dali zensor 5 or monitor audio bx for my yamaha rxv2065

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chaos123007, Jan 6, 2012.

1. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi all

im wondering if the dali 5 is better than the monitor audio bx

as the bx has been knocked of the best buy section and its the dalis that are there instead.

are 6ohms better than 8 ohms or doesnt it matter dnt really understand ohms.

anyways if anyone has used them both on a yamaha rxv2065 please advise me.

i know that the bronze are highly rated for the yamaha so im a bit
    confused.

i currently have all my speakers biwired and present and hope that by goin back the way doesnt decrease the sound.

so these are my 2 choices any help please

thanx

2. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone?

3. R B Customs

R B Customs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hello,

personally I prefer the Dali's - but to be honest I've never really been that taken with any of monitor audio's latest offerings. you really need to demo them side by side - which any store would have no problem letting you (they would be daft if they didn't)

I try to use reviews as a rough guide to get towards a shortlist, but honestly, you need to listen for your self. I recently demod a wide range of loudspeakers and I was already sold on monitor audio RX6's just by reading about them - in demo though I felt no reason to buy them at all. Some people are quite happy with letting magazines make choices for them though!

the difference between 6 and 8 ohms will not give you any issues. Speakers with lower 'ohms' are generally harder to drive. 6-8 ohm is standard and nearly all amplifiers will be able to handle them. It's only when you get to 4 ohm speakers where you will have issues. but 4 ohm speakers are usually only seen on high-end models, or extremly cheap all-in-one systems.

the lower the ohms means the amp has to do more work to drive them. ohms measure resistance. imaging drinking liquid through aone of those tiny red drinking straws - that's easy enough but the resistance is reasonably high. call that 8 ohms

now imagine drinking through a regular straw - the resistance is less but you have to do a little more work. call that 6 ohms

now imagine drinking through a large hose pipe - the resistance is greatly reduced but you have to maintain some serious sucking to keep the hose filled with liquid and keep it going - call that 4 ohm

that's a massive generalisation and should not be seen as exact - but that's a good way of visualising how low-ohm speakers put extra strain on amps. and mostr amps are built to the average load.

4. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ave read a cpl of posts concernin the dalis performance and they say they perform better on the yamaha than the monitior audios do and the MA ment to be a good match

was all set for the monitor audio bronze

dalis, 6ohm
    MA, 8ohms

currently all my speakers are biwired and 8ohms so i hope by not goin biwired i wnt be makin a mistake, it is hard to get all biwired in a budget

5. R B Customs

R B Customs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm confused about your bi-wiring situation...

you can't bi-amp or bi-wire the Dali's but you can bi-wire and bi-amp the MA's

do you mean bi-wiring or do you mean bi-amping?
    there's hardly any advantage to bi-wiring, other than someone making a bit more money out of selling more cable. some may not agree, but I've never heard any difference at all between the two.

bi-amping on the other hand can offer an advantage.

you can't bi-amp or bi-wire the Dali's but you can bi-wire and bi-amp the MA's

you really need to demo them though - i've heard both and they both sound different.

6. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    biwiring as in my current speakers have 4 terminals instead of 2, i think the MA and dali dnt

cheers

7. Nerved One

Nerved One
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Another vote for Dali....they really do offer good bang for bucks.

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The 2065 really needs better speakers than the BX range to get the best from it. A better pairing with your amp would be to look at the RX range instead.

9. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    RX range out of my price range

trying to find out if the dalis are a better pairing than the BX range.

its took me 2 year to save up this far lol

no sure if i can save up any longer for more expensive speakers.

do dalis offer better than MA bx, are they better value for money and do dalis pair well with the yammy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. R B Customs

R B Customs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sorry, I'm still no further forward with this. do you have your current speakers [whatever they may be] "BI-AMPED" or just "BI-WIRED" ? I don't know if the amp you are using supports bi-amping or not - I'm not familiar with that amp.

if they are bi-wired you will have one pair of terminals from the amp, feeding two pairs of terminals on the speaker.

if they are bi-amped you will have two pairs of terminals from the amp feeding two pairs of terminals on the speaker. usually the extra two terminals are taken from the 'surround back' outputs from the amp, once set up in the menus of course.

in each configuration above you need four cores of speaker cable. bi wiring would have 4 cores at one end and two (joined) at the other, while bi-amping would have individual cores.

11. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Ive been using MA BX2, centre and BXFX for about a year now and ive been hugely impressed with their performance for what they cost, i dont think theres many speakers out there at all that can beat them at the price bracket.

There are speakers that will go louder or deeper but the bx's seem like the best all rounders, the sound is very open and clear and with a good sub doin the heavy liftin your really cant go wrong at all for that kind of money.

Since using them i've consistantly heard sounds from empty space around the room when watching films/tv that i never heard with my old tannoy setup, to me this is always the sign of a good speaker that can pick out subtle details.

The star of the show though has to the bxfx surrounds, it was the first time ive heard bipole surrounds but im completely sold now, i love the pin point accuracy they give me but at the same time you get a very diffuse sound that envelopes you like, well, surround sound!!:thumbsup:

There are better speakers out there but they cost more money, in my view the BX range is a star performer considering the cost.

12. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yeah there biwired mate, some ppl say theres no much a difference to biwiring and some ppl say there is maybe its different for different speakers but i did notice a difference, i have in the past and still am usin non home cinema speakers.

this will be the first time i will be my first purchase of proper home cinema speakers.

well ppl are sayin the dalis are better but wouldnt know or havent seen reviews of them

still undecided.

itll be in a 7.1 setup thats what attracted me to the bx

13. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Everyone'll say the same thing, but get out and listen to as many speakers as you can. Get a feel for different characteristics and dynamics that the various ranges and brands offer, before committing your hard earned dosh.

Also, I'd recommend starting with 5.1 and deciding if 7.1 is desired. My experiments with 7.1 didn't yield terribly massive gains over my 5.1 setup. Also freeing up the rears enabled me to bi-amp my rx8's, which was a big improvement.

14. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx for the input guys, may end u goin for the tried and tested monitor audios.

i cant go and test them, im miles away from the nearest home cinema store

never looked at dalis b4, havent even heard of them lol but they replaced the monitor audios in best buys on whathifi

15. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's worth going out of your way, and making a day of it. It really helps make an informed decision. Believe me, the enjoyment and perception of audio, in terms of music, movie soundtrack, or videogame effects is so subjective that reviews only really give you an idea of what's out there.

Buying a speaker because it got 5 stars in what hi-fi can be disastrous - you flat out might not like the sound. Even a shop demo isn't 100% the best possible way to go (home demo is the way) but it really does give you insight. Especially if you haven't heard the signature elements of the main ranges in your price bracket (ccam drivers in monitor audio speakers, uni-q tweeter in KEF designs etc.).

On top of it all, and for me most importantly - its lots of fun. Listening to your favourite material across a broad selection of kit can lead to hearing things you've never heard before. Whether that's because you've revealed that a favorite cd is a rubbish recording (bad I suppose), or you've just unveiled a layer of new detail in a good recording (good), the results are still really interesting and instructive. My opinion, of course.

16. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I heard Dali Concept, which I think no longer exist and are Zensor(?) in a shop in Finland last month and they sounded way better then the BX5 they wer next too..

17. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well ave heard good things about the dalis over the monitor audios but nothing solid

also i do not use my amp for music at all just gaming and movies, if that makes any difference?

18. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It means you can worry less about the fullness of sound coming from your front pair, and consider having satellite speakers with a properly integrated sub to save space. The best surround sound comes from having a perfect driver match all the way round. There are still advantages to having big front speakers (no stands needed, more oomph in soundtracks etc.) but without music listening, the alternatives at least become viable.

Personally, I've always had floorstanders - I just prefer having the bass extension that they tend to bring.

Your quote above kind of highlights a problem when trying to choose speakers. No-one can really tell you which is best, for music, movies or otherwise. It always comes down to opinion (unless a speaker is outright badly designed - not that common I think)

19. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi thanx again for the advice, i also go for floor standers dunno how much a difference it makes but i have always done it for looks and it seem to be the norm for most ppl, i wish i had saved the post about the dalis it was talking about how the dalis sounded better than the MA and that was also on a yamaha amp, not my model but i would imagine same result.

i wnt be buying a sub as i already have one, must be 10 years old but im happy with it, its a yamaha yst sw 320

20. thedoctor180

thedoctor180
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm aware this is an old thread but as I am a new member I feel compelled to re open this and try explain this misleading information!

First off bi wiring from amp to speakers requires 2 sets of speaker output terminals (not one?) from the amplifier (A & B switching)
    2 lengths of cable is then run from the A & B output terminals of the amplifier to the speakers.
    Removing the jumper bars from both speakers then allows the tweeter and bass to run independently
    bypassing the crossover.

Running 2 lengths of cable from 1 set of amplifier (speaker) outputs will do nothing what so ever apart,
    from cost double the out lay for cable. There is no scientific reason that would supports this.

As for bi amplification (bi amping) the clue is in the word bi! means 2 or roughly translated double,
    therefor requires 2 amplifiers.....
    (This can not be achieved with 1 amplifier not even with 2 speaker outputs)

The amps are then bridged via RCA in/out. 2 sets of speaker cables are run then from amp 1 and amp 2's left and right channels, in theory to give double the output to the speakers and more control in sonic performance bla! bla!bla! it also runs the tweeters and bass independently on each channel.

Although bi amplification can make a significant difference in power and sonic performance there is NO
    scientific reason for bi wiring if you are not prepared to bi amp in the first instance.

Beware there's lots of audio Ga Ga out there from the industry but, very little scientific fact to back all their claims up?

Here's the most famous one from any hi fi dealer.....

Now HURRY! you must go out and spend at least 20% of your Hi Fi total cost on stupendous speaker cable and finely tuned interconnects .., At least £80 a meter on speaker wire from the chord company plus £150 on each interconnect!! Slight exaggeration admitted.

( you wouldn't be pleased if you new the manufacturers cost of such dynamic
    improvements or the profit margin for retailers)

Now you must hear a difference cause you've spent so much right?! well you probably do but only because your brain tells you you must.

I challenge anyone to do a blind listening test of their own with speaker cable ok it does have to be of a certain quality length and diameter, 150 strand should do it that's about the same as any electrical appliance uses.

yep! go in the shed get that old extension you don't use anymore and cut 2 lengths of 2 to 3 meters for each speaker discard the earth by cutting it short. or go to a store and spend around 20p a meter.

Now swap your all new fancy oxygen free super silver conductor cable you paid stupid amounts a meter for for the 10 year old super cable from the shed Oh, don't forget to check if that old stuff is directional first because that's ver ver important! hehe sorry that wasn't called for.

The test should be done over 1 to 2 hours with the same 3 to 4 tracks preferably with no distraction.
    Its a good idea to use a basic sound meter between the two speakers on a table at your usual listening position to hear any shifts in db at certain points within the chosen tracks ( jot these down) When your happy you now your music (verbatim) swap the lawn mower string for your super shielded shiny performance rope or better still get someone else to do it while you ponder, better still have it changed without knowing what your listening to?
    This should be done as quick as possible to give the best results to your ear, have them both lined up
    ready to change quick sharp, then you make your own mind up?

I'm not saying the audio boffins that give us this spiel are corrupt no not at all I'm just out to prove it!
    After all its just another business making money..... tbc

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  21. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    OK firstly, welcome to AVForums!
    You haven't really added anything to the discussion that cannot be found in any number of threads on this forum. Neither have you added any more significant supporting evidence other than your own opinion. However that opinion is just as welcome on AVForums as all the others. I'll leave this thread open for your brief response!

22. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    +1 for the Dali 5's......great little floorstanders!

23. Paul Selwood

Paul Selwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a pair of dali floorstander 5. For 3 weeks. I had them link up to acram a19 and CA 550C and CA 650T. They were to smooth for me, the sound felt that it was coming from below my ears. It a good job I get my epos epic 1 speakers. As they sound alive.

24. chaos123007

chaos123007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi, I ended up getting the monitor rx series, I found there was only a slight difference in sound when biwiring them and the same again with upgrading the speaker cable, I done some research into the silver cables and found that almost all speakers aren't designed or built to use silver cables and in a few instances the silver cables can actually make the speakers sound worse because of this, I ended up getting supra cables, tin plated as I was reading about tin plating being the perfect choice a slightly better than copper and a better match for almost all speakers compared to silver plating, If you can understand this, its all very hard to explain but that's the info I found out from independent scientific sources and not speaker wire companies that may or may not be misleading customers it to paying vast amounts of money on silver cables, it may make a difference on really high end stuff but bottom to mid ranged systems are fine with copper or tin plated making a small but noticeable difference.