Damaged speaker cable: Could 2 speakers be wired to AVR via 2+ but 1- ?

Pistou

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have two ceiling speakers (in a bedroom). Unfortunately it appears that one speakercable has been damaged somewhere along the route during the renovation works ofmy flat. The speaker itself has been tested by the installer and works fine. Soit looks as something has either cut partially the cable or a screw/nail hasbeen put inside. It is not possible to determine where the cable has beendamaged as it goes a long way through walls/ceiling. However only one conductorof the speaker cable has been damaged.

Could I bypass the damaged conductor by using the undamaged conductor for thepositive and then wire the negative connector of this speaker to the otherceiling speaker (which speaker cable is not damaged) so to as to share itsnegative conductor? Hence there will be 2 positive conductors for each speaker,but one shared negative conductor. Could I still get Stereo audio? Will the AVRnegative connector be overloaded? Is there a piece of equipment to be used topotentially solve this problem?

For reference, the AVR is a Yamaha RX-V373.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Pistou

that is a possibility and will work in some cases.

two things to consider though

1) Not all amplifiers have truly positive and negative terminals to drive speakers.
Whilst most amplifiers share the negative terminal some don't and are what we call a bridged configuration.

2) The offending screw or whatever has cut the cable may be grounding the good conductor somewhere.

However both scenarios can be worked around so if you need further help I will advise you how to determine
the status of the surviving conductor and the amplifier you intend to use.

Steve

As per Steve's advice. I would expect an AV receiver to be a BTL design in which case this will not be possible.

You can determine the approximate fail point of the cable using an accurate multimeter (sometimes referred to as a millohmeter or micro-ohmeter) - measure resistance at each end, add together and work out the %age along the cable where the short is.

The RX-V373 will not support a 4ohm load on the zone2 (which I presume is the application?), so your options are either re-wire it or run the speakers in series for a 16ohm load and accept the reduced power output. Or, as steve is implying, buy another amplifier which is single ended rather than BTL.

HTH
Chris

All good advice from Chris, as usual his posts always enhance mine.

Seems like a bromance is blossoming guys :devil:

Chris, I'll talk you round to my way of thinking during our next pillow talk :)

Last edited:
Chris, kudos for great social responsibility, please don't go near Steve's pillows, it's dangerous territory, above and beyond what's expected. :laugh:

"please don't go near Steve's pillows"
what's he going to bite then?

Ok you asked for it :D

Last edited:
Guys,

Can we please keep this thread on topic _ you've got you're own private forum for pillow talk.

Thanks,

Brian

I'm hooked up to a 24hr blood pressure monitor until 16:00 today and these Bromance images are increasing my anxiety levels!

Please stop I beg you :lease:

'Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines'
- Airplane! 1980

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom