Question Damaged KEF LS50... How serious will it affect them?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by tobiahtayo, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM.

1. tobiahtayo

tobiahtayo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi. Thanks for your help in advance.

I bought these speakers on ebay. They were described as having signs of wear... I am quite unhappy with the overall condition - far worse than described.
    I asked about the tweeters and they said they were all 100% which is clearly not true..

I plugged them in and liked the sound but I'm after opinions how much this damage would affect the sound from the unit and whether I should just return them....

If I did keep them how much would be fair value on them?

IMG_7670.JPG IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7673.JPG IMG_7674.JPG IMG_7675.JPG IMG_7676.JPG IMG_7679.JPG IMG_7680.JPG IMG_7681.JPG IMG_7682.JPG

Thanks for your help.

2. IvanDobskey

IvanDobskey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have to say they do look a little scruffy :(

However, I don't think they are badly damaged enough to seriously affect the sound in an adverse way.

I guess it all depends on how much you paid for them and if you are happy with the sound.

Personally, unless they were a real bargain price, I'd send them back. But then i'm a little bit anal when it comes to aesthetic condition of things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:44 PM
  3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Ok. They are scruffy. ..that's not a crime and showing "signs of wear " ,is a fair description. The dunt ,dint I see is in the woofer part not the tweeter, so that statement was also correct. ..but as with Ivan above, it really depends on whether you want them for music or show,and particularly how much below list price you paid...
    If I had paid list, I would expect pristine, if I had paid 25% of list, then fair value... If I had paid 10% ,,I would be laughing, and looking up the Contact Vinyls shelf in a B&Q ,to see about covering the blemishes . ..An alternative might be a nice loose tweed cloth covering as B&O are putting on their premium products.

4. tobiahtayo

tobiahtayo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the input. If I came to sell them - how much would you expect to be the price?

5. IvanDobskey

IvanDobskey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think these are £800 speakers brand new? They are extremely good speakers no doubt about it.

But in that condition, you may find them a little tricky to sell for anything like true value.

I'd say if I'd paid any more than £250, I'd feel a bit aggrieved. You expect a few marks and signs of wear and tear on second hand items, but those are very tatty.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    From what I can tell, the worst of the cosmetic damage is on the bottom, is that right? As a buyer this wouldn't worry me too much but I think any seller should go into detail about any marks or damage that is visible from anything other than close up. Looks like a small chunk chipped out of the top of one of them. I wouldn't accept that as 'signs of wear' and would have expected it to be mentioned and pictured before buying so I don't think it's unreasonable to be renegotiating price.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I just saw the ebay listing. Looking at the pics the seller posted and the very short description, my feeling is he did the bare minimum to try and avoid someone saying not as described rather than trying to highlight any problems so the buyer knows exactly what he's getting. I'm not sure I would have spotted the driver damage if I had been looking at buying them.

I think you should base any partial refund on how much they are worth to you though rather than what is reasonable as ebay will come down on your side anyway if you want to return for a full refund. If you really want them and are happy to live with the damage then 65 quid seems a reasonable discount, based on what you paid. On the other hand, if you are really unsure about them, worried about potential resale value etc then ask for more and simply return them if the seller isn't happy.

8. IvanDobskey

IvanDobskey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I just checked out the eBay listing too. They definitely look worse in the pictures in this thread than on eBay. Seller has not made it clear the exact condition these were in if you ask me.

I'd send them back personally, they aren't worth what you paid in that condition.

That said, I'm sure they still sound great and it's just cosmetic. Up to you really.

9. tobiahtayo

tobiahtayo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks everyone - back they will go unless seller offers a sizeable refund..
    I'd rather wait for some to go for 450 - 500 that are mint...

10. MikeHoy

MikeHoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Let me know if you send them back, I have a pair that I am thinking of selling via this forum. I will post accordingly in the classifieds.

11. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
  12. tobiahtayo

tobiahtayo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Was trying to gauge if I did want to sell them in future would there be interest with this level of damage.