Question DALI Zensor to be used as ATMOS speakers powered by Denon

sylm2000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello - I have Dali Oberon 7 (Front L+R) plus Dali Zensor Vokal and Dali 9F subwoofer plus 4 x Zensor 1 powered by Denon AVRX2400H AV Receiver. Due to the room set-up, all four zensor 1 are placed on a wall bracket close to the ceiling slightly toed towards the listening position. My understanding is that ATMOS speakers are not technically different so was wondering if I can use the zensor 1 (front height R+L) as atmos down fired. Does anyone have suggestions or experience of using bookshelf speakers like Zensor as down-firing speakers? Denon supports ATMOS so that’s okay from amp point of view.

I assume that you have two on front wall and two on back wall?

If so, then the X2400 will allow you to assign the front two as Front Height L&R - they need to be connected to the Surround Back (last 2) connectors and setup in Amp Assign as Front Height.

Dolby setting is designed for up-firing DA enabled speakers. Check the manual for all setup options.

yes thank you that's correct. I have two on the front wall and two on the back - all four slightly toed in.

Okay - will check that out! This weekend I am adding the two Oberon 7 to the config as well

Those are fantastic speakers - I demo'ed them at RS but they are too big for my setup, so had to settle for the Oberon 5's.

Same for me ... managed to get a good price at exceptional Av for open box so couldn't resist the addition.
Would you recommend 4 ATMOS (front and back L&R) or just front two L&R?

Your AVR can only do 5.1.2 as it is a 7 channel amp, you would need to go to 9 channel to do 5.1.4.

If you are thinking 3.1.4, that is not a supported config AFAIK.

You are limited to 5.1.2. For any higher then you have to go for the Denon X3600 or higher. You have two speakers high on the front wall and these could be repurposed for Atmos. You would then need another pair as front left and right. The surrounds are again high on the rear wall. They will have to be removed and placed at a seated head height, or just above. That will also apply to the new fronts.

With Atmos you need speaker separation between the base 5.1 and the Atmos layer. Otherwise it will not work properly with a highly placed base level, your surrounds, coming from the same level as the Atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom