1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn those HDMI switcher prices!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Kazman, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why are all the HDMI and DVI switching solutions so damn expensive!!??!??

Can they justify the cost? Analogue active switchers are so much cheaper, and digital components are surely easier and cheaper to manufacture? It's all just 1's and 0's :D I am of course talking about them being relatively expensive.

I don't need one right now as only my DVD player is HDMI, but with the Sky HD launch next year, I'm going to be needing one :(

Maybe I should have waited for the new Sagem 45" DLP TV with 2 HDMI inputs :D alas, I will only have one HDCP DVDI-D input port, at least my amp can handle four component inputs for video switching so the Xbox 360 (when it arrives) can be plugged in without issue.

What are the best value HDMI/DVI switchers out there right now then?

Still :mad: at the current prices though :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Kazman

I guess one difference being the HDMI switchers include 'licensed' technology whereas Analogue switchers don't - so a few pennies go to Silicon Image on most switchers.

See http://www.siliconimage.com/products/productfamily.aspx?id=1

Joe

PS Gefen work well - though you need to be clear if you need Video Only or Video + Audio or Video/Audio.