1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

damping factor? can someone explain this

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j.fitz, Aug 24, 2001.

1. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have an av amp with a damping factor of 200[yamaha a2]which im told is good .however i have been checking our other amps/receivers and they have a figure of 80/100 [as i want to upgrade].<br />why is this and is a good damping factor necessary<br />.what is it for anyway.regards jimmy .

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An amps damping factor is simply the result of dividing the speakers impedance by the amps output impedance.<br />i.e 8ohms(speaker) divided by 0.1ohms(amp output impedance) = 80(damping factor).<br />So as you can see the damping factor is only relevent to the speaker it's driving, the only constant is the amps output impedance which will varies from amp to amp. The factor is always quoted "against" an 8ohm load.<br />The damping factor is commonly associated with the amps ability to "grip" the driver i.e make the driver stop rather than "overhang".<br />The damping factor really is not all that relevent to performance given that it is the total of two other values. For small(ish) drivers &lt;6" there would be really no percieved difference between a damping factor of 80 or 800.<br />It is commonly accepted that any thing over 50 is "good"(?). Of course if you are using 18" drivers then a large D.Factor is more of an issue but without doubt factors such as an amps transformer/capacitance has a far bigger role in performance.<br />In real world terms it is much more likely that an amp of say 1000watts output with a damping factor of 60 will have a far better "grip" than say an amp with an output of 50watts with a damping factor of 1000.

SteveEX

[ 25-08-2001: Message edited by: SteveEX ]</p>