Dampness on walls and Treatment

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sapstar, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sapstar

sapstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi guys, I apologise if this is completely irrelevant to this forum.

I am looking for some information on dealing with dampness in my kitchen. I see some dampness on my kitchen walls and some paint peeling off. I don't have any mould. I found a local damp proofer and asked him to check and give me a quote. He checked for dampness and told me that couple of walls are saturated with dampness and I will need all the plaster removed form the walls, some chemicals applied and replastered again.

Following that visit, I bought a Moisture detector from Amazon and checked for dampness on the walls. I see that there is no pattern in the dampness to identify where it is coming from, but I see the damp readings are higher towards the ceiling and very less towards the floor. I think only 3 areas actually reported high in 20's using this meter. Rest of the areas on these walls report low with a couple of medium readings.

I have also checked the exterior of these walls to see if there are any leaks or stagnant water, but couldn't find anything. I believe the dampness is from the cooking, as I have no extractor hood and heating in my kitchen.

I am trying to understand if I need to treat these walls or invest in an additional radiator and dehumidifier and make sure the kitchen is ventilated. I am actually redoing my kitchen in the next month. If I need to do a damp treatment, this may be the right time, but not sure if I really need it.

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
  3. craigy_b

craigy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    It sounds more like condensation than damp. Is the problem on an outside wall? Is it worse during the winter? I would be wary about having someone take all the plaster off and treat the walls only to be left with the same problem. The problem being at the top of the walls would suggest the hot air is rising and cooling on the cold wall. I could be wrong though.

I have problems with condensation after moving house and will be studding and insulating our walls before the new kitchen is fitted, installing an extractor and upgrading the heating. Fingers crossed.

4. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
    Adding heating will make it worse and the one I linked to is whisper quiet compared to a conventional kitchen extractor ( I presume it could be attached to an extractor housing for aesthetics.

5. sapstar

sapstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    @craigy_b, the problem is on walls inside my kitchen. One of the walls has external wall on the other side. The other on connects to another room. I haven't monitored this much, but I have seen the walls feeling damp both in winters and summers.

I have now peeled off some paint on the wall and checked with the moisture detector and it gives lower readings. I strongly think it is more of condensation than damp now. The damp proofer quoted me £1200 to fix it. I am considering getting a dehumidifier and a heater in the room rather than shelling out for fixing damp.

I have an extractor fan on the opposite to the hob which I don't use much. Time to start using it more.

@SteveCritten, I followed the link you sent, but don't see any prices published. Is this a custom solution which needs to be installed?

6. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,402
    PIV

I have been researching condensation for the past 6 months. If the condensation seems much better in the summer months then it is indeed likely to be condensation.

When I spoke to two different damp experts and one who does a lot of work in rented properties whereby people dry a lot of clothes inside- they both recommended one of these as it stops the issues immediately.

I'm putting one in my own home before winter this year:-

Residential Ventilation from Nuaire | Nuaire

7. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
    I think the one I linked to I got for £700 + vat.

8. sapstar

sapstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had a second damp proofing company visit my house. This person checked all the damp areas and confirmed that I don't have dampness and it is just condensation. He suggested I use the extractor fan more.

Past few days have been really warm and I don't really see much dampness in my kitchen everything seems to be dried out.

I just got a 20L dehumidifier today and am planning to get a radiator installed in the Kitchen. That should help in future. I will start acting as soon as I see any condensation. Thanks very much everyone for your inputs.

9. McVicar

McVicar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,234
    @SteveCritten @Wahreo

I don't doubt that any of these products are effective but I can't help but think they're in some way counter productive.

10. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
    Worked brilliant in one of my flats.

11. McVicar

McVicar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,234
    Sorry Steve I didn't explain what I was thinking and my thinking was only really re let property so dont know why i tagged wahreo as well as he was mentioning one for his home, apologies :facepalm:.

I know you've mentioned them before and they sound bloody good, I just wondered if you put them in a property you're letting out whether some would over rely on that to do the job so they can keep the windows closed all year round, every rad covered in clothes straight out the washer, bathroom with door and window closed becoming a steam room etc and when you exit the bathroom shut the door after you. I'm probably rambling a bit but i meant is would some take less care if they thought there's this system installed that basically means you don't have to do any of your own ventilation etc etc not explaining myself well arrrgggghhhh

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,851
    Nope... :)

I think they probably work best on houses not designed to have central heating or double glazing that have had it put in.

13. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,096
    I don't follow here, you say you have condensation, you also say you have an extractor that you hardly use. Why complicate things with expensive solutions, just use the extractor, that's what it's there for!

14. sapstar

sapstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My extractor is on the other side of kitchen. Will help a bit, buy can't solve the issue. I don't have one above the cooker.

15. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,402
    I have bad condemnation in my bungalow. The walls have no cavity and get very cold in the winter.

I have the most powerful extractor fan I could buy and regularly 'vent' the house. I never dry clothes inside and always use an the extractor in the bathroom and kitchen.

It makes very little difference.

The fact is that when the warm air hits the cold walls, condensation can occur.

I'm going to try the PIV before the winter. I only moved in 6 months ago so I will report back.

An independent expert has said these work very well- not a salesman because I shall be fitting the unit myself.