rear soundbar'.

One of the big problems can be 'hiding' the rears. Imagine for a second a shelf, like an IKEA floating shelf, about the width of your sofa - maybe a bit wider. You could use it as a shelf! But built in/hidden (false books?) would be speakers - a couple firing at the sofa, a couple firing towards the side walls, to create the 'back 4' from a 7.1 system.

Have any wiring contained in the shelf, and just one socket in the bottom. You could plug it in and charge it up while you were out at work, or in bed, or whatever. In normal use, on a day to day basis, no wires.

The front 3 could be charged similarly.

All speakers, including the sub, are wireless.

What's not to like?

There's something I've advocated before - a 'rear soundbar'.

One of the big problems can be 'hiding' the rears. Imagine for a second a shelf, like an IKEA floating shelf, about the width of your sofa - maybe a bit wider. You could use it as a shelf! But built in/hidden (false books?) would be speakers - a couple firing at the sofa, a couple firing towards the side walls, to create the 'back 4' from a 7.1 system.

Have any wiring contained in the shelf, and just one socket in the bottom. You could plug it in and charge it up while you were out at work, or in bed, or whatever. In normal use, on a day to day basis, no wires.

The front 3 could be charged similarly.

All speakers, including the sub, are wireless.

What's not to like?

A "Soundshelf" -I like it!

For true WAF though, we really need wireless "Soundcushions"

Just disguise 4 floorstanders as George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling and Jon Hamm and all of a sudden they'd be fine.

When I first saw the photo I thought you were reviewing office equipment: you've got a fan, a laminator or inkjet printer, and two electric pencil sharpeners ;).

"The subwoofer measures just 240mm square and 80mm deep but does weigh 1.9kg, so has a nice weighty feel to it."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Was this intended to be comedy?

They actually have the system on offer at the moment for £499, not sure if that would sway anyone

Hi guys sorry to butt in ... but I think that Bass increase has happened via the latest firmware update ... I know cos I may get this set after reading just that a couple of days ago .... as I am currently selling my Onkyo (pioneer) LS 7200 amp sub & soundbar Atmos & DTS. X to get this instead ... as my room is Quiet Small & the onkyo is a bit too much ... for the neighbours & the wife lol

Hi guys sorry to butt in ... but I think that Bass increase has happened via the latest firmware update ... I know cos I may get this set after reading just that a couple of days ago .... as I am currently selling my Onkyo (pioneer) LS 7200 amp sub & soundbar Atmos & DTS. X to get this instead ... as my room is Quiet Small & the onkyo is a bit too much ... for the neighbours & the wife lol

If you do buy it, can you update the Thread with your thoughts please?

If you do buy it, can you update the Thread with your thoughts please?
I have Now Setup This System With 4 Additional S Cube Speaker & The Bass is More Than Adequate For the Average Room Size ... Pros: Well Built , Compact , Great overall Sound , (Can You buy better? Yes of Course) In fact the One I am Getting Rid of is MUCH Better .... BUT This System is MORE than Adequate & Now you Can add up to 16 S Cubes For The Ultimate Music / Cinema System For Around the Home. NOW FOR THE CONS: Remote Control is Black NOT Backlit & Awkward to Use In the Dark Due To The Almost flat Buttons For volume especially all use Plug in Power adapters meaning Using a multi extension you may lose a Socket or two due to Spacing of Sockets , & The SUBWOOFER houses ALL the HDMI connections So it Can’t be Moved Too Far From where it is set up

I have Now Setup This System With 4 Additional S Cube Speaker & The Bass is More Than Adequate For the Average Room Size ... Pros: Well Built , Compact , Great overall Sound , (Can You buy better? Yes of Course) In fact the One I am Getting Rid of is MUCH Better .... BUT This System is MORE than Adequate & Now you Can add up to 16 S Cubes For The Ultimate Music / Cinema System For Around the Home. NOW FOR THE CONS: Remote Control is Black NOT Backlit & Awkward to Use In the Dark Due To The Almost flat Buttons For volume especially all use Plug in Power adapters meaning Using a multi extension you may lose a Socket or two due to Spacing of Sockets , & The SUBWOOFER houses ALL the HDMI connections So it Can’t be Moved Too Far From where it is set up

But it the bass any good now? As you stated it had a firmware update to improve it... also can you now use two extra speakers for fronts aswell as the bar and upfiring bar. aswell as two rears?
Cheers

Chris

But it the bass any good now? As you stated it had a firmware update to improve it... also can you now use two extra speakers for fronts aswell as the bar and upfiring bar. aswell as two rears?
Cheers

Chris
Has I Said ... it is Not Earth Shattering But MORE Than Adequate For an Average Room Size it was some Tool? Rather Than Firmware Update But After Speaking To customer Support ALL S cinema Subs Being Sold By Damson Global have been Altered with this Update prior to leaving The Factory ... Look Guys Your NEVER Gonna Know Unless you Try it? BUY Direct From Damson Global & it’s Only £499.99 Complete & You Can Try it out for 30 Days From The Date of Shipping But The Return (if you send it Back? Will be at Your Expense after contacting Damson for a Returns Code) it Comes Separately Boxed With an Outer CardBoard Box for Protection. So you can Try? For 30 days & all it will Cost you if u send it Back? £10-£15 Max ... My ONLY annoying system Points are: FLAT Buttons on The Remote (awkward in the dark finding Vol button) The Sub housing the HDMI’S means it Can’t be Moved too far. and Slow Switching From HDMI To HDMI & The Fact That it Has Power Supply Adapters (Which are a Multi Socket Pain in the Arse cos you Lose Sockets) , Likes: Great Sound Having a total of SIX S Cubes , Small less intrusive , Can Be Wireless???

Has I Said ... it is Not Earth Shattering But MORE Than Adequate For an Average Room Size it was some Tool? Rather Than Firmware Update But After Speaking To customer Support ALL S cinema Subs Being Sold By Damson Global have been Altered with this Update prior to leaving The Factory ... Look Guys Your NEVER Gonna Know Unless you Try it? BUY Direct From Damson Global & it’s Only £499.99 Complete & You Can Try it out for 30 Days From The Date of Shipping But The Return (if you send it Back? Will be at Your Expense after contacting Damson for a Returns Code) it Comes Separately Boxed With an Outer CardBoard Box for Protection. So you can Try? For 30 days & all it will Cost you if u send it Back? £10-£15 Max ... My ONLY annoying system Points are: FLAT Buttons on The Remote (awkward in the dark finding Vol button) The Sub housing the HDMI’S means it Can’t be Moved too far. and Slow Switching From HDMI To HDMI & The Fact That it Has Power Supply Adapters (Which are a Multi Socket Pain in the Arse cos you Lose Sockets) , Likes: Great Sound Having a total of SIX S Cubes , Small less intrusive , Can Be Wireless???
Unsure if you are using a mobile device but can you please make your posts legible? Capitalising every second or third word makes it difficult to read.

Unsure if you are using a mobile device but can you please make your posts legible? Capitalising every second or third word makes it difficult to read.

I agree it doesn’t make for easy reading when there are so many words having attention brought to them.

Damson have now released a V2 of this system, apparently with a better subwoofer.

I hope you can use the small satellite speakers for L/R channels

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom