• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Damping plasterboard structures to reduce ringing

stainless-steel

Hi, I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been answered but a bit of searching hasn't unearthed an answer yet...

I've built a couple of plasterboard structures in the living room, a pelmet to hide projector screen and a bit of boxing in under the stairs. But I'm a bit worried about any ringing/stored energy in these structures.
The room is pretty inert today as all the walls are blockwork, the last thing I want to do is end up with that sort of ringing sound you get when the room is energized and then there's a sudden pause in the music or film. Particularly as I plan to spend a bit of money of room treatment elsewhere.

I've been looking for self adhesive damping materials, something like dynamat for cars, but ideally a bit cheaper. But there does't seem to be anything aimed at the domestic market that fulfills this function.

Is anyone aware of such a product? I don't really want to go down the road of plaster board with the massloaded vinyl adhered to the back unless I have to...

Any DIY options I can bond on the back of the boards with green gunk?

Ideas appreciated....

Cheers.

Amioa

call Gary at custom audio designs and ask about Tecsound 50 sheet, that might do the trick

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom