1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn....now the aspect ratio's gone wonky

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by terrythecat, Jul 21, 2002.

1. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone, over the last week I have played numeruos DVD's on the PC and thank's to the new MoBo it's been lovely and stable. However, on friday night I thought the aspect ratio looked a bit weird when I had the PC on for just a few minutes, but didn't think much about it and went to bed. Yesterday I rented a copy of ' The usual suspects ' and it didn't look right size wise. It's a 2,35:1 presentation so on the 7ft screen it should have been the 80in width by about 34in height. It wasn't. It was only 27in high. After the film finished I put in my copy of ' The Shawshank redemption ' which is 16x9 so the picture height should have been about 45in. It was only 34in. This morning I took my old Panasonic 360 into the room and connected it to the Barco via a S-Video lead. The picture was obviously pants but although the projector hasn't been set up properly for that input the image was approx the right size, so it's not the projector. We haven't done anything to the PC since the beginning of the week when it was a 'bare bones' installation. None of the usual programs have
    yet been re-installed, not even YXY, so what's going on. I assume it's something to do with the Radeon VE but why should it change just like that. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Terry

A wise China man once say "Home Cinema pain in butt".

God knows why I'm cracking jokes! I've pulled all me hair out and now I'm on Prozac.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    Hi Terry,

What dvd player software are you using?

I take it your not using powerstrip or anything else yet?

Sometimes if 'lock aspect ratio' isn't ticked in WinDVD you can get strange things like this happen with the aspect ratio.

Gary.

3. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gary

I think we'd better clear out the spare room for you.

We are using PowerDVD 4. Powerstrip hasn't been re-installed yet. Still pretty basic. We will add programs one by one to check the PC remains stable. Will have a look within PowerDVD to see if there's a similiar 'lock aspect ratio' but we haven't made any changes to it recently.

All the best

Terry

4. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gary, back on track.

PowerDVD has a 'keep aspect ratio' which was enabled. Don't know why. Must have auto reset during the rebuild and the one film (rented) we actually watched last sunday, instead of just running films through, must have been 16x9 which I thought was 2,35:1. Time to relax.

Cheers

Terry