1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

damaged tweeters on celestion 3 mkIIs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by frazer, May 9, 2005.

1. frazer

frazer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a pair of Celestion 3 MkIIs on eBay, both of which have dents in the metal tweeters. On testing them, one seems fine, but the other makes a terrible crackling noise- rather like a badly tuned radio- on louder, higher pitched passages; particularly noticable, for instance, in the sustained top notes of the soprano voice (I mainly listen to classical music!).

Given that both speakers seem equally dented, yet only one has this problem, is it likely that these dents are the cause? If so, is it advisable simply to push them out again- the metal is very pliable- or would they need replacing?

Thank you very much for any advice,

Frazer

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    There is a thread where a member had a similar problem and popped the dents out. Try it on the crackling one first, if it solves the problem then great if not, then you've lost nothing and the investgation must go further. If its easy to do, try swapping the tweeters in each unit around and if the same loud speaker is crackling with the new tweeter its the crossover, if the other one crackles then its the tweeter.

Kef and Celestion have a joint spares system, so if you do need a replacement just contact kef and explain what you want, I've dealt with them in the past and they were brilliant.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think it's definitely worth getting a quote for replacement parts, the swapover should be really easy and then you'll know that you're definitely getting the best from them. :)

4. frazer

frazer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the replies.

I must admit I suspect that the dents won't be the cause of problem (despite what I was told in a repair shop), as the nature of the interference to the sound is not what I would expect, and nobody else with similarly damaged tweeters has reported such an obvious reduction in sound quality. But then I'm no expert at all, so it is probably worth having a go at fixing the dents, if I have nothing to lose, and replacements would not be too expensive anyway.

I presume fixing problems with the crossover would be harder, or could it just be a question of dodgy wiring?

Thanks again,

Frazer