Damaged B&W's advice please

elliottpjs

Standard Member
I have a year old pair of B&W 602 S3's

Unfortuantly the centre cone section of one of the drives was badly broken by a visiting baby :mad:

I guess I need to replace the entire driver?

Also how will just replacing one unit affect the balance as far as 'running in' and matched pairs is concerned?

Also any ideas on cost of repair?

Thanks, Pete.

HI,

I had to replace this driver on my b&w 603-3 a few months ago as the driver got dented when I moved house and forgot to put the grills back on. I contacted b7w and was expecting the price to be well over £100 but it cost me £73 inc next day delivery and there service was excellent.

With regards to running in I did'nt really bother and just re-placed the speaker and ran them as normal. Eventually it will run itself in to be the same as your older speaker as they will only get run in so far.

Hope this helps.

sjj84

Either try your local dealer or contact B&W directly, I've found them to be very helpful and quick to respond.

morksbeanbag

I have a cosmetically perfect 602 S3 driver spare on my shelf, the voice coil is dead but if you want the centre dustcap then you can have it for free if it'll help you out.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I would contact your dealer. Technosound seem to be a little expensive.

I would agree there, the tweeter diaphragm for a DM60*S3 should be about £20 and not the £26 they are charging.

I would speak to your local dealer who will be able to supply and fit the drive unit you are needing for about £60.

elliottpjs

Standard Member
Thanks very much for all your feedback guys, Have been on to Seven Oakes Hi-Fi, my local B&W dealer in Plymouth and just waiting for a price,

Pete.

morksbeanbag

trailer

I would contact your dealer. Technosound seem to be a little expensive.

Agreed, I was only providing the link just to give an idea of the pricing involved for spares. If you contacted B&W, as the original poster has done, I'm sure any repair would also be guaranteed too.

SimonTSM

Hopefully they will be better than Monitor Audio who took 4 months and would have cost £125 to get the replacement part for the tweeter.

Poor service from MA's part. Thought they would have liked me to say we sold the most amount of Gold and Silver Series speakers for any UK store. :nono:

elliottpjs

Standard Member
Ordered New driver through my dealer on Wednesday, it arrived at the shop and was ready for fitting on friday, good overall service from B&W i'd say! Wanted it sent direct to me so i could fit it myself, but they were reluctent to let me do this due to future warrenty claims, Pete.

Rizob

Ordered New driver through my dealer on Wednesday, it arrived at the shop and was ready for fitting on friday, good overall service from B&W i'd say! Wanted it sent direct to me so i could fit it myself, but they were reluctent to let me do this due to future warrenty claims, Pete.

Any chance of mentioning how much it cost? I own the 602S3s as well so it will be handy to know.

elliottpjs

Standard Member
Yeah, total Cost is £80 which includes fitting by a B&W dealer and VAT, I'm sure some will think that's a little high! But that then couvers against any future problems and couvers the Warenty. Have seen the unit for £70, follow the link provided at the top of the page, Pete.

Rizob

Yeah, total Cost is £80 which includes fitting by a B&W dealer and VAT, I'm sure some will think that's a little high! But that then couvers against any future problems and couvers the Warenty. Have seen the unit for £70, follow the link provided at the top of the page, Pete.
Cheers :smashin:

It doesn't seem too bad to be honest, if it stops you having to buy a new pair of speakers!

elliottpjs

Standard Member
Though I now have my nice driver replacement, I can't but help feeling a little pi**ed off. the driver that came out of speaker was dated "2002" and had a golden glow about it's appearence. The replacement driver from B&W does not have this same depth and appears very yellow, now not matching to other speaker at all! Not too sure what to do about this?..........

Pete.

lawrenso

Banned
Complain to B&W - you might get a new pair of speakers out of it - also, check with consumer direct as to your rights - at worst you should receive your money back

Cheers

Lawrenso

Chiribo

Though I now have my nice driver replacement, I can't but help feeling a little pi**ed off. the driver that came out of speaker was dated "2002" and had a golden glow about it's appearence. The replacement driver from B&W does not have this same depth and appears very yellow, now not matching to other speaker at all! Not too sure what to do about this?..........

Pete.
Wouldn't this golden glow be part of the wearing the new part in and exposure to light and whatnot?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member

Pete.

The kevlar material that B&W uses in the drive unit naturally darkens with exposure to sunlight, this is not a fault nor something you can do anyhting about. The only optionsare to buy another replacement drive unit to match the new one, or leave the new one for a few months after which it should naturally darkewn towards the colour of the older one in the other speaker.

elliottpjs

Standard Member
Thanks, for the replys, the above comment is entirely correct. Spoke to B&W thismorning and was insured the new unit would naturally darken with time.

lawrenso

Banned
Complain to B&W - you might get a new pair of speakers out of it - also, check with consumer direct as to your rights - at worst you should receive your money back

Cheers

Lawrenso

OOps - just scanned the post last night, and I thought you was on about the sound !!! (Why aren't my smilies working anymore!!)

:oops: (done manually!)

Lawrenso

DaveOrch

Standard Member
I have a cosmetically perfect 602 S3 driver spare on my shelf, the voice coil is dead but if you want the centre dustcap then you can have it for free if it'll help you out.

Hi, I have a broekn dust cap for a 602.S3 - You wouldn't still have a spare dust cap by any chance?

Thanks,
Dave.

bluedroog

I blew the bass unit on my B&W DM602 S2 a year or so back. Just phone up B&W spares and repairs on the number below with credit card details and they will send the part out to you. Really great service and changing the part is child's play. No soldering or anything the wires just clip in place, do her back up a you're done. I can't notice a huge difference between the run in sound and not. Perhaps the shade of yellow is a little brighter on the newer Kevlar cone.

B&W Group Ltd - Spares / Service - Support
Service Department, Dale Road
Worthing, West Sussex
BN11 2BH
Tel: 01903 221700
Fax:
Email: [email protected]
Web: Home Theater, iPod & Hi-Fi Speakers

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News