1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn SONY DX100.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zcaps57, Jun 16, 2002.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a SONY KD-32DX100 delivered on Friday.
    It looked "new". (no scratch, no dust on screen at all. And manual & remote were sealed in a plastic bag.)

Well.... the unit had a bit of geometry problem. (I tested with AVIA.) So I went into service mode to to fix the geometry.
    The timer was at 114 hours. :(

If this timer counts testing/setting/optimising in a factory, I wouldn't worry about it.
    If I didn't see the timer, I wouldn't doubt for a second at all. The unit looks that new.

Oh, BTW I fixed the geometry problem. It isn't 100% perfect, but very good for CRT. I can't expect 100% perfection from CRT anyway.

Anyway... could anyone comment/advise on the timer please ?
    I'm not sure if I should exchange it. :(

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it works and looks fine with the geometry sorted, don't risk exchanging it for one that might have more problems...

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    zcaps57,

I too bought a DX100 and wasn't 100% happy with geometry. After having it a few days I went into the service mode. I checked the timer and found it reading 100+ hours. I had to estimate, having already been running the set myself, but guessed it must have been arround 110 hours.

Had the set exchanged. Checked its timer before even tuning in and found 112hours 35 min. Make of that what you will.

What date is on your service menu? Mine is 5 March 2002.

What items did you adjust to improve geometry?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony KV28LS60 had a service time of zero when it was delivered (I checked it within 30 minutes of turning it on for the first time).

Before that I went through 2 Philips sets (28PW6515s) and they both had a service time of approx 100 hours (I can't remember exactly now, but it was definitely not zero).

Weird. :rolleyes:

Maybe factory setup is included on some sets (including firmware upgrades perhaps). As the LS60 is a newer model, maybe they reset it after setup... who knows :confused:

Have to agree with Big Jim though. If everything else is okay, 100 hours isn't so bad to deal with.

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Given that these timers on both our DX100's (inc my replacement) were arround 100 hours, suggests it is likely due to testing, rather than previous owner. I feel quite confident in this.

6. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    !00 hrs of testing ???? At this rate, SUK will need a factory covering half of Wales !!!:confused:

fwan

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100 hrs might include a "run-in" time as well though?

8. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I hadn't thought of it like that. Yeah, imagine all the sets comming off the production line and each one is hanging around for 100 hrs before it can be boxed.

Mind you, if it had been tested for 100+ hours, you'd think they'd get the geometry spot on.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    100 hours (irrespective of how it was caused) is nothing significant.

Of much greater significance is the geometry and other artefacts of the picture. If yours is good (ie - to your satisfaction) then keep it.

10. steaming g.

steaming g.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG - just bought a KV32LS60 (v. happy so far).

Where in the menu can I find out how long the set's been running? Had a quick look but no success. :confused:

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in the service menu, not the user menu. You have to enter service mode, and then it's under the last service menu item ("error" something or other) ;)

12. steaming g.

steaming g.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel

Call me stupid but how do I enter the service mode?? :clown:

Thanks

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put the TV into standby.

Then press the following on the remote:

i+
    volume +
    TV (just under the red teletext button)

The TV will come on and you will be in service mode. Press the MENU button on the remote to display the service mode menu. The last option in the list is "Error" something or other. Highlight that and then press "-->" on the remote to display the list of errors and the total service time.

Press MENU to get back to the menu.

To exit service mode, just turn off the TV from the remote (i.e. put it back into standby).

If you haven't been into service mode before then... note that you go into service mode at your own risk. Be VERY careful - one false move and you could screw your TV up!

14. Marvinius

Marvinius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All,

some of you may remember my posts from 'fq 75 scrolling bar fame'. i was one of the 'lucky' recipients of a replacement dx100 18 months ago, (which by the way had exactly the same fault but no where near as bad as the fq..i decided to olive with it. 18 months on and the damn thing has died on me! completely and utterly dead! i am on a colling down period, and will be speaking to my good friends SUK tomorrow....anyone else experienced the same? BTW Fwan what was your outcome in the end?

Marvinius

15. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ageing time is measured separately.