1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn Panasonics - Grrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rooster_nch, Aug 17, 2005.

1. rooster_nch

rooster_nch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I was overjoyed, got my first Panny TX32PD50, lovely picture, except for the convergence problems, whit text on black had a terrible blue or red aura....so...off that went to a Panasonic dealer to be repaired... ( the supplier had no more Panny's to swap out)

2 Months later..TV back..same problem...

Sourced another Panny PD50 from KRISH - Cracked screen, off that went back..

Sourced another from jibelectrical.co.uk - arrived today, much unpacking etc, got it into place, all connected up...guess what.....duff display again, all out of focus in the centre of the screen..

ARRRGGHHHHH - Why can't I just get a nice 32 - 36 widescreen TV that actually works?

Now looking at the Toshiba 32ZP48P which I have seen on EmpireDirect at £789.99

Any suggestions, I have about £750 to use up and would love my TV back in the corner of the room, 4 months is soooooooooooooo long.....

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thing is, its not just Panasonics that have problems. All mass produced Items such as TVs seem to have really bad quality controll these days. It jsut seems like luck of the draw as to what you get when you unpack the thing and plug it in.

3. rooster_nch

rooster_nch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, jibelectrical.co.uk have been great, took me through the Panasonic TX32PD50 self test ( I'll post this at the end so you can do them yourselves if you think you need too)

The upshot being, they are sending me out yet another Panny PD50 tomorrow but this one I have asked to be rigourously tested before it gets shipped out, so basically I'm hoping tomorrow to have S*** HOT Panny all ready to go.

PANASONIC TX32PD50 SELF TEST

Open Front Flap on TV

PRESS F Button so that the Volume Bar is shown

When this is visible, press the -VE key on the TV front panel at the same time, there is a button on the remote control, just below the arrow/cursor buttons at the top that looks like a TV with a + symbol on it, press this at the same time as you press the -VE button and your Panny should go into a self test.

You should be able to see if there are any errors reported. Meant nothing to me but may do to some of you more Tech guys out there.

To finalise the test, switch the TV off with the Front Power Button then back on again.

:lesson: WARNING: This will initiate an AUTO TUNE just in case you have set up some of your channels manually.

Hope this helps someone. :thumbsup:

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for the Self test procedure. I'll try that tonight... get a feeling it will mean nowt tho'!

Hope you finally get a good panny. Think mine is great.... with exceptions. :oops:
    Have a enginner poping over at weekend to look at black line flickering (faint background lines). I'm hoping he/she sees the fault as I do and has a cure!. The lady I spoke to was trying to fob me off saying it was the connected equipment (which it aint)... but then what does a telephone person really know? I'll be furious if the engineer says it's ok. I still have my old TV to prove a point in the event of such a situation.

5. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on per-sony-fied. Our PD50 is going back as the black bars are doing my head in and I can't live with the thought of spending that much on a TV and knowing that RGB SCART is cr*p.

Shame because it's a stunner of a TV otherwise :(

6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    See my other post regarding black line flickering and Scart leads (Your post, Hz flickering) I may have found a cure!

So just how bad are you black bars? Mine are faint and only noticable under certain conditions.

I have to say RGB on mine looks good (I dunno if great is the word) and better than S-Video so must be good. Much better saturated colours and sharper image. With my old Sony it was difficult to tell the difference between RGB and S-Video! Possible that S-vid was that good!

7. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty faint, enough that the missus didn't notice until I pointed it out. But you know what it's like, once you notice something you can't stop staring at it! :rolleyes:

RGB from the Sky+ box is unwatchable. In RGB mode, everytime you go between Sky menus the entire screen contrast/colour shifts. If you're watching TV in RGB you can see the same effect when the scene changes.

Composite mode looks gorgeous though :confused:

8. rooster_nch

rooster_nch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I got my new Panny....

Picture is ok, still got red bleed on some of the white text on black but thats just part of the norm I guess.

Ive had some new scart leads but to be brutally honest the picture from SKY ( TEXT MENU) is pretty rubbish, seems very..how can I put it... As if the contrast and sgarpness is too high, even when reduced the text seems to merge a little, but not to the extent of being fuzzy. I'd have expected it to be pin sharp. I'd really expect a pin sharp picture from this top line TV.

It's like the picture is being saturated with signal or colour, but if the colour is taken dowm it still seems like you get overlap between text and background, does this make sense?

Also, when i switch the picture settings on my SKY box from RGB to PAL I see no noticeable difference. In actual fact, I get abetter picture just from the aerial.

I did use these scart cables though, but they worked fine on my JVC, picture was excellent.

EBAY METAL - SCART CABLE

Anyone suggest a cheap place for decent scart cables?

I did find some more at:

EBAY - SCART CABLES

Seeing as there are a lot of TX32PD50 users out there, does anyone have a guide to settings they have used to get the best quality picture? Be interested to see what changes to settings people have made.

9. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have noticed this with Freeview epg but in this occasion the text when NOT highlighted does appear much sharper than the Sony it replaces. Text originally looked very blurred and letters merged into each other when highlited but for some reason a few weeks have now past since ownership and they are now actually legible!
    Yes I see where your coming from, it does seem like there is just so much colour that it needs turning down to a minimum.

Normally you need to adjust the Scart i/p's too to select the right i/p to notice a difference, they MUST match and MUST use the right Scart i/p.
    2 are set-up for RGB and S-Video,1 of which (AV4) also does composite,1 just Composite only and the other S-video and Composite. They do not auto switch to the setting on your box.

I noticed this phenomenon with my Sony where S-Vid/RGB and PAL all looked the same from my Freeview box when using the RGB enabled scart. Slightly inferior from S-Vid scart.

I must admit the analogue reception is quite remarkable and only let down by some noisy analogue effects which is probably purely down to a composite signal.

I doubt scarts will make a huge difference at all as long as they are well screened which will reduce external interference and possible crosstalk between internal cables.

FWIW I use QED scarts but the difference from a throw in the box scart is not startling.

Still very much playing with mine it certainly doesn't seem to have the even colour balance throughout scenes that I loved my Sony for, but it does have better sharpness and greater clarity with much less shiny glare!

In general tho' Warm mode is out as is Cinema and Dynamic, personal preference mode (normal) as usual is the setting to use. I have colour at about 40%, brightness around 55% and contrast around 70% however adjustment of some sort is normally made everyday!

10. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just need to clear something up for everyone as I keep seeing references to it everywhere.
    The CINEMA , DYNAMIC, & NORMAL modes are all set up at the factory.
    They are in themselves just names. They have no special picture enhancing qualities.
    I.E If you change the settings in them so they all mirror each other then they would all produce the exact same picture.
    I tend to set one up for daytime viewing when there is more natural light in the room so less contrast is needed.
    One for night time viewing when the contrast does not need to be so high.
    One for watching DVD's which again benefits from minor adjustments.
    Hope that helps.

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

12. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say, our PD50 seems to be fixing itself! The black bars are hugely reduced and the RGB support seems to be getting better. :confused:

Seriously considering keeping it now!

13. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yes this TV seems to have a mind of it's own. Some form of intelligence doing what it wants!

I've never known a TV needing time to settle to show of it's capabilities but this TV looks like it does.

However switched on this morning and noticed those nasty black lines on one scene briefly :( Gonna thoroughly check out my scart lead today. Maybe a pin is not connecting properly for some odd reason, I dunno can't fathom it out... set just seems to sensitive.

I've also noticed that it shows up digital artefacts much much more than ye old Sony, don't know if this is because the picture is much more sharper and clear or if it's because the scren size is bigger?

14. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I believe it's cured :D :clap: :D

I took apart what I thought was the offending scart lead, thoroughly checked, cleaned and reasembled... result? errr.... the same!

Tried a *giveaway* scart lead (remarkably similiar results to QED :( ) same result.

Tried the shortest 0.5M QED scart again just to verify there was an improvement but hey I've just proven there isn't!

In desperation I then hooked up my Humax PVR. WOW gosh golly, absolute no sign of flickering bars whatsoever. Unfortunately the pic looked somewhat white washed and with less bold colours with text looking a tad smudged in comparison to the Sony (It's not as good but looks like the Panny highlights the differences)

Re-connected Sony STB and back to normal condition :( . Hmm bliddy hell, thought surely it can't be faulty my beloved Sony. Started scratching head and then realised it's possible that it may be over loaded from the Aerial Amplifier or possibly injecting noise into the box that the Humax tolerates and/or provides better noise rejection.

So out went the aerial amp and straight feed from aerial.... result.... much the same. Oh dear, now looking rather depressing. In custers last stand I did a lock-up reset on the Sony box (was actually looking for a total reset) and hey presto I --think-- I have RGB heaven :clap: :clap: :D .

OF course if the condition changes or is not as expected I will report back.

15. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, gave in last night and nipped over to Makro to take advantage of the Tosh 32ZP48 offer (499+vat).

As far as build quality goes the PD50 wins hands down. The Tosh case is quite "plasticky" and I immediately missed the built-in handles on the Panny!

But, no flickering black lines, no incessant buzzing, no god-awful RGB issues. Finally my eyes are happy!

Sorry Panasonic, you could've made a fantastic TV with the PD50, shame you c*cked it up :(

16. Bussta

Bussta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you noticed how washed out the whites seem to be on the set? - I have a crappy scart coming in from a doubly crappy Ariel reception, but I really notice the lighting ontop of peoples heads. The contrast seems to be really high aswell everytime that I turn it on, but I am going to wait until I get Homechoice so I have a 'stable' signal to try it out on. It does bug me that it seemks to look like one of those crappy LCD sets you see in Curry's - I'm hoping it's the signal - have bought some gold plated scart leads too to replace the old one I have.

Generally would you say that Scart is the best option for DVD playback, I havn't got a clue what S-Video, composiote e.c.t are although I know this set can get them.

17. Bussta

Bussta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you noticed how washed out the whites seem to be on the set? - I have a crappy scart coming in from a doubly crappy Ariel reception, but I really notice the lighting ontop of peoples heads. The contrast seems to be really high aswell everytime that I turn it on, but I am going to wait until I get Homechoice so I have a 'stable' signal to try it out on. It does bug me that it seemks to look like one of those crappy LCD sets you see in Curry's - I'm hoping it's the signal - have bought some gold plated scart leads too to replace the old one I have.

Generally would you say that Scart is the best option for DVD playback, I havn't got a clue what S-Video, composiote e.c.t are although I know this set can get them.

18. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Sorry to hear that you've been unable to solve your problem petencl but I confirm that the line issue is solved completly with 2 STB resets. It now looks as good as I expect the Sony to.

I've not heard any incessant buzzing from mine as you put it. Unless you stick yer head around the back of the set.

As regards the Tosh I noticed all these build issues using some low grade plastics. In particular the On/Off switch is very poor. 1 issue that swayed me towards the Panny instead.

So unless my Panny goes tits up in the next week or so I'll be keeping it.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

19. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yes with over head lighting it does look far to much emphasized, I'm hoping this will *dampen* down with more use or otherwise be able to make some white adjustment in the service menu.

For DVD playback the Component i/p is the best if you player supports it. The colours will be more vibrant and vivid and with a decent lead you should get greater 3D imagery.

Failure of your player to support above RGB is certainly the next best option for this set as S-Video is noticeably different. A new Scart lead wont make great inroads to the viewed picture unless the one you are using is really poor. Gold connections certainly wont benefit it at all.

20. Bussta

Bussta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Per-Sony-fied, am changing my dvd player to a new one with Component Progressive scan, I'll probably use the new Scart for the Homechoice connection to get the best out of it unless it's got s-video out or something similiar.

:thumbsup:

21. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I see an instant difference the second I change them, RGB is crystal clear sharp and PAL is all fuzzy around the letters. On my Pace Sky box though its actually the lower Scart2 which is RGB, the other scart doesnt work with RGB so check to see if you have any other scart sockets and try and use one of them.