Damn this forum and all who visit it.....

djh4000

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says, over the years this forum has cost me a fortune, or so my wife tells me, oh and the wife before her too !

It all started when I was advised I NEEDED a surround sound amplifier, but then I had to get a bigger screen, so a 36 inch CRT came about.

That screen wasn’t big enough, so a projector came and went along with a 6ft manual screen. Of course now I needed bigger speakers, so they came and went when little people arrived on the seen (The wife thought they would fall over and hurt the little person and of course damage the speaker)

They were then replaced with kef eggs, but of course I now needed a bigger amp and it had to be 7.1, of course now I needed more speakers. The sound system had been upgraded so obviously I now needed another projector and screen.

In all this time, many, many dvd players came and went all costing stupid amounts of money (why can’t you get a cheapy from Asda came the numerous cries, but what could those people know about this crazy hobby/obsession)

I then bought a plasma and to be honest its been great, but this damn forum had me itching for an upgrade.

I then was told I needed blu ray, after first of course dabbling in HD DVD (burnt again), so it had to be Pioneer (well they do look nice don’t they !)

Obviously at this point the sensible thing to do was to stop looking, but my need to upgrade was too much. I had settled on a Panasonic G10 (50 inch), but along came the LG PS8000 and that seemed to good to be true, however like all nutcases on here I couldn’t get passed the Pioneer.

I knew in my heart that I would always wonder, why didn’t I push the boat out……….well now I have and after a 3 week wait and lots of pound notes later I am soon to be the proud owner of a 5090 and its coming today !

I’m getting excited like a kid in a toy shop, but I hope I’m not too disappointed, cos if I am I fear I will be on to wife number 3 as the current model will apply for a divorce and who can blame her.

There are clinics for people with addictions, but can you get admitted for an AV obsession…………

Please, please, please stop suggesting I need to upgrade, modify, enhance or anything else or I fear I’ll always be chasing a dream that I can never achieve. Oh and of course tell me I’m not alone and that there are others who are perhaps even madder than me.

So - you've upgraded your electronics - several times in some cases, and your partner once.

Sounds to me like you need to build a dedicated AV room extension on your house; one which is optimised for sound dispersal and blackout conditions.

As the title says, over the years this forum has cost me a fortune, or so my wife tells me, oh and the wife before her too !

It all started when I was advised I NEEDED a surround sound amplifier, but then I had to get a bigger screen, so a 36 inch CRT came about.

That screen wasn't big enough, so a projector came and went along with a 6ft manual screen. Of course now I needed bigger speakers, so they came and went when little people arrived on the seen (The wife thought they would fall over and hurt the little person and of course damage the speaker)

They were then replaced with kef eggs, but of course I now needed a bigger amp and it had to be 7.1, of course now I needed more speakers. The sound system had been upgraded so obviously I now needed another projector and screen.

In all this time, many, many dvd players came and went all costing stupid amounts of money (why can't you get a cheapy from Asda came the numerous cries, but what could those people know about this crazy hobby/obsession)

I then bought a plasma and to be honest its been great, but this damn forum had me itching for an upgrade.

I then was told I needed blu ray, after first of course dabbling in HD DVD (burnt again), so it had to be Pioneer (well they do look nice don't they !)

Obviously at this point the sensible thing to do was to stop looking, but my need to upgrade was too much. I had settled on a Panasonic G10 (50 inch), but along came the LG PS8000 and that seemed to good to be true, however like all nutcases on here I couldn't get passed the Pioneer.

I knew in my heart that I would always wonder, why didn't I push the boat out……….well now I have and after a 3 week wait and lots of pound notes later I am soon to be the proud owner of a 5090 and its coming today !

I'm getting excited like a kid in a toy shop, but I hope I'm not too disappointed, cos if I am I fear I will be on to wife number 3 as the current model will apply for a divorce and who can blame her.

There are clinics for people with addictions, but can you get admitted for an AV obsession…………

Please, please, please stop suggesting I need to upgrade, modify, enhance or anything else or I fear I'll always be chasing a dream that I can never achieve. Oh and of course tell me I'm not alone and that there are others who are perhaps even madder than me.

tis a slippery slope alright.i started of just looking for a good nicam vcr :rolleyes: stumbled across the "AVF" and next thing you know its multi region dvd player and plasmas :rotfl: then 1080p and blu ray :rotfl:

So - you've upgraded your electronics - several times in some cases, and your partner once.

Sounds to me like you need to build a dedicated AV room extension on your house; one which is optimised for sound dispersal and blackout conditions.

I don't have the room where I live now, so perhaps a new house is now on the cards to cater to my obsession.........where will it end :suicide:

So what would you rather spend it on booze and drugs.

All I need is my new TV, then multi region blu ray player and new speakers and amp. Then it is done.

Hey djh4000,

Saw this title and thought......HELP WAS NEEDED!:eek::eek:

FANTASTIC!.......you poor man and no!... you are not alone.

I have been purchasing AV products ever since April 1998, am very addicted to the Laserdisc format, from software to the hardware...I will say no more about this as I will go on and on...:boring::boring::boring::boring:

Purchased, or rather started to pay for the Pioneer PDP6080 last February-2008 (held in warehouse,) and in june 2008 the retailer swapped this for the current PDP6090...finally took delivery of this on about May 12th(booked time off especially for this) ''1-Week to be exact''. ...still have a small loan for this, but should be completed before the deffered 1st payment due by mid August 2009.

Then will hopefully be consentrating most of my efforts....after 4 yrs trying to complete this purchase of the Lexicon MC12B & LX7 amp....

Then my LD software 23 Titles and Hardware HLD X0 order reserved in Japan with a seller who has had much business from me over a period of about 3 1/2 yrs....

Senn HD800, BDP LX91, Headphone amp, 2 X AV support stands to order, wireworld cable order reserved with a seller in Michican US.......YOU ARE NOT ALONE my friend.....Oh! NO!! and speaker package to order in 2010 if all goes well..........plus watch this space (projector + screen,) house hold furnishings, wall/ceiling coving in 4 rooms......WILL THIS EVER END?.......I DAMN WELL HOPE SO!......

Is this any comfort to you........:suicide::eek::suicide::eek:

Genuine Regards

Last edited:
So what would you rather spend it on booze and drugs.

All I need is my new TV, then multi region blu ray player and new speakers and amp. Then it is done.

For a few months anyway.....:rotfl:

Hi derekn,

I am giggling inside ''with a hint of seriousness''.........a lot of us can deeply relate to each other....here.

For a few months anyway?

Why what's next? :confused::confused:

Sincere Regards

:smashin:

Last edited:
Thanks benmbe, I started my addiction around that time too, just as DVD was kicking off...... I still remember that first £600 panasonic player.

Now nearly 10 years later I'm thinking of updating my entire DVD collection to Blu-Ray, but thats just being stupid.......

Anyway I'm off now as the delivery bloke has just dropped off my new telly and I need to play :D

That screen wasn't big enough, so a projector came and went along with a 6ft manual screen. Of course now I needed bigger speakers, so they came and went when little people arrived on the seen (The wife thought they would fall over and hurt the little person and of course damage the speaker)

In all this time, many, many dvd players came and went all costing stupid amounts of money (why can't you get a cheapy from Asda came the numerous cries, but what could those people know about this crazy hobby/obsession)

I then was told I needed blu ray, after first of course dabbling in HD DVD (burnt again), so it had to be Pioneer (well they do look nice don't they !)

Obviously at this point the sensible thing to do was to stop looking, but my need to upgrade was too much. I had settled on a Panasonic G10 (50 inch), but along came the LG PS8000 and that seemed to good to be true, however like all nutcases on here I couldn't get passed the Pioneer.

I knew in my heart that I would always wonder, why didn't I push the boat out……….well now I have and after a 3 week wait and lots of pound notes later I am soon to be the proud owner of a 5090 and its coming today !

I'm getting excited like a kid in a toy shop, but I hope I'm not too disappointed, cos if I am I fear I will be on to wife number 3 as the current model will apply for a divorce and who can blame her.

Please, please, please stop suggesting I need to upgrade, modify, enhance or anything else or I fear I'll always be chasing a dream that I can never achieve. Oh and of course tell me I'm not alone and that there are others who are perhaps even madder than me.

What quality speaker cable and interconnects are you using? Do you have an all in one remote to ease the complicated way you have to change inputs on the numerous remotes just to watch sky or a movie? :rotfl:

I know how you feel, I joined looking for help on my TV and I've purchased lots since. But atleast my knowledge is better than the crappy staff at the local Currys, Dixons.

Damn it's so good that I over hear the sales banter and manage to talk the potential customer (taking them to the side) in avoiding purchasing the wrong TV, by advising the alternatives based on their requirements; tell them what the technology does in the TV and best price. :devil:

Last edited:
Make out your Will now to ensure your favourite bits go in the coffin with you.

lol, funny thread.
I'm hooked too, and yes, the remotes drive me crazy. :D............next project.

by the way it gets worse as the next stages are multiroom /whole house av distribution

Phil Hinton I think once posted asking something like 'how much money does this site (avforums) save you?'. Everyone responded it costs us more !
(He may have been expecting that response though. )

Thanks benmbe, I started my addiction around that time too, just as DVD was kicking off...... I still remember that first £600 panasonic player.

Now nearly 10 years later I'm thinking of updating my entire DVD collection to Blu-Ray, but thats just being stupid.......

Anyway I'm off now as the delivery bloke has just dropped off my new telly and I need to play :D

Panasonic A310 (US player by any chance?) same here:rolleyes:

My thought's are with you (with your new toy,) as I had this just over 2 weeks ago......and tinkered for about 24hrs, fitting the side speakers, menu settings, picture quality...WOW!....Droool...the 3D effects i.e picture depth whilst watching movies....Silver surfer HD DVD.....Glorious. :eek:

Well done and enjoy the fruits of your hard labour. :D

Sincere Regards

:beer:

Last edited:
Make out your Will now to ensure your favourite bits go in the coffin with you.

If he's to take all of his AV kit with him, then he just aswell have the coffin buried with an underground AV theater:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Poor lad...when djh4000 reads these replies he's going to be shocked by what one or two of us have written......but I expect he took this into cosideration before starting this post.

I can imagine djh4000 is very busy playing High Def on his new screen right now......good on you sir.....

Kindest regards

Last edited:
If he's to take all of his AV kit with him, then he just aswell have the coffin buried with an underground AV theater:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Poor lad...when djh4000 reads these replies he's going to be shocked by what one or two of us have written......but I expect he took this into cosideration before starting this post.

I can imagine djh4000 is very busy playing High Def on his new screen right now......good on you sir.....

Kindest regards

Mark

Hi guys, Im pretty new here and not yet completely assimilated. Then again, doesn't mean I'm clean tough.

I had a time when purchasing a TV was some kind of hobby for me. Also the getting rid of the TV once you noticed it is not what you imagined it to be (selling on ebay, or return the set).

Then I realised that the joy in it was not watching the TV in the end, it was more the act of purchase that gave the kick :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I am an enthusiast for picture and sound quality and strive for perfection.

It all started with us having an extemely well professional plasma TV. It broke due to its exorbitant power consumption. Since then I tried to replace that thing and never quite achieved it, since I hadn't sufficient funds to purchase an equivalent (the original TV was purchased by my father at good money).

I really started to make a loss on my TV balance. And decided this had to end. Now I bought a Panasonic professional plasma that is up to sniff.
The money I spent with my trial experiences would have easily weighed up for a top-end Pioneer anyhow.

So if I had read this forums in the first place, I could have saved us some money :clap:

Sincere understanding for all those lost souls

I have been purchasing AV products ever since April 1998, am very addicted to the Laserdisc format, from software to the hardware...I will say no more about this as I will go on and on...:boring::boring::boring::boring:k
Are you still buying? I would like to offload a whole load.

Panasonic A310 (US player by any chance?) same here:rolleyes:
Did yours last longer than the 3 month guarantee? Mine didn't, best remote ever though - Sony take note.

I knew in my heart that I would always wonder, why didn’t I push the boat out……….well now I have and after a 3 week wait and lots of pound notes later I am soon to be the proud owner of a 5090 and its coming today !

I’m getting excited like a kid in a toy shop, but I hope I’m not too disappointed, cos if I am I fear I will be on to wife number 3 as the current model will apply for a divorce and who can blame her.

I know exactly how you feel, my christmas day came yesterday and will go on for a lot longer yet. You certainly won't be disappointed, more like over the moon. I thought my 2 year old 427 was good, but the 5090 blew it out of the water. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

Are you still buying? I would like to offload a whole load.

Did yours last longer than the 3 month guarantee? Mine didn't, best remote ever though - Sony take note.

Hi figrin_dan,

Yes I am still buying LD's I will do for some time yet, but the good news is that most of the DOLBY DIGITAL & DTS titles that I wanted have been purchased.

Outstanding titles: DARK CITY DTS / ANOTHER U-571 AC-3 / ANOTHER TITAN A.E. AC-3 / ANOTHER THE 6TH DAY AC-3 in 6.1 .

I think that's about it for the later titles....

Panasonic 310 not very refined, clunky drawer, picture freezes, but the CD playback was fine.

My brother now has this player and it's still working fine...yuk I got fed up with it.:rotfl::rotfl:....yes remote control was ahaed of it's time.

Sincere Regards

:rotfl::hiya:

Last edited:
Your a marketing mans whore.

They say if you want to give up smoking then smoke something like 100 ciggies on the day you want to stop, that way you'll be that sick on the day you give up, you'll have had enough and you won't want to go back to smoking.

Hence, buy a PS3:).

Your a marketing mans whore.

They say if you want to give up smoking then smoke something like 100 ciggies on the day you want to stop, that way you'll be that sick on the day you give up, you'll have had enough and you won't want to go back to smoking.

Hence, buy a PS3:).

Maybe that's just me, but I don't really see your logic here :D

Hey djh4000,

I have been purchasing AV products ever since April 1998, am very addicted to the Laserdisc format, from software to the hardware...I will say no more about this as I will go on and on...:boring::boring::boring::boring:

Mark

I ve been looking up laserdisc. Since I am quite young and this seems to have been before my time.

Looks pretty darn cool tough. A huge disc carrying analogue video and multi-channel digital audio.
What more could one audio-/videophile ask for?

How do they compare versus 1080p video?
Guess they re hard to get?

I ve been looking up laserdisc. Since I am quite young and this seems to have been before my time.

Looks pretty darn cool tough. A huge disc carrying analogue video and multi-channel digital audio.
What more could one audio-/videophile ask for?

How do they compare versus 1080p video?
Guess they re hard to get?

Hi There,

Laserdisc's AC-3(DOLBY DIGITAL) & DTS sound is uncompressed sound, which is richer and the deepest bass delivery...compared to DVD is like chalk & cheese.

Jurassic park & Lost world DTS LD........FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CASPER DTS / SHADOW DTS / LOST IN SPACE....FANTASTIC!!
X-FILES MOVIE DTS......FANTASTIC!!

DTS LD'S approx 160 titles produced....and fairly easy to come by, although DARK CITY DTS IS VERY RARE.....

In other words Laserdisc knocks the spots off DVD for sound.

JAPAN PRODUCTION APPROX:37.500 TITLES.
USA PRODUCTION APPROX:17.800 TITLES. SOME WERE RE-RELEASED.
FROM 1995 ONWARDS PIONEER PRODUCED 3 1/4ths OF ALL LD'S, AS THEY PERFECTED THE PRODUCTION METHODS.

JAPANESE LD SOFTWARE was packaged far better, and materials used in production was also an improvement over the US versions in many cases.

Laserdisc titles are readily available through a number of reputable sellers on the major auction sites, and at any given time that I have checked over the last 3 yrs approx, there has been between 15.000 to 25.000 for sale.

Picture wise DVD is slighly better ''but then again who's comparing'' not me! as I just love this fine format through & through.

In Japan from 1995 onwards until about 2001 they produced HiDef Muse LD players that can play 1080 res MUSE laserdisc's, of which about 170 approx titles were made.

I have an HLD X9 MUSE player, as well as an HLD X0 reserved with a reputable seller in Japan, which will be fully serviced by Pioneer JP before shipment.

I have also been purchasing Service manuals for all of my players, as I have a Pioneer service engineer who lives about 3 miles from me, who will service my DVL 909 when I am ready,.....he is also still using his player and loves the format.

The MUSE titles are expensive and not easy to come by, as they only produced about 500 of each title approx.

LD in a number of ways was ahead of it's time, and if it wasn't for Pioneer theformat would never have lasted as long as it did, with production that has only within the last year finished.

Servicing these player will continue for many years to come, so no worries there, and I will be purchasing spare parts for the HLD X9 and hopefully the X0(which are more expensive.)

Anyway great format and long may is last.

Good to hear from you

Genuine & Honest Regards

:hiya::clap::smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom