1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn Panasonic i hate you

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bigfinger, Oct 18, 2005.

1. bigfinger

bigfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i thought i had made my mind up after much deliberation, and waiting another month to save up the extra cash i though i would come back off holiday and get myself a nice 42"PV500

Then what happens ? they launch a PHD8 while im away ! i cant make head or tail of all this plugin board stuff, what board i would need etc etc and also at the end of the day is it a better set that the PV500 ?

so does anyone know if its worth the hassle of choosing the boards, if so has someone done an idiots guide to which board is for what. or should i just get the PV500

ill be mainly watching sky HD, dvds, and inputing signals from my pc and PS2

any and all help apreciated tia. :lease:

2. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Firstly probably best to post this question in the Plasma forum. Having just bought a PHD8 can highly recommend it. The input boards are not rocket science. Basically you've got 3 slots in the 42" PHD8 and you can put pretty much whatever boards you want in there depending on what kit you've got and what connections you use. It comes with a VGA interface which is in addition to the 3 slots and that can be used for a component signal too.

So for Sky HD you should get an HDMI board, for DVD's it depends what connection you use from your player, same goes for PS2 and the PC can use the VGA port. So if your DVD player has say a Scart interface, buy the Scart board for the plasma. Best connection for the PS2 is a component cable, if you go down this route get the component board for the plasma. The PHD8 is just far more flexible than the PV500 which has a fixed set of interfaces. Also bear in mind the panel has no built in speakers so worth considering that if you've not got an amp and separate speakers.

3. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i decided against the phd8 as i couldnt be bothered with the hassle with boards cause all in it would have been alot more expensive. With the pv500 you just plug it in and away you go, thats what me and my wife wanted. The PHD8 does have a better picture but probably not enough for me to notice it. I dont regret my purchase 1 bit, when you see HD on the pv500 youll know what i mean!!!

4. bigfinger

bigfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for you replys... i had thought that as this was the HD forum and these were HD tv's it was the right place but you may be right ill see if i can get a mod to move the post for me.

does anyone know of a UK stockist where i could see these 2 together at all ?