1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged tweeters

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bob1, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My little nephew killed the tweeters on my tannoy r2's today :mad: Anybody had to change any? are replacment tweeters easy to get hold of and how much would i expect to pay,might it be an insurance job?.:suicide:Only had them a few months.:mad:

2. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you go to www.tannoy.com you can send an e-mail and they will give you a quote for the tweeters.

One of my friends recently got a new bass cone for his R3's which was about £38 including delivery.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks, did he get the speaker from tannoy or through a dealer? I have already sent tannoy an email but know doubt it will be next week before I get a reply. I’m expecting a least £50-£60 but I suppose they could charge what they like.I'm still :mad: after a night sleep.:mad:

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    In my experience a telephone call works wonders. When I needed a new tweeter for my Celestion A1's I phoned them and they were most helpful.

As far as fixing, I'm not familiar with the Tannoy but on the A1's it was a simple case of an allen key and pushing on 2 spade connectors.

If you do attempt this yourself be aware that the strong magnets in the tweeter could attract your allen key with could potentially damage the replacement tweeters your trying to fit.

Also, I'm sure this goes without saying but make sure you can tell which connector went where.

Mark.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    He got his R3's online, after ordering the replacement cone it was delivered within 2 days.

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I tried to phone but no answer just cut off.Anyway with nothing to loose i did the old trick with the hoover and it did pull them back out just a slight mark on one of them,they seem to sound the same anyway.I wait and see what tannoy say when i ring on Monday.

7. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I've got a pair of 12 year old Tannoy M15 and have replaced both tweeters (dimpled) direct from Tannoy. Cost all in about £28 each.
    Easy to remove old tweeter and replace with new ones (just remember to mark the polarities because it isn't clear from the back of the tweeter itself).
    Tannoy continue to have spare parts for their speakers for about 30-40 years or so i think

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Had a reply from tannoy.
    We can supply spare part 7900 0540, R2 tweeter, cost £33.41+ vat each.