1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn Local Paper

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mr jones, May 30, 2005.

1. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I found one of my images in a local rag on friday, used without my permission or payment.

obviously im taking neccesary action

ill keep you posted how i get on as the c*nts shouldnt be allowed to get away with this kinda stuff :nono:

it was an image that had previously been submitted by me for a specific article, under the impression i would get my website address creditted on the image, this did not happen. they've added the image to there picture archieve and now believe they can do what they want with it, which is not the case, therefore i shall be invoicing the paper for the cost of the image (according to NUJ guidelines) as well as an aditional fee for use without permission. :lesson:

2. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Good for you. Of course it could be a simple mistake, but you should still be given credit for the image.

Out of interest, does the size of audience affect the value - I've no idea about NUJ guidelines.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it the paper your pal works for Jamie, is there nothing he can do?

4. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    yep its the paper she works for, aparently she expressely told the picture desk to remove my pictures (after last time when i didnt get the credit with the photo) this time they appear to have made a simple mistake, credit for the photo cant be given as the image has gone to print. therefore im going for what is rightfully mine, i.e the money. even if they refuse to pay they've breached my copyright and ill take them to small claims court. simple. mistakes do happen hence why im being nice, ive billed them for less than the NUJ recommend in such cercumstances.

tomato1 - yep the size of the image and its location in the paper (i.e front cover/ standard page) as well as the type of publication (e.g local rag, national paper, magazine etc) all has an effect on the price of the picture. that said local rags generally wont pay you for an image (therefore they're getting something for nothing, cheeky ****s!)

http://media.gn.apc.org/feesguide/photo.html

5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a positive note, at least they thought your shot worthy enought to print :rolleyes:

6. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A full page appology might help...but cash works everytime!!..I hope that you get some kind of recognition for your work.

7. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    im fairly certain that im going to get a reply back somehting along the lines of..

either saying "it is not our policy to pay non staff contributing photographers" - and??? so what? if you cant stump up the cash, you dont use my image, ok?, however its too late for that and ill persue this through small claims court to get fair reward.

or

"we dont believe this is your image" - bullsh*t! its my image alright, i have copys of the email in which i sent that exact image to you :clap:

plebs the lot of them

we shall wait and see