Damsel in Distress! LG OLED to LG soundbar issue

D

Deleted member 877751

Hey guys,

I have an LG OLED linked to a LG soundbar via an optical cable. I have an issue I am hoping someone could help resolve!! I have the soundbar auto power volume turned “on” so when I turn the TV on the sound bar turns on. However when I turn the TV on there is often no sound playing even though the sound bar is clearly turned on. I have figured out a workaround which is as follows -

On the OLED I do the following...

Settings - Sound - Sound Out - Optical - LG Sound Sync - I then toggle the option on and then off and then on again and the sound bar works.

This is the only way I have ever figured out how to get this to work. Could anyone share any ideas on how I can get the soundbar to just turn on when I turn the TV on and for the sound to be produced automatically?! To me it looks like there is some conflict with the TV and the soundbar but I didn’t think this would happen if I bought LG products

thank you so much!

Try going into the LG universal remote configuration on the TV.

See if it allows you to configure the magic remote to control the soundbar, that sometimes improves LG's control over other devices but LG's not the greatest in this area.

If your on an older OLED the remote config is in the input manager, if your on a newer one its on the homescreen.

Hopefully the remote powering on the device instead of relying on auto power on resolves the issue, could be some kind of bug detection issue with auto power on.

Alternate option, get a cheap universal remote like this, program it to control the soundbar and TV so when you power on with that remote it manually sends power on command via infrared. Works for me as my OLED only intermittently powers on my soundbar via HDMI.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi!
Thank you for the above! Unfortunately it didn’t work :-( thanks though! it seems to be some sort of issue between the sound sync option, I have to toggle it off and then on again to get sound to play. See attached picture. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 9EC888BF-2A80-4D2F-BF33-AD75E78D11D3.jpeg
    9EC888BF-2A80-4D2F-BF33-AD75E78D11D3.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 60
Which oled and which soundbar models ?

Are both if them fully updated with software revisions etc?

Hi - it’s OLED55C9MLB and the sound bar is pictured on the attachment. Not sure what the model no is. Thanks!

Attachments

• 38DBEE39-1E22-4E34-8290-0F4E346BB297.jpeg
    38DBEE39-1E22-4E34-8290-0F4E346BB297.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 45
Hi - it’s OLED55C9MLB and the sound bar is pictured on the attachment. Not sure what the model no is. Thanks!
Why are you using optical? You should connect with a hdmi cable through arc and you don’t want to use pcm, use digital or bitstream.

I’d love to use HDMI but the soundbar doesn’t seem to have an hdmi cable? It only has ports for a usb or optical? The model number is SK4D I’ve just found

I’d love to use HDMI but the soundbar doesn’t seem to have an hdmi cable? It only has ports for a usb or optical? The model number is SK4D I’ve just found

Yeah this model does not have HDMI its optical and wireless only.

You could try removing the optical cable and use it on LG sound sync only see if that works just on its own (according o the manual it seems to support this).

Maybe having both optical and wireless connected at the same time is the source of the problem.

Hang on - I can use it without the optical cable? if I unplug the soundbar optical cable, how can I connect it to the TV?

Sorry about this but I’m new to sound bars!! I converted from Sony TVs to LG last year, never looked back! Just confused with the soundbar set up. Thank you!

Hang on - I can use it without the optical cable? if I unplug the soundbar optical cable, how can I connect it to the TV?

Sorry about this but I’m new to sound bars!! I converted from Sony TVs to LG last year, never looked back! Just confused with the soundbar set up. Thank you!
If I’m honest, I would ditch that soundbar and get one that has a hdmi port and supports Dolby atmos. You have a C9 and will not get the full benefits of the tv otherwise.

Hang on - I can use it without the optical cable? if I unplug the soundbar and the optical cable, how can I connect it to the TV?

If I’m honest, I would ditch that soundbar and get one that has a hdmi port and supports Dolby atmos. You have a C9 and will not get the full benefits of the tv otherwise.

Interesting... can you recommend one?

Hang on - I can use it without the optical cable? if I unplug the soundbar and the optical cable, how can I connect it to the TV?

Interesting... can you recommend one?
There are many and it depends on your budget. You would be better off going into a store and listening to some of them. You would want one as well that fits your tv so that your tv screen doesn’t get partially blocked. Maybe an LG one.

These are LG's instructions for wireless connections

There are many and it depends on your budget. You would be better off going into a store and listening to some of them. You would want one as well that fits your tv so that your tv screen doesn’t get partially blocked. Maybe an LG one.

Hey guys. Hoping someone can offer some further advice. I’ve now upgraded to a new soundbar, an LG SN7Y. Very happy with it. However I can’t figure out the optimal settings on the bar. The functions I am most confused with are...

C - this one confuses me,I can’t tell what changes when I tweak it. I’m guessing it means centre? What should I set it to?

OVC - not sure what this does? Overhead centre? What does it do?

Also I occasionally I notice the soundbar system seems to become bass-less. The subwoofer is on and works fine but I feel like the system is trying to figure out where the sound source is coming from when watching a programme but it is noticeable and the older cheaper soundbar didn’t do it?

C is centre volume and OVC is overhead volume control according to the documentation

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom