Damn XBox Codecs!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sure this is a well-known and often-requested problem, but I've yet to find a suitable solution.

Have an XBox 360 :clap: , bought at the end of 2009, so it's new. When I try and play certain video files, off of XBox magazine coverdiscs, or via my USB stick, it tells me I need to get the Media Update "51-C00DF236", and to connect to XBox Live to do it.

Just one big problem...

I don't have internet connections at my flat, nor do I know of anyone else who does. :( :mad:

So, can anyone tell me a way to get the codec download please, before I go postal on my XBox?! :( I'm angry that such downloads don't come on the coverdiscs themselves, or can't be legally downloaded from the XBox.com website, and put onto a CD or USB stick for people to install them manually.

I've e-mailed XBox.com too, but I don't expect a helpful reply from them. :(

Thanks, in advance. :)

Pooch

Last edited:

You can't.
You have to go onto xbox live and download the "optional media update", theres no getting round it.

Hi All,

I'm sure this is a well-known and often-requested problem, but I've yet to find a suitable solution.

Have an XBox 360 :clap: , bought at the end of 2009, so it's new. When I try and play certain video files, off of XBox magazine coverdiscs, or via my USB stick, it tells me I need to get the Media Update "51-C00DF236", and to connect to XBox Live to do it.

Just one big problem...

I don't have internet connections at my flat, nor do I know of anyone else who does. :( :mad:

So, can anyone tell me a way to get the codec download please, before I go postal on my XBox?! :( I'm angry that such downloads don't come on the coverdiscs themselves, or can't be legally downloaded from the XBox.com website, and put onto a CD or USB stick for people to install them manually.

I've e-mailed XBox.com too, but I don't expect a helpful reply from them. :(

Thanks, in advance. :)

Pooch

If you're on Twitter send a message to xboxsupport they might not have an immediate solution but they may feed it in to future releases, especially now there is USB support.

Hi,

Thanks everyone, especially "RottenFox". Thought that might be the answer. :( Dammmit. :(

Pooch

Hi,

Well, thankfully, I had a response from XBox.com, who sent me a not very helpful answer, but which - after a few bits of clicking around - did lead me to where you can legally get the 84mb download in full! :clap:

Basically, "Save Target As..." (or browser equivalent) on this link here, and save the 84mb zip file.

Unzip it, and then place the unzipped files onto a blank or empty USB stick. Take said stick, and then insert into your XBox 360. Restart the XBox, and it should automatically detect the new software update, and ask if you wish to install it. Select "Of course I ruddy well do, you stupid poxy piece of gubbins", and voila! :D Hopefully, everything should now be up-to-date, with no nead for an internet connection being linked to your XBox.

I should point out, I've not performed the software update yet, and so...

NEITHER MYSELF, NOR ANYONE RELATING TO, (OR WORKING FOR, OR ON BEHALF OF), AV FORUMS AND ANY OR ALL OF ITS ASSOCIATES, WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU SCREW-UP YOUR CONSOLE, BY FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND LINK! YOU PERFORM THE UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Okay, legal disclaimer over with. :D Good Luck folks! Now, if only Microsoft actually informed people that they can download and install this update via other methods than XBox Live! :rolleyes:

Pooch

Last edited:
Yep, that's the latest dashboard update, you can download from Xbox.com, or Microsoft's site, or from putting a recent game in your 360 console.
What you wanted though is the update which allows you to play DIVX, persay, which is only available from Xbox Live, and is called "Optional Media Update" which is NOT included in the System Updates, due to Microsoft's Draconian DRM system.

Last edited:
Hi RottenFox,

You were right. My XBox wouldn't register the update, because although the Zip file was created at the beginning of the month, once you unzip it all, it's only then do you realise the file is dated Feb 2010! :mad: :thumbsdow And by that point, I'd already had this update performed on my XBox, so it just sat there, staring at me, wondering what the hell I was expecting it to do! :facepalm:

What a complete waste of time and energy. :(

Pooch

You need to have you xbox connected to Live everytime you want to an encoded file. No way around...IICR...

You can stick the film in, download the optional update and watch the movie. You can be disconncted from Live and watch any file until you switch the xbox off.

Turn your xbox on again and you have to start the whole process. I b elieve its like an onlince check, as you don't need to download the update again...you only have to be connected to Live.

My kids console was connected to Live for the Optional update, and never connected to Live again, and it runs files just fine, with no online checks.
However, if you change harddrives, consoles, move profiles to another console, or play at a friends house with your profile, etc, you will need to either sign into Live to use it/download it, and forever be signed in to validate it, unless you use the "Once a Year" DRM tool.

You need to have you xbox connected to Live everytime you want to an encoded file. No way around...IICR...

You can stick the film in, download the optional update and watch the movie. You can be disconncted from Live and watch any file until you switch the xbox off.

Turn your xbox on again and you have to start the whole process. I b elieve its like an onlince check, as you don't need to download the update again...you only have to be connected to Live.

Not entirely true because once the update is downloaded you can watch files when not connected to Live just fine.

If you however get a new HDD and transfer your downloads then you will need to be online, that is unless you do the license transfer which will then allow you to watch files without being connected.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom