Damaged dish - advice?

Mmarkeh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone share some advice please,

So I bought an 80cm motorised dish install kit from a marketplace seller on amazon. I received it really quickly and everything seemed fine, however the dish itself has a big deformity, i'd say around the size of a diner plate.

I'm not sure if it happened in transport or not - its hard to see just how mishapen the area is but have a look at the picture and you'll see what i mean:

http://imgur.com/KYqPNl&lf6NY

(2 images)

I contacted the seller and they seem nice enough, his response was that this won't effect the dishes performance and 'he guarantees' it will work fine.

I'm pretty new to this and after googling about it seems some people say dents and stuff are alright especially around the edges yet others seem to say they have a lot of effect.

Its pretty central on the dish, so should I insist on a replacement? Or try it and make more of a fuss if there are any problems?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

It's should be ok! unless you are planning to watch nilesat that's it a pain with large dishes too. Don't worry mate

You payed for a new dish so it should get to you in perfect condition!

Send it back seriously! :)

so if there were a compromise to be had - e.g. 20% discount to keep the dish, would you take it?

You want your dish to be as near 100% as possible- The tolerance on a dish face at KU band we aim for on installations is.... zero or 0.5mm max as a good rule to stick to, although an outage of about 4 times that can still get in the LNB- above that and it isn't going in the LNB- something else is. That big dent will mask the fact that it will be out elsewhere.

You not only lose signal from the satellite you are pointed at, you are also then allowing noise from all over the place to get in .... such as unwanted signals from other satellites (especially on the same tps), solar & ground noise, & any local noise etc...

Although hard to tell from a photo, it doesn't look that rigid either so it could bend in moderate to high wind anyway.

What make is it... ?

We could probably turn up with a sky z1 & beat it on most sats for signal to noise. The remaining true areas should still pull in more than a sky z1 on weaker sats (& it's narrower beam width). It is most likely performing overall more roughly like a decent 65-70cm on signal alone (not noise level). You can get a lot out of a 60cm or a sky z1 so that usually impresses a lot without realising what yuo should get out of a dish of a certain size.

If, as we so often do nowadays, turn up at a customers' & they have a bent dish- if it will easily, we just straighten them back up - rim to rim is easier - dents in the middle not so, but usually get them back to within 10-20% of what they should do just on site without taking them back to the workshop- it's actually easier if they are thin.... and then strengthen them up if they need it.

-------------------------

Try to negotiate what you can... is the motor etc.. OK?

I'd try to swap it for a new Triax 78 or 88- especially where you are on the edge of so many footprints.... or better a 1m Orbital (steel) or Triax 1.1 if you can & the motor is OK and it's not exposed to high winds.

Last edited:
The seller is trying to fool you, demand a new one or hang him out on this forum.

That dish is scrap as the dents are in the most sensitive area of the dish.

Just get a new one or exchange it.

If that was supposed to be a new kit - give it them back- I thought you got it used off Amazon..

That dish actually looks a lot like a Triax- that has been badly damaged if that is the case & I wouldn't want to try to straighten it - they are tough dishes.

If that was supposed to be a new kit - give it them back- I thought you got it used off Amazon..

That dish actually looks a lot like a Triax- that has been badly damaged if that is the case & I wouldn't want to try to straighten it - they are tough dishes.

It also looks like a Orbital brand dish (My fathers sheltered housing complex has a SMATV system feed with a 80cm Orbital), but from what I can remember the screws that hold the dish face on the frame are matching Black, not self coloured Silver:confused:. Anyway back to the o.p. if you paid for a new dish thats what you should have got:mad:, get it back to them mate, if they get shirty you will know not to deal with them again at the very least.;)

It does look like an "Orbital". If so, it will have a plastic bracket at the rear.

Pedro is correct in everything he writes. There's a danger, not only of losing the wanted signal, but of suffering interference from unwanted signals. I guess you could try it and see but the adverse effects may not immediately be obvious. I wouldn't dream of asking one of my customers to accept a buckled dish.

I got a better Idea! if the dish got damaged on transit the seller could claim off the courier company. So seller should not loose anything by replacing you a new dish.

But I also would like know what satellite you would like to watch!!! I had a dish with a dent similar to yours on my triax 1.10 (similar to yours but mine was white). Mine fallen down from 2.5mt with the motor and the bracket (on my garden luckily) during a windy day (fault of some plastic fisher wall plugs). I choose to reinstall it and I have to say that I provably lost 5% of signal (quality on satellites down over the 30w I'm located in west London) but the east side was looking pretty much the same except that I could not watch nilesat and arabsat as they froze often). Other then that I think I was ok from 45e to 43w (something like that as this happened in 2003 when I had my first motorises). Funny enough I just fitted my 2nd 1.1 triax motorized dish in my new house yestarday for the first time after 7 years... But I need to final tune it as I cannot find enough analog channels on my satlook mark III. :mad: I might need a new meter :mad:

Let me know if you need any help on setting up your dish! I'm not a pro but I can give you some advise on how to install a motorized your self.

Last edited:
I got a better Idea! if the dish got damaged on transit the seller could claim off the courier company. So seller should not loose anything by replacing you a new dish.

Only if the OP did not sign for the dish as "undamaged". I get this all the time with my customers. They sign for a box as "undamaged" then a few weeks later they get around to opening it and discover that the contents are bashed beyond recognition.

Not only do they slag me off for shipping "damaged goods" (we don't - everything is inspected) AND complain that they need to use it the next day (suddenly it's urgent), they land me with the replacement bill because obviously it's impossible to claim against the carrier. Sometimes it's hard to be polite! :rolleyes:

We always try to pick up dishes in person from the suppliers & inspect them first or if we can't & they're delivered, unbox them & inspect them before signing for them, you can get pressure from the delivery staff as to the delay doing that, who are pretty good, but that is the whole idea of signing for a delivery.

Most other items usually get signed for if there isn't obvious signs of trauma to the packaging.

Recently I saw the state of packaging an item that had been returned in (via Royal Mail) - turned out to be not faulty but it looked like it had been round the world a couple of times, not just 2 journeys - after seeing that, all packaging got uprated. I think they are still very good in many other ways though.

But I also would like know what satellite you would like to watch!!! I had a dish with a dent similar to yours on my triax 1.10 (similar to yours but mine was white). Mine fallen down from 2.5mt with the motor and the bracket (on my garden luckily) during a windy day (fault of some plastic fisher wall plugs). I choose to reinstall it and I have to say that I provably lost 5% of signal (quality on satellites down over the 30w I'm located in west London) but the east side was looking pretty much the same except that I could not watch nilesat and arabsat as they froze often). Other then that I think I was ok from 45e to 43w (something like that as this happened in 2003 when I had my first motorises). Funny enough I just fitted my 2nd 1.1 triax motorized dish in my new house yestarday for the first time after 7 years... But I need to final tune it as I cannot find enough analog channels on my satlook mark III. :mad: I might need a new meter :mad:

Let me know if you need any help on setting up your dish! I'm not a pro but I can give you some advise on how to install a motorized your self.

That might not be the best advert for a good install...

If you have a damaged 1.1 Triax- which is a heavy dish & has high wind loading which you then need a better spec motor/ brackets, fixings & building know how for etc.. it is almost certainly only working as a 60-80 plus added noise (as noted above)- you can get 45e - 45w on a sky z1 dish, but using a 1.1m and all the extras it needs is all about the weak satellites.... Nilesat, Arabsat (BADR4) & the Nordic beams etc.. that is what dictates that size, otherwise you are better off with a smaller (un-bent) quality dish.

Nilesat(7w) & Arabsat(BADR4-26e) carry some of the best free to air English/US movies/programs on the arc (+ non fta footy on 7w btw) - that is usually why we put 1.1s up here. When you add Freesat to that (& a few others scattered around the arc) it's quite a package and can get free movie Premiers before Sky.... all legit & without any card sharing or patching.

Last edited:
Nilesat(7w) & Arabsat(BADR4-26e) carry some of the best free to air English/US movies/programs on the arc (+ non fta footy on 7w btw) - that is usually why we put 1.1s up here. When you add Freesat to that (& a few others scattered around the arc) it's quite a package and can get free movie Premiers before Sky.... all legit & without any card sharing or patching.

Is it really all legit though?! The footprint isn't meant to be received in the uk, because the broadcast isn't meant to be received here... So it isn't really legal!

Is it really all legit though?! The footprint isn't meant to be received in the uk, because the broadcast isn't meant to be received here... So it isn't really legal!

What the hell are you on about. Under EU directives anyone has the right to receive any FTA broadcast - full stop. If it was not meant to be received here they would encrypt. As it is FTA it is completely and utterly legal regardless of whether you say the footprint says it is not meant to be received here. It is more legit than your PSP with custom firmware.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That dish still looks like a Triax to me- the ali' feed arm/ LNB holder is the same & the AZ/EL bolts are similar - Triax make quite a few versions including a basic range, we only use the TD range.

The motor looks like the same model as the Dark Motor & modern Superjacks which we think are better than the Motecks and do use them for installations although STABs & original Superjacks are used on the bigger dishes/ exposed locations. The LNB looks like a budget one but they can still be OK, the L bracket looks like a thin one but pictures don't always show build quality.

I'd ask them to change the dish face and for them to cover return post costs if they want it returned (they should just ask you to bin IMO unless they want to take it further re who caused that damage)- and show them this thread.

Also - is that same kit advertised elsewhere at £50 too?

That dish still looks like a Triax to me- the ali' feed arm/ LNB holder is the same & the AZ/EL bolts are similar - Triax make quite a few versions including a basic range, we only use the TD range.

The motor looks like the same model as the Dark Motor & modern Superjacks which we think are better than the Motecks and do use them for installations although STABs & original Superjacks are used on the bigger dishes/ exposed locations. The LNB looks like a budget one but they can still be OK, the L bracket looks like a thin one but pictures don't always show build quality.

I'd ask them to change the dish face and for them to cover return post costs if they want it returned (they should just ask you to bin IMO unless they want to take it further re who caused that damage)- and show them this thread.

Also - is that same kit advertised elsewhere at £50 too?

wheres it sold at £50 :mad:

ah.. they don't... just seen what it was .. they just use the same picture several times ex or inc a motor ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom