Dallas/Fort Worth & Austin

rousetafarian

Reaction score
I'm over in Texas from Saturday for around 10 days, and whilst my family over there will be good guides for the Fort Worth area, not so much around Dallas.

We are planning to take a couple of days down in Austin, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for BBQ, sights and things to do with 3 adults and 2 kids (7 & 11).

Thanks in advance

Sorry I can't help but I look forward to reading your thoughts on the above places when you return as hopefully I will be travelling there next year. I did Houston/Galveston/New Orleans last year and that was fantastic. Enjoy.

I got some work colleagues in Austin, I'll give them a shout and let you know.

Here you go, from someone who lives in Austin.

BBQ - Franklin Barbecue
• $$ • Barbecue Restaurant • Central East Austin
• Long lines form early for brisket, pulled pork & other smoked meats at this lunch-only spot.
• Address: 900 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702
Phone:(512) 653-1187
Menu: franklinbarbecue.com

Tex Mex: Chuy's Chuy's Dot Com

For the family fun:
Lake Austin, Barton Springs Pool, Hamilton Pool, Mount Bonnell
Kayaking/Canoeing/Rowing at Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake)

For the adults there is the famous 6th street
The most famous, well known street in Austin. 6th street (formerly known as Pecan Street) serves as Austin’s heart of entertainment and nightlife scene.
The old historical buildings are now used as bars, music venues, cafes, art galleries, etc. If you want to experience Austin’s crazy nightlife, 6th street is the place to go.
Listen To Live Music- Emo’s, Stubb’s, ACL Live, and Mohawk.

Part 2 from someone else in Austin......

Austin Capitol Tours
Plan Your Visit to the Texas Capitol - The State Preservation Board - Caretakers
of the Texas Capitol

The Bob Bullock Museum
Visit the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
IMAX -http://The Bullock's groundbreaking educational exhbitions engage visitors with Texas state history in a way that encourages an intimate personal experience with The Story of Texas

Zilker Park
Zilker Metropolitan Park | Parks and Recreation | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

If they are in Austin on the 30th
The Bullock's groundbreaking educational exhbitions engage visitors with Texas state history in a way that encourages an intimate personal experience with The Story of Texas

Umlauf Sculpture Garden
Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum: Art Framed by Nature

Austin Duck Adventures
Austin Duck Adventures | Land and Lake Tours of Austin

Mount Bonnell
Parks, trails, and open space in Austin and Travis County | Austin Parks Foundation

Maybe not the best time of year but it may be worth a try – The Congress Avenue Bat Bridge
The Congress Avenue Bridge Bats in Austin

Main Event
Bowling - Laser Tag - Birthday Parties - Family Entertainment - fun family place, games and food

iFly Austin
iFLY Austin Indoor Skydiving Great Local Entertainment & Events - for daring family members

Indoor Go Carts
K1 Speed | Indoor Go-Kart Racing Austin

For places to eat:
BBQ
The Salt Lick - The Salt Lick – kid friendly, long wait time on the weekends
Black's Barbecue :: Restaurant > Locations - Blacks BBQ – Austin – kid friendly
Lamberts Downtown Barbecue. Fancy Barbecue, Austin TX. - Lamberts – kid friendly, downtown, more upscale BBQ

Mexican Food
Chuy's Dot Com - Chuys - kid friendly
HULA HUT © 2011 - Hula Hut – kid friendly
3825 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
Malaga Tapas & Bar - Home - More adult but still kid friendly
Torchy's Tacos - Damn Good Tacos - Torchys Tacos – multiple locations, kid friendly

Pizza
Home Slice Pizza - Kid friendly, good pizza

Downtown Restaurants – more upscale, kids are welcome
Moonshine Grill - Great brunch on the weekends, but there’s usually an hour wait or longer
Eddie V's Prime Seafood & Steaks | Restaurant & Lounge | Live Jazz - Good seafood
Truluck's » Seafood Steak & Crab House - Good seafood

A little out of the way, but great farm to table fresh food
Jack Allen's Kitchen - Great weekend brunch but again get there early as the wait is usually over an hour

Treats
The kids usually like this place
The Home of Amy's Ice Creams - Amy's Ice Creams - Amy’s Ice Cream , multiple locations around town

Hope that helps. If they know where they are staying it also helps as some of these are scattered throughout the city

Wow, thanks a million that's a great list to be starting with!

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom